Don't Use A Paper Filter

dietgoaldietgoal
edited May 2013 in Bulletproof Coffee

Dave would be the first to admit that this is a work-in-progress and I'm convinced that he said in an early podcast to use paper filters. In his recent LondonLive broadcast however, he "upgraded" that suggestion to use a metal filter. 

The reason? 

To avoid filtering the essential oils from the coffee. How can you tell though if they don't taste?

I did a test.

I re-filtered my brewed coffee after adding coconut oil.

Why coconut oil?

1. Coco oil has a distinct taste and 2. I cannot get MCT oil where I'm located.

The result? 

Absolutely disgusting. Don't do It!  Don't use a paper filter. 

Hope it helps.

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction. 

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

I've been paper filtering almost since I first started (first few with a french press). Been meaning to look into this more as there seems to be conflicting theories.

I've got both, so which is more bulletproof?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Well Dave says the coffee oils are important and it shouldnt be filtered out, and if you check any 'metal filter for aeropress' customer reviews on amazon, you will see people talking about coffee oils being filtered by paper but not by metal.

• I think Dave said a gold filter in his LondonLive broadcast, but I'm short of time to listen to it again - it's long!

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction. 

• I've always used a paper filter and never had a problem...

Will definitely look into the metal filters though. Thanks for sharing.

Jake

My Fitness and Nutrition Blog: http://JJStrength.com

• I remember in a podcast Dave said there were some negative oils that the filter absorbing saved you from.  Sorry, have listened to so many not sure which one that tidbit was from.  But I am 100% sure this is what was said, just not what oil nor what podcast.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Removes this I thought 

http://www.wisegeek....is-cafestol.htm

Cafestol is a substance found in coffee beans. Depending on how the beans are processed and brewed, cafestol is present in varying levels in the coffee itself. The chemical is still being studied, but it has been shown to have a number of properties which are of concern to scientists and doctors. Both Arabica and Robusta beans have been demonstrated to contain cafestol.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I have been using a french press for the past year. Make sure if you are getting a press you get one of the double-walled stainless steel ones, Ive had a glass bodum one before buy it broke in less than a year. 

Does anyone know where you might get very fine french press filter replacement? I like french press but not the grit it leaves behind, and I dont want to have to do this every morning. Maybe i'll just buy a gold filter and pour it through. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

What's the story with the gold filters?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Based on what I found below, cafestol may not be the best for our health as it seems to increase triglycerols and LDL cholesterol.

Using paper filters seems healthier since it can prevent the cafestol to pass into the coffee.

It would be nice if Dave could give us more insights on the reason behind using stainless steel filters. Maybe this was addressed in a previous post/blog/podcast. If anyone knows and can give me the link, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

From wikipedia:

"Cafestol is a diterpene molecule present in coffee. A typical bean of Coffea arabica contains about 0.6% cafestol by weight. Cafestol is present in highest quantity in unfiltered coffee drinks such as French press coffee or Turkish coffee/Greek coffee. In filtered coffee drinks such as drip brewed coffee, it is present in only negligible amounts. Studies have shown that regular consumption of boiled coffee increases serum cholesterol by 8% in men and 10% in women. For those drinking filter coffee, the effect was only significant for women."

From PubMed --> Free article in Molecular Endocrinology 2007: The cholesterol-raising factor from coffee beans, cafestol, as an agonist ligand for the farnesoid and pregnane X receptors:

"Consumption of unfiltered coffee brews such as the Scandinavian-type boiled, cafetière (French-press), and Turkish coffee raises triacylglycerol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL)-cholesterol concentrations in humans (123). A high intake of boiled coffee was associated with hypercholesterolemia and risk of coronary heart disease in Norway and Finland (145), and cafestol was later identified as the factor responsible (678). Scandinavian and other unfiltered coffee brews contain 3–6 mg cafestol per cup, with variable but smaller amounts present in espresso coffee (3)."

"Cafestol has been shown to suppress bile acid synthesis in APOE3Leiden mice by down-regulation of CYP7A1 (26), with a concomitant increase in serum lipids similar to that observed in humans (26)."

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Listen to the latest Joe Rogan Podcast #361 with Dave Asprey.

Biggest thing I took out of it was the filtering of your coffee. Paper filters out, metal filters in. Seems like a bit of a change from what I remember early. Might have to dig out that french press!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• hario makes a stainless steel filter  

• How about cloth filter?

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Think the point is to leave in the coffee oils, which metal does and paper and cloth don't.

You should listen to the podcast and make your own opinion.

I'm still unsure which is the best method, but doubt either is gonna make a massive difference.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• The whole point of my original post, is that you probably cannot tell the difference in taste. If you filter coconut oil with a paper filter, then you CAN taste the difference, so that means the paper filter is holding things back. If it does that for the coco oil then it is most certainly doing it for the coffee too.