Bulletproof Alcohol

Comments

• My drink of choice is straight whiskey, I just have to make sure the axe is locked up just incase somebody gets on the wrong side of me!! :eek:

You can run but I can chuck my axe pretty far! :twisted:

• DespDesp

Bulldog-

I'm also a craft beer fanatic and until recently drank about as much as you if not more.  I started BP in February, which coincided with a month off alcohol (the shortest month, naturally, just to make sure I could do it).  I've never felt better but can't escape my love of beer and beer culture, although moving away from Portland has helped a bit.  Since then it has been a natural progression of fewer and fewer beers each weekend.  Midweek tastes were pretty easy for me to dispense with.  Not sure I'll ever totally give it up either (I'm a homebrewer afterall), but feeling bulletproof is good motivation to keep it reasonalbe (if not minimal), and I simply don't crave it as much as I use to.  Sadly (or not) I don't enjoy the taste of effect quite as much either.  I think it is a case where my physiology is leading my mindset.  I'm down to just a few most weekends, and feel noticeably better if I can avoid alcohol for more than a week.  I'd be curious to see how this progresses for you and other beer advocates out there.  Anyone ever had a good gluten-free brew?

I'm also a home brewer, I haven't gone all grain yet, just partial mash, but once I go all grain I was considering trying to get all organic grains a brew some organic batches, I'm sure these conventional grains has tons of pesticides on them.

I'll drink maybe 2 or 3 beers over the weekend, and rarely more unless I'm at a party and drinking all day. Sometimes I'll go 2 or 3 weeks without drinking anything though.

• InfinusssInfinusss Relax

On the infographic, it says:

Good: Vitamin B1 and Alpha Lipoic Acid before and after

Better: Lipoceutical Glutathione from bulletproof.com

Does that mean we should either do "good" protocol or "better" protocol, or that we should we take B1, ALA AND Gluthatione?

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• lime rickies (i think this is the correct name)! gin, mineral water and a squeeze of lime.
  • AndreasAndreas ✭✭ ✭✭

Doesn't vodka come from nightshades?  Not certain what, of the downside of potatoes, would survive.

That said, I remain partial to Balvenie Single Malt (http://us.thebalvenie.com).  A wee dram bestows benefits on one's soul unmeasurable by the machines of mere mortals.

• hzahza ✭✭ ✭✭

I love beer, probably always will, but I find that if I take off a few days then I get murdered with hangovers the next time I drink, so it's somewhat of an all-or-nothing thing with me, and right now I'm on the "nothing" end of the spectrum.  

That said, I don't know how bulletproof it is, but my favorite non-beer drink is saké.  Most of the brands out there are at least decent, and the better ones seem to be quite "clean" considering the after-effects.  

Also, it has to be just about the "happiest" alcoholic beverage out there.  You don't hear stories about crazy angry saké drunks, or not outside of Japan you don't.  Or I don't, anyway.

• I'm also a home brewer, I haven't gone all grain yet, just partial mash, but once I go all grain I was considering trying to get all organic grains a brew some organic batches, I'm sure these conventional grains has tons of pesticides on them.

I'll drink maybe 2 or 3 beers over the weekend, and rarely more unless I'm at a party and drinking all day. Sometimes I'll go 2 or 3 weeks without drinking anything though.

http://www.howtobrew.com/ is a wealth of information.  I've been homebrewing longer than I've been eating BP, and its unlikely I'll give either up.  I think if you clarify your brew, go all grain (it's really not any more diffuclt), wash your grains, and don't use wheat; it's going to be much better (less bad) for you than anything you will buy in a store.  Just  pay very close attention to sanitation and temperature rests.  I usually add some sulfates before bottling to add clarity and stop fermentation.  That's a wine trick.  I bet the trifecta of any of the Metabisulfates combined with irish moss and bentonite clay would knock out just about everything from the brew - including delicate flavors.  I also always rack twice, dry hop, and I force carbonate in corny kegs.  The idea being to use the yeast to do their duty and then kill em off and kick em out.

Generally I dont brew/drink beer in the summer due to histamine, but I do enjoy the combo of vodka and mineral water with ice and citrus, berries, or olives.

• Sadly, I am a red wine drinker, though when I drink (maybe once per week), I only have a couple of glasses of wine at best (or worst).  I did try the bulletproof alcohol protocol last weekend,  Sort of -- I missed the b-1 or ALA part, but took vit c and NAC before my wine, and ended the evening with activated charcoal.  I think it worked -- well, I hiked 9 miles with pretty good elevation gain the next day with my 17 year old niece, and more than kept up with her.   I will probably switch to brut champagne and dry whites when I do drink.  I am just not a spirits drinker, unless mixed with a lot of sweet mixer that I am not willing to consume.  No girlie umbrella drinks for me.

For you all who are interested in potato vodka, especially those of you who live on the west coast of the US, I know a local guy in my area who has a small craft distillery that makes potato vodka.  He makes it from Yukon Gold potatoes grown in the Skagit Valley (northwestern Washington State).  His name is Ryan Hembree -- I used to work with him -- and this is his website:  http://skiprockdistillers.com/products/skip-rock-vodka/.

Mary

• Sadly, I am a red wine drinker

I don't see why this is sad.  Red wine is one of the greatest things human beings have consumed in our history.  I know its on the red side of the chart, but it isn't clear to me why that is.  Yes there is sugar and if we're trying to stay in ketosis then we should probably avoid it, but the social benefits of drinking red wine occasionally far outweigh the occasional sugar load for me.  I'm probably missing something on the mycotoxin side about red wine, but I'd like to see a study (especially one that focuses on France) and not just take Dave's word for it.  I personally feel fine the day after drinking half a bottle of a red wine ( without following any of the protocol.

A quick google search doesn't show much - had to scour a little to find studies that suggest that a lot of the Ochratoxins in red wine are coming from South America (Argentina/Chile).  

• pizzabagelpizzabagel
    edited July 2013

Question for BP experts - is it mycotoxins you're worried about or the eventual ochratoxicity that results from the mycotoxins? 

• I don't see why this is sad.  Red wine is one of the greatest things human beings have consumed in our history.  I know its on the red side of the chart, but it isn't clear to me why that is.  Yes there is sugar and if we're trying to stay in ketosis then we should probably avoid it, but the social benefits of drinking red wine occasionally far outweigh the occasional sugar load for me.  I'm probably missing something on the mycotoxin side about red wine, but I'd like to see a study (especially one that focuses on France) and not just take Dave's word for it.  I personally feel fine the day after drinking half a bottle of a red wine ( without following any of the protocol.

A quick google search doesn't show much - had to scour a little to find studies that suggest that a lot of the Ochratoxins in red wine are coming from South America (Argentina/Chile).  

Brianpaul, I think we are on the same page.  I used the word "sadly" because red wine is on the red side of the bulletproof chart.  I think the reason that reds were labeled "ugly" (or halfway between "bad" and "ugly") is because they usually contain sulfites.  Don't quote me on that.  I may put our question about "why not red wine?" on the "questions for Dave" section of the forum.

I will still drink reds occasionally.  I totally agree with you on the social benefits -- we are meeting up with some friends this weekend for some wine-tasting in the tri-cities area of Washington state.  I often volunteer to be the designated driver so I just savor a small amount anyway and sip off my husband's "tasting".  I get some emotional benefit from wine tasting that I can't put my finger on exactly.  Maybe it is the social aspect.

Funny you mention Argentinian/Chllean wines.  You can get some of the best cheap reds from Trader Joe's and these are largely Chilean/Argentinian imports.  But dang are they good for $5 or $6!

Mary

• After doing some research over the last couple of days, I've accepted red wine (even my French ones) as something I need to either avoid or have damage control for.  My wife insisted on opening a bottle tonight - and since I spent a considerable amount of time and effort (not to mention $$) procuring it, I felt compelled to have some.  I drank 500mg of Vitamin C and 1 tsp of Liposomal Glutathione beforehand while I let my wine breathe in he glass.  After taking the Glutathione, I felt so good that I almost didn't want to ruin it by drinking.  I eventually had the glass and while I enjoyed the wine, I regretted how I felt (I always got drunk quick - an symptom of what I now understand to be low tolerance to toxicity).  I took 2g of Activated Charcoal and was sober within 15 minutes.

I guess this was the first time I realized how powerful thoughtful supplementation could be - I think I'm going to avoid alcohol for a while unless I'm in very specific circumstances with friends and always have the goods on hand to mitigate the damage.

• Does anyone get a headache from NAC?  I almost never get headaches.  I even had some GI symptoms today (no wine, no supplements for alcohol detoxing).  I am quite sure it wasn't the C or the activated charcoal.  The amount of wine I drank this weekend was really quite minimal, and certainly not enough to give me a headache.  I guess it could have been the alpha lipoic acid, although I'm pretty sure it was the NAC, based on a previous experience where I didn't take ALA.  I thought, wow, the antidote is worse than the poison!  Am I detoxing something else?  Anyone have any thoughts?

Mary

• i have woken up with headaches after using NAC.....I recently purchased alcohol detox by nutri-Dyn,I will let You know how it works

• Interesting, thanks.  I just looked up Nuti-Dyn's "Alcohol Detox" supplement.  Two capsules have 100 mg of NAC.  So I took way too much NAC!  Then I stumbled upon this (http://www.bulletproofexec.com/alcohol-without-the-hangover-bulletproof-partying-business-networking/), which I know I've read before, but probably skipped the comments section.  In reading comments by Steven Fowkes, I learned that I most likely experienced "MSG Syndrome".  My NAC capsules have 600 mg per capsule.  I'm probably going to buy the Alcohol Detox supplement for whenever I do wine tasting and take half the dose -- 1 capsule.  I often share "tastes" with my husband and never manage to get that much wine down me, maybe the equivalent of two or three glasses while visiting 5 or 6 wineries.  

Mary