Bulletproof Alcohol

With full realization that alcohol is not really Bulletproof, I write this topic for those times when you simply have to party down. So I'm curious what others do when drinking booze while attempting to stay BP as much as possible.

This is my untested recipe, but something I normally enjoy:

Bulletproof Vodka Lemonade

Vodka

Lemon Juice

Xylitol

Ice

What are your recipes?

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭ ✭✭✭

I'm teetotal :-(

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• The closest thing to "bulletproof" alcohol would be a triple distilled vodka. It could made safer by taking supplements before and after, such as NAC, Milk Thistle extract, etc., as well as some water soluble vitamins and minerals, that might be in excess due to alcohol's diuretic effect.  

Bourbon, Scotch and Beer sometimes make me feel like I'm bulletproof....

• pmrtnzpmrtnz Peter Martinez

Dave actually mentions in his infographic on alcohol that alcohol is not converted into sugar as many people believe, so it can be Bulletproof if you manage the aldehyde with supplementation (Vitamin C, NAC, Glutathione, activated charcoal, ALA, etc.).

Obviously in moderation, which is the hardest part for me. =X 

• I switch back and forth between the two when I do drink (which is not very often):

Quality triple distilled Vodka + olives + ice

Quality triple distilled Vodka + lemons + ice

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

I switch back and forth between the two when I do drink (which is not very often):

Quality triple distilled Vodka + olives + ice

Quality triple distilled Vodka + lemons + ice

Dry martini's should be fine too. Use the best gin you can get a hold of. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• Personally, I disagree with the bulletproof guide to alcohol. It doesn't wok for me simply because with spirits it is far easier to consume a greater number of units of alcohol.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Hmmm, it's about how clean the alcoholic drinks are. You can mix a spirit to be the same strength as a beer, but make it far cleaner for you to drink. Disagreeing with the guide because whiskey gets you pissed quicker than beer doesn't make much sense :-p
  • Don't complete non-drinkers have the lowest life expectancy? I party to ensure longevity

• I am a craft beer fanatic & it's something I enjoy so much, the relaxing effect, taste etc that I can't see myself giving it up.

I drink pretty heavy (6-12 beers) probably 2 nights a week.

I know I'm probably undoing all my good work during the week and most probably have leaky gut? As I heard more than a few drinks a week can lead to leaky gut.

I'm considering doing a month with no alcohol to get my gut health up a bit.

Would this be worthwhile if I'm going to just start drinking again afterwards?
  • I am a craft beer fanatic & it's something I enjoy so much, the relaxing effect, taste etc that I can't see myself giving it up.

I drink pretty heavy (6-12 beers) probably 2 nights a week.

I know I'm probably undoing all my good work during the week and most probably have leaky gut? As I heard more than a few drinks a week can lead to leaky gut.

I'm considering doing a month with no alcohol to get my gut health up a bit.

Would this be worthwhile if I'm going to just start drinking again afterwards?

Well, the fact that you are aware of the potential damage is a step in the right direction. Taking a break for a month and getting gut health back up would be a good idea. Maybe some Glutamine supplemantation and introducing some other natural anti-inflammatory things into your diet would help out with that.

Also, if it is something you truly enjoy just for the relaxation factor and taste, but don't want it to be detrimental to your health, you could always consider a bit of moderation on those 1-2 days and consume 2-4 instead of 6-12. There is no need to strive for perfection and cut them out completely if it is something you enjoy, but a little moderation goes a long way.

• Bulldog-

I'm also a craft beer fanatic and until recently drank about as much as you if not more.  I started BP in February, which coincided with a month off alcohol (the shortest month, naturally, just to make sure I could do it).  I've never felt better but can't escape my love of beer and beer culture, although moving away from Portland has helped a bit.  Since then it has been a natural progression of fewer and fewer beers each weekend.  Midweek tastes were pretty easy for me to dispense with.  Not sure I'll ever totally give it up either (I'm a homebrewer afterall), but feeling bulletproof is good motivation to keep it reasonalbe (if not minimal), and I simply don't crave it as much as I use to.  Sadly (or not) I don't enjoy the taste of effect quite as much either.  I think it is a case where my physiology is leading my mindset.  I'm down to just a few most weekends, and feel noticeably better if I can avoid alcohol for more than a week.  I'd be curious to see how this progresses for you and other beer advocates out there.  Anyone ever had a good gluten-free brew?

• Bulldog-

I'm also a craft beer fanatic and until recently drank about as much as you if not more.  I started BP in February, which coincided with a month off alcohol (the shortest month, naturally, just to make sure I could do it).  I've never felt better but can't escape my love of beer and beer culture, although moving away from Portland has helped a bit.  Since then it has been a natural progression of fewer and fewer beers each weekend.  Midweek tastes were pretty easy for me to dispense with.  Not sure I'll ever totally give it up either (I'm a homebrewer afterall), but feeling bulletproof is good motivation to keep it reasonalbe (if not minimal), and I simply don't crave it as much as I use to.  Sadly (or not) I don't enjoy the taste of effect quite as much either.  I think it is a case where my physiology is leading my mindset.  I'm down to just a few most weekends, and feel noticeably better if I can avoid alcohol for more than a week.  I'd be curious to see how this progresses for you and other beer advocates out there.  Anyone ever had a good gluten-free brew?

I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago and tried a RedBridge, which was gluten free and wheat free. It was actually pretty good.

• There is a gluten free brand here in OZ called O'Brien - they do a few styles - haven't had it yet, but isn't the yeast/mycotoxins the main problem for beer?

There's not that much gluten is there?

Surely hops have got to be really really good for you... That's what I like to tell myself :)

I decided not to start my alc free month yet after going out to the footy - should have though because I can't stand commercial beer anymore.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Have you tried Dave's booze protocol? I remembered it wrong when I was dashing out the door to the pub. I grabbed a handful of activated charcoal caps and a handful of 1000mg vitamin C tabs. I was popping one of each with the first sip of each beer (was drinking Corona).

I later re-read the infographic and realised I didn't do it properly BUT I certainly had hugely positive effects from it. It was like I ONLY had the alcohol effects, none of the drowsiness or fogginess that comes with beer. I guess its what pure ethanol must feel like. I felt supercharged as well, which I guess was the Vit C megadosing, haha. And, zero hangover effects!