Help With Need Gain Weight And Strength, No Gym, Staying Tonned

I firstly want to say that I am inspired by your work. So big thumbs up to you, keep up the great work you do.

Ok to cut a long story short, I am currently 23 years old and I have always had an interest in nutrition but unfortunately I took what I thought was so called healthy eating to far and became severely underweight and as a result as you can image I suffered with not only physical depletion but also mental. I ended up being diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa in December 2005 (6th to be precise), at the age of 17. (Just a note that I have always been a very healthy child, very active as I loved sports and I had a very healthy appetite).

I was sent to an eating disorder clinic, however I am not what many would call a ‘classic’ anorexic, as I did not demonstrate many traits. It was mainly the physical ones (eventually through the years psychologist said the same, but I had picked up more classic behaviours along the road unfortunately), e.g.- I didn’t weigh food, or myself, push food around my plate. I didn’t eat in secret, never scared of food – in fact always loved it…

What I really was struggling with was OCD and control. I managed to gain and loose weight a few times over the years as I had always been aware of how underweight I was and I always wanted to be healthy again.

So something that started out as a genuine passion for ultimate healthy living converted into a severe illness that I am still working on, but I believe having finally diagnosed myself (with medical help), I am approaching a FULL recovery from the angle of OCD being my main issue with the ultimate goal of living a full ultimately happy and healthy life. This has recently been accelerated with my finding of the primal/paleo living. I feel I have had a huge shift in my mind set. I love fact and who can argue with facts, right? So I have reaped so many benefits already, however weight gain is not happening and if it is it is pretty slow, although the huge increase in fat and no more cereal in diet is amazing alone I want to be at a healthy weight whilst I want to gain lean mass (I am 5’10 currently 8st 3lb ish), as I no how amazing that would be. I hate the look and feelings of being underweight, but with the need past need for ‘certainly’ along with the OCD it had paralysed me for far to long now.

Over the years I have tried many things and I have found I finally know my passion and purpose in life. To use this experience in order to help others (intervention prevention as well as treatment), by combing my two passions – mental wellness/health and nutrition and I would love love love to be a professional, motivational speaker. I have many inspirations in this area also such as Tony Robbins, Oprah etc….

So some of my issues many may relate to in the sense of trying to fix the problem the ‘right way’, and how it is really the same for some loosing weight just opposite way around and the fears that can build from that not having certainty.

So I was wondering whether you and any of your guests would have any advise for me in order to gain weight – muscle mass mainly, whilst keeping toned on a paleo/low carb/ primal lifestyle. I know you had one lady on who did have a background of eating disorders but not a lot of detail was actually in the pod cast. I really just want to live a fulfilling happy, ultimate healthy life for myself and be able to help others in the future.

I feel I look for information both nutritional and on exercises where I get into so many crossing worlds, which has not been to helpful for me in one way as for example I really want to stay toned and yet not be squarney but I want to do it in a primal like way and scared I have to keep doing so many exercises going to keep say my six pack. What is the realistic amount I could do while gaining to keep muscle tone so I can gain strength (using resistance bands as I hate gyms), but fulfil my dream of living a fun filled active sporty life with play like beach volley ball, surfing when I am better as well as being functionally healthy, in stead of feeling like I have to do all the different things in order to not lose it. I am so pleased to have found the truth about nutrition and now I am ready to not try being perfect. I guess I am paralysing myself in many ways of moving forward.

Hope that makes at least a little bit of sense???

I believe everything happens for a reason and I WILL beat it once and for all now and as a result be able to really understand and help others in their pursuit of true pure happiness.

Thank you so much for your time I am truly grateful. Any information needed I am more than happy to share with you.

Take care all the best,

Tara

My name is Tara Ashbaugh and I firstly want to say that I am inspired by your work. So big thumbs up to you, keep up the great work you do.

Ok to cut a long story short, I am currently 23 years old and I have always had an interest in nutrition but unfortunately I took what I thought was so called healthy eating to far and became severely underweight and as a result as you can image I suffered with not only physical depletion but also mental. I ended up being diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa in December 2005 (6th to be precise), at the age of 17. (Just a note that I have always been a very healthy child, very active as I loved sports and I had a very healthy appetite).

I was sent to an eating disorder clinic, however I am not what many would call a ‘classic’ anorexic, as I did not demonstrate many traits. It was mainly the physical ones (eventually through the years psychologist said the same, but I had picked up more classic behaviours along the road unfortunately), e.g.- I didn’t weigh food, or myself, push food around my plate. I didn’t eat in secret, never scared of food – in fact always loved it…

What I really was struggling with was OCD and control. I managed to gain and loose weight a few times over the years as I had always been aware of how underweight I was and I always wanted to be healthy again.

So something that started out as a genuine passion for ultimate healthy living converted into a severe illness that I am still working on, but I believe having finally diagnosed myself (with medical help), I am approaching a FULL recovery from the angle of OCD being my main issue with the ultimate goal of living a full ultimately happy and healthy life. This has recently been accelerated with my finding of the primal/paleo living. I feel I have had a huge shift in my mind set. I love fact and who can argue with facts, right? So I have reaped so many benefits already, however weight gain is not happening and if it is it is pretty slow, although the huge increase in fat and no more cereal in diet is amazing alone I want to be at a healthy weight whilst I want to gain lean mass (I am 5’10 currently 8st 3lb ish), as I no how amazing that would be. I hate the look and feelings of being underweight, but with the need past need for ‘certainly’ along with the OCD it had paralysed me for far to long now.

Over the years I have tried many things and I have found I finally know my passion and purpose in life. To use this experience in order to help others (intervention prevention as well as treatment), by combing my two passions – mental wellness/health and nutrition and I would love love love to be a professional, motivational speaker. I have many inspirations in this area also such as Tony Robbins, Oprah etc….

So some of my issues many may relate to in the sense of trying to fix the problem the ‘right way’, and how it is really the same for some loosing weight just opposite way around and the fears that can build from that not having certainty.

So I was wondering whether you and any of your guests would have any advise for me in order to gain weight – muscle mass mainly, whilst keeping toned on a paleo/low carb/ primal lifestyle. I know you had one lady on who did have a background of eating disorders but not a lot of detail was actually in the pod cast. I really just want to live a fulfilling happy, ultimate healthy life for myself and be able to help others in the future.

I feel I look for information both nutritional and on exercises where I get into so many crossing worlds, which has not been to helpful for me in one way as for example I really want to stay toned and yet not be squarney but I want to do it in a primal like way and scared I have to keep doing so many exercises going to keep say my six pack. What is the realistic amount I could do while gaining to keep muscle tone so I can gain strength (using resistance bands as I hate gyms), but fulfil my dream of living a fun filled active sporty life with play like beach volley ball, surfing when I am better as well as being functionally healthy, in stead of feeling like I have to do all the different things in order to not lose it. I am so pleased to have found the truth about nutrition and now I am ready to not try being perfect. I guess I am paralysing myself in many ways of moving forward.

Hope that makes at least a little bit of sense???

I believe everything happens for a reason and I WILL beat it once and for all now and as a result be able to really understand and help others in their pursuit of true pure happiness.

Thank you so much for your time I am truly grateful. Any information needed I am more than happy to share with you.

Take care all the best,

Tara