Ces And Tdcs

I noticed that the CES machine was taken off of Upgraded self recently.  I'm curious to know why and also, how did Dave use the CES machine to hack your sleep? Also, does anyone have any recommendations on machines that are fairly inexpensive but can do CES and tDCS. Thanks.

Comments

• I'm looking into building a tDCs machine. It does look pretty straight forward, although there are many systematic diagrams out there. Once I find out what each component does exactly I'll send a post here.

To the best of my knowledge, you want 1-2mA of current across your brain (there are diagrams that tells you what the exact sites are), and the primary concerns are 1. sending too much current across your brain (countered by having a fuse, say... at 2mA), and 2. inconsistent current (can be prevented using a current/voltage regulators). Other than that, it really looks like a high school physics lab work, but hey, let me look into it a little bit more.

There are other bits and bobs like an LED light to indicate the machine is switched on etc.

As for CES, I believe it uses AC current? Slightly more foreign to me than a simple DC circuit. There's a schematic diagram on www.redcircuits.com/page19.htm but I'll have to study it a bit more. (Been a while since I did electronics!)
  • AndreasAndreas ✭✭
    edited October 2012
    Hi Chandra -- Any further info on your research?
  • I have built a tDCS device and have been using direct current stimulation for over a year now. I have conducted a number of experiments that have positively demonstrated the method's ability to enhance my cognitive functions. With the device I have increased my working memory and problem solving skills in a number of cognitively challenging tasks.

The most important find (and the one most relevant to a bulletproof lifestyle seeker) is that I have found (and so have many scientists) that tDCS is most effective at assisting in new skill acquisition. It shortens learning time and drastically decreases errors caused by inexperience.
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Discover how to become limitless through cognitive and physical enhancement. Join the conversation at http://www.getlimitless.com[/font]
  • @anthonylee -- Can you post plans for your tDCS device?
  • @Andreas

My youtube channel youtube.com/anthonynlee has a video explaining how to build one. Its called "How to build a tDCS device"...not very clever I know. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Discover how to become limitless through cognitive and physical enhancement. Join the conversation at http://www.getlimitless.com[/font]
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    I am so proud of everyones talents. I am going to look at the youtube channels and just soak some of this stuff. Literally mind blowing image/icon_e_ugeek.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ugeek:' /> image/icon_razz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-P' />

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• @AdamFiddler diagrams and additional info are all located on this blog post: http://getlimitless.greek-fire.com/Community/Blog/tabid/146/EntryId/52/How-to-Build-a-tDCS-That-Shouldnt-Kill-You.aspx

Total this probably cost me about eighty bucks (electronics lab, plus multimeter, plus certain components like the LM334 and resistors).
  • @anthonynlee Nice work with the blog and the YouTube videos! Where did you get the materials to build your electrodes?
  • @JasonHooper I bought Amrex sponge electrodes from Amazon (they have a wire mesh inlet with a whole for a banana clip) and then I took regular hook up wire, peeled off the insulation and folded it up until it would fit in the banana clip hole.

If you have a large enough power source (using a breadboard with two 9V batteries for example) you could use TENS electrodes (they provide too much resistance when only using one 9V). Then all you have to do is shove the hook up wire in the connector wire, or wrap it around a screw and shove the screw in it.

I tried building my own electrodes by soldering hook up wire to pieces of monster energy drink can, then wrapping the tin in sponges. That didn't work. image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-)' />
  • Awesome. I am doing the openstim project and they did not provide a lot of information on the electrodes.
  • "The most important find (and the one most relevant to a bulletproof lifestyle seeker) is that I have found (and so have many scientists) that tDCS is most effective at assisting in new skill acquisition. It shortens learning time and drastically decreases errors caused by inexperience."

Anthony, can this be used for motor learning skills? I am trying to change a part of my golf swing after many years of doing a particular motor pattern.

Thanks,

Jim
  • High voltage TENS is better for motor skills. Listen to podcast #27.
  • @jimper Yes. The part of the brain stimulated is the primary motor cortex (left side I believe). However, you may find it easier to apply neurofeedback for that particular skill.

I invite you to look into my response on THIS thread: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/126-neurofeedback/
  • I invite you to look into my response on THIS thread: http://forum.bulletp...-neurofeedback/

Anthony, I did read this but I believe they are using biofeedback to mimic certain parameters that are commonly present by experts to increase performance. I am trying to get my brain in a state that will allow me to more easily break old motor patterns and replace them with newer ones. I have had corespondences with Dan Siever and he suggested a couple items: use AVE to induce Alpha waves and then practice the new moves. Or using tDCS over the motor strip and visualize the new move followed by actually trying to hit balls within a half hour after the session.

I think the idea is to induce plasticity to make the brain more open to changes.

I am new to all this type of technology but I do know from practical experience that it is very hard to change ingrained motor patterns (it takes pros sometimes a year to change and they can hit hundreds of balls a day) and I am looking for a shortcut as I'm an old guy:)

Thanks,

Jim
  • The most important find (and the one most relevant to a bulletproof lifestyle seeker) is that I have found (and so have many scientists) that tDCS is most effective at assisting in new skill acquisition. It shortens learning time and drastically decreases errors caused by inexperience.

Anthony, I just took delivery of a tDCS device that I bought from trans-cranial.com and I am now researching different montages. Specifically I'm interested in shortening learning time for ideas and concepts.

I'm an entrepreneur and I'm constantly learning from other smart business people, watching videos, listening to audios, reading books, etc. It's often hard to stay focused and I feel I'm not learning or making mental connections as effectively as I can.  Do you have any recommendations for specific montages that would help with new skill acquisition or shortening learning times?

Thanks

Gary