Women: Why We Need To Listen To Our Body And Tweak Our Supps/diet

karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"
Below is some info I was unaware of until now...that most drugs are often never tested on women. "Human" clinical trials, no matter how 'extensive', often means tested on men only. The biological differences may be the reason we need to adjust our supplement and nootropics regime for our own best response. For example, has any woman here had a differerent response to diet/exercise/supps during different phases of your menstrual cycle? I definitely have.

Highlights (full article link below):

"Many pills most commonly used daily by women - such as painkillers and heart drugs - were never tested on females, pregnant or otherwise, before being put on the market. Instead, they were tested for safety on men - because males don't have fluctuating monthly hormonal cycles that may alter the drug's actions, making them simpler test subjects. It avoids complicating trial results, which could affect getting that drug onto the market quickly."

'Women also tend to have a higher proportion of body fat than men - and many drugs bond to fat molecules.' This means that a woman's body may absorb a higher amount of a drug than a man, even when given the same dose.

Women's kidneys work more slowly than men's, so chemicals stay in their systems longer. This may lead to excessive drug levels and increased risk of reactions

Women are more variable as research subjects. They have hormonal cycles and child-bearing, and their responses to drugs may change again after the menopause,' says Dr Holdcroft.

http://www.news.com.au/tablet/why-your-medicine-is-making-you-ill/story-fnelnuip-1226511833819

Comments

• For example, has any woman here had a differerent response to diet/exercise/supps during different phases of your menstrual cycle? I definitely have.

Have you ever researched female phase training? The basis is that estrogen and progesterone cause insulin sensitivity or resistance, so you should alter exercise to be anabolic or catabolic respectively. There's a presentation on it here but I think it's only available for the next few hours.

• karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"
    Thanks! I didn't get tot the link in time, but I'll def check out phase training.
  • Below is some info I was unaware of until now...that most drugs are often never tested on women. "Human" clinical trials, no matter how 'extensive', often means tested on men only. The biological differences may be the reason we need to adjust our supplement and nootropics regime for our own best response. For example, has any woman here had a differerent response to diet/exercise/supps during different phases of your menstrual cycle? I definitely have.

Highlights (full article link below):

"Many pills most commonly used daily by women - such as painkillers and heart drugs - were never tested on females, pregnant or otherwise, before being put on the market. Instead, they were tested for safety on men - because males don't have fluctuating monthly hormonal cycles that may alter the drug's actions, making them simpler test subjects. It avoids complicating trial results, which could affect getting that drug onto the market quickly."

Wow Karen, I didn't know that! :( Quite scary when you think about it. Thank you for sharing the article.

• Great posts! I left the forum for a bit because it was so male-dominated and I'm happy to come back to find this! Thanks for sharing.

• I started comparing my results to the same date of the previous month vs. the previous week because of my menstrual cycle. 

ie: comparing my weight and body fat% of July 4th for example with June 4th.

That way the comparison was being made toward the same phase I was on vs the previous week.  This is because of the fact that our bodies are literally different every week :)