Pcos: Bulletproofing Help?

Hello ladies (and gentlemen)!

I wanted to post a question I've already put to the excellent "Ron Swanson" about those of us suffering with PCOS. 

Essentially, I was diagnosed at 17 for PCOS and have been put on a few different medications to deal with it. I was put on birth control for a few years, which I stopped, as well as Metformin a few months ago, which I'm still on. Diet changes have helped my blood serum triglycerides and cholesterol even out, but despite that I still struggle with the syndrome. Most concerning me now is that over the last 8 months or so I've completely stopped having periods.

Has anyone had any success with dealing with PCOS with the Bulletproof Diet or anything else natural?

Comments

• Check out Shijin13, I think that is her name, at Jack Kruse site. She has done A LOT!!! with PCOS and had great success. Lots of tips and tricks over there. She has a blog I think. She is particularly smart, and made huge huge strides. There is also an ebook out there, by a Paleo writer, link below. I think it is good info. I read some excerpts.

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/paleo-and-pcos/

• OceanRayOceanRay
    edited May 2013

Stephanie Ruper does a lot on PCOS from a paleo perspective.

I heard she is good. 

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/

For the next 24 hrs her talk at Croxton's summit is online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YiJMPJZ-gWQ 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭
    Get the Better Baby Book. Dave's wife had this so that book would be perfect.
  • Better baby book is EXCELLENT, but doesn't give tons of fine detail on how to treat PCOS.

"Better baby book is EXCELLENT, but doesn't give tons of fine detail on how to treat PCOS." PCOS was Dave's wife's primary issue that they solved, and then wrote the book to help others. I'd say the entire book is how to treat PCOS.
  • "Better baby book is EXCELLENT, but doesn't give tons of fine detail on how to treat PCOS." PCOS was Dave's wife's primary issue that they solved, and then wrote the book to help others. I'd say the entire book is how to treat PCOS.

Yes, I am aware of the above, and loved the book. But there is a lot out there on PCOS, with detailed optimal hormone levels, how to lower high T and raise other hormones, and more explicit details on lab testing, targeted supplementing  etc. The hormonal interplay is very complex, and goes way outside just the basics for some people. The Baby book covers this on a more general level, and has amazing info, but there are places out there with more and more detail. I have read through the book twice and have detailed notes for the whole things. I am someone who likes to learn what the proper ratios between hormones should be, what is the optimal range for estrogens and other sex hormones and how much of what to use supplementing  etc. I like very fine detail. For that level of detail one must look a little deeper.

But, if you are not already doing full on Bulletproof or specialized paleo, get that accomplished first before going deeper.

am not trying to say the book isn't an excellent tool, just that some want a little more fine detail. The book includes some stuff on hormones, but it is guide for optimizing fertility and healthy pregnancy and babies. My hobby for the last 5 years has been reading about fertility, nutrition and hormones. There are amazing sites out there, with amazingly knowledgeable people. If you are looking for extensive detail you will have to delve into some other stuff. This is purely my opinion.

• mentioned earthing before, but I've just got some blood test results back and my fasting glucose and triglyceride levels are the lowest they've been in years. earthing is meant to help lower fasting glucose -- it certainly seems to have worked for me -- while low triglyceride levels point to lower insulin levels and is probably attributable to a low carb diet. 

Yes, I am aware of the above, and loved the book. But there is a lot out there on PCOS, with detailed optimal hormone levels, how to lower high T and raise other hormones, and more explicit details on lab testing, targeted supplementing  etc. The hormonal interplay is very complex, and goes way outside just the basics for some people. The Baby book covers this on a more general level, and has amazing info, but there are places out there with more and more detail. I have read through the book twice and have detailed notes for the whole things. I am someone who likes to learn what the proper ratios between hormones should be, what is the optimal range for estrogens and other sex hormones and how much of what to use supplementing  etc. I like very fine detail. For that level of detail one must look a little deeper.

But, if you are not already doing full on Bulletproof or specialized paleo, get that accomplished first before going deeper.

am not trying to say the book isn't an excellent tool, just that some want a little more fine detail. The book includes some stuff on hormones, but it is guide for optimizing fertility and healthy pregnancy and babies. My hobby for the last 5 years has been reading about fertility, nutrition and hormones. There are amazing sites out there, with amazingly knowledgeable people. If you are looking for extensive detail you will have to delve into some other stuff. This is purely my opinion.

=====

I thought you may have dismissed the book since it wasn't PCOS specific. But you read it, twice! I just finished it myself, I wish it was around years ago!

Great to see you're delving into the world of detailed research. It's always good to verify things for yourself.

• Thanks for these notes guys, I've looked into a couple books and have also decided to suck it up and shell out the cash to finally get some comprehensive testing done. 

I had thought this one looked pretty full-on: http://www.gdx.net/uk/product/23

It tests:

• Cortisol
    • DHEA
    • Estradiol
    • Melatonin
    • Progesterone
    • Testosterone

I was wondering if that is all I need, or if other things need to be tested as well.

Thank you guys again! This support has really made a huge difference.

• Hi Maria,   that's a good test to start with - I started with the same as it gives you a picture of what your hormones are doing through your cycle. (melatonin has an inverse relationship to vitamin d so if it turns out to be high you need to increase the level of vitamin d supplementation).   You also need to check your other androgens as well - you might have also have high levels of a more potent androgen called DHT and of Androstanediol.  My testosterone was lowish but the other two androgens were very high so my GP only testing for testosterone gave a very misleading picture.  Too much testosterone was being shunted into other androgens rather than Estrogen.  

There are a couple of options for getting these tested:  Diagnostech offer a new test called the FlexiMatrix Saliva test which allows you to check LH, FSH, E1, E2 and E3, progesterone, Testosterone, DHT and Androsanediol.  This will give you a much better picture of your steroidogenic pathway.  I got this test from Forrest Health (they should ship to the UK) - US$232  (about £150).  http://www.forresthealth.com/FlexiMatrix-Saliva-Test.html

The more expensive option is the complete urinary hormone test (also from Genova).  The cheapest I've found it is $663 (£440) https://www.directlabs.com/TestDetail.aspx?testid=1371  -  

This chart is helpful in explaining the hormone cascade and the enzymatic pathways.

Good luck 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I have a question, I've been reading about PCOS for a long time. One thing I can't understand: testosterone generally contributes to fat burning. Females with PCOS have high levels of testosterone. Yet tend to gain / keep fat. Why doesn't that excess T help to shed fat?

Been wondering about this for years, I'm sure someone here can answer it.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I suspect it has something to do with the insulin resistance that tends to go along with the PCOS rather than the testosterone levels. 

• I believe you are correct, Hackergirl.  I've also read from multiple sources that insulin resistance accompanies PCOS.  Anecdotally, people I've known with PCOS almost always seem to store fat in their abdominal areas.

Mary