How Much Is Enough?

About two months ago, I started CrossFit as a means to push myself and be around others versus working out in my garage. The experience so far has been great. Although I'm 45, I crushed my intro group's times, held good form, etc. Most of all, I felt that testosterone within me asking for more.

Now that I am in the regular class with more tenured members, the skills and movements are giving me the challenge I had hoped for. I'm being pushed physically and mentally - as I knew I would.

So, here's my philosophical question for any and all: When you are at your point and it's time to dig deep, how do you find the strength to dig in? Case in point for me: in a fairly decent sized class, I was in 5th place close to the end. After doing various lifts, etc. - the final piece of our WOD was a 400m run. I could feel my body asking me to stop and walk around 200m, but I had to push it. And I did. I ended up 4th. I could feel my core begging for mercy and I seriously don't think I could have given it any harder. Or could I? I should add, that at 45, I was clearly the oldest one there and damn proud I can kick ass with anyone in my age range (for now).

I believe within each of us we can always push more (safely) - but at what point do you say I am satisfied with how I did versus say I had more in the tank? And for those who PUSH, what mantras or processes do you employ to crush it?

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

That's a tough question to answer with lots of variables.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• edited May 2013

I always find it a matter of cost vs. benefit. I used to push myself too far, too often, and let my body pay the price. This was a good 8-9 years ago when I didn't know any better. Now, I usually weigh what benefits I may get from that extra couple sets or some added intensity vs. the physical, mental, or emotional toll it will take on my body and how that will effect my for the 2-3 days afterwards.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

At 45 I'd stop just before you drop ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

If we're not talking about important competition and just training or events that don't require us to give everything. I find it a hard balancing act of under and over training. If you're not overtraining your under training and if you're under training your not going hard enough. Hard balance to find especially with all the research on how important recovery is and how doing less is more. 4-hour body was interesting on this sort of thing.

Or are we talking about how we mentally push ourselves past our limits to perform and compete?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• jpickett1968jpickett1968 Loving Life

If we're not talking about important competition and just training or events that don't require us to give everything. I find it a hard balancing act of under and over training. If you're not overtraining your under training and if you're under training your not going hard enough. Hard balance to find especially with all the research on how important recovery is and how doing less is more. 4-hour body was interesting on this sort of thing.

Or are we talking about how we mentally push ourselves past our limits to perform and compete?

I'm open to comments, but yes, I'm wondering on mentally pushing one's self especially.