Emotional Adjustment To Bp: What To Expect?

I'm wondering what the emotional adjustments are (if any) for newcomers to the BP life? I have been drinking BP coffee every morning for about 3 months. Around the same time I started weening myself off of grains and sugars. In the last week, I have been following the BP diet quite strictly.  It wasn't until this past week that I started noticing and acting out strong feelings of anger (arguing over petty things, taking offense to everything, crying out of frustration, stubbornness, etc.). I am very irritable. I am usually a very calm and patient person, so these feelings are somewhat foreign to me. 

After reading some of the other threads and not finding any related information, I was wondering if I am the only one experiencing this? I tried to rule out some extraneous factors such as lack of exercise (I decreased my running from 20 miles/week to 3), hormonal imbalances due to menstruation (but I'm in the middle of my cycle), and my recent acquisition of too much free time (school's out for the summer). The only thing I can rationalize is that I may have some intestinal issues (parasites?) that are having a hell of a time adjusting to my dietary changes. Since parasites feed off of carbs/sugars/etc., could these emotional issues be caused by this? Also, could this be linked to an adrenal issue (since my anger wells up in the mornings after drinking my morning cup of BPC)? Are there any known effects of MCT's or fats on emotional activity in the brain?

I didn't want to do an intestinal cleanse unless it is necessary... Any insight on what could be the cause of this issue? If I am the only one with this problem then forgive my questioning. If this has happened to you, please reply and reassure me with a logical explanation that I'm not going crazy!! 

Thank you!!

BTW, I am in my late 20's, 5'5'', 125 lbs, moderately active, gluten sensitive, if that matters.

"Timshel!"

Comments

• OceanRayOceanRay
    edited June 2013

Could be many things: toxins built-up in your fat cells being released into your blood stream as your burn fat, lack of carbs, fungal infections ... mineral deficiencies. 

Why do you rule out hormanal imbalances?

Maybe you're not as calm as you thought and have long used food to manage your emotional states? I think thats common.

But you'll have to go through it, keep testing and tinkering and ride it out. Lot's of changes will happen over weeks, months and years.  

• Thank you OceanRay. You may be right about those emotional eating habits. Maybe I was unaware of that before. After all, I do have a stressful job. I don't seem to have any carb/sugar cravings though now that they aren't a part of my diet. It wasn't hard to change my diet although I had some mild sugar cravings at first. Maybe this is a delayed effect? 

I will look into the effects of toxins, lack of carbs, fungal, etc. as you named above. As for mineral deficiencies, that is very possible. I noticed at the same time that my sleep patterns were different, but not in a good way (anxiety, nightmares, early rising, etc.). This co-incided with the anger. I did see how others were supplementing with Magnesium to help regulate sleep and balance calcium intake. I have to look into that too. That could be helpful!

Anyways, thanks for your reply!

"Timshel!"

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

You could very well be detoxing. Any water soluble toxins get excreted. Fat soluble ones stay in your fat stores. When you start losing weight, well, the fat soluble toxins come out. Imagine a rain forest, near a town, getting cut down - all the animals start wandering further into town looking for a new home.

Keep your b vitamins up, along with an anti-oxidant like n-acetyl cysteine couple with vitamin c, to keep your detox pathways firing. From memory, this is the b-complex that Ron recommends, but search for more info on that: http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Basic-B-Complex-60-Veggie-Caps/18791

Also, go through Suntoucher's supplement notes and hit them too.

Further to this, buy this book. It's indispensable for women. She was on one of the Bulletproof podcasts too, so give that a listen first.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1451666942

No sorcery, just science. 

Sorry, I didn't realise that this was in the women's section. I just saw the topic listed as "new" up the top!  :oops:

• Thank you Aaron L. I've been slacking on the B vitamins but I will be more vigilant. I appreciate your time!

"Timshel!"

• my two cents: stable emotions since I started 

Thank you Aaron L. I've been slacking on the B vitamins but I will be more vigilant. I appreciate your time!

No problemo, that's what we're all here for! Let me know if you've got any other questions.

• my two cents: stable emotions since I started 

Actually, you know what..I told a lie. Eating steak and eggs for lunch, coconut fish curry for dinner, a huge mug of butter filled coffee for breakfast and post workout sweet potatos covered in butter whilst maintaining/losing weight...HAHA! I would suggest that i'm actually unstably happy. Considering the last time i lost weight I ate two tiny meals a day with a couple of peices of fruit for lunch and constantly felt hungry..HAHA 

• I still have my blues, but overall I feel much more stable and strong. My mind is more energetic and sharp in general.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I've just recently managed to bump up to 100% bulletproof and I've never felt this awesome! Even the last 6 months of being ~80% bulletproof wasn't this good.

• For what it's worth. Felt really soild on the BPIF. On day four of RFLP and am doing the world a favor by keeping to myself for a few days. Highly, highly irritable... even after meditation. Just accepting as par for the course when doing something kinda extreme.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• I'm wondering what the emotional adjustments are (if any) for newcomers to the BP life? I have been drinking BP coffee every morning for about 3 months. Around the same time I started weening myself off of grains and sugars. In the last week, I have been following the BP diet quite strictly.  It wasn't until this past week that I started noticing and acting out strong feelings of anger (arguing over petty things, taking offense to everything, crying out of frustration, stubbornness, etc.). I am very irritable. I am usually a very calm and patient person, so these feelings are somewhat foreign to me. 

After reading some of the other threads and not finding any related information, I was wondering if I am the only one experiencing this? I tried to rule out some extraneous factors such as lack of exercise (I decreased my running from 20 miles/week to 3), hormonal imbalances due to menstruation (but I'm in the middle of my cycle), and my recent acquisition of too much free time (school's out for the summer). The only thing I can rationalize is that I may have some intestinal issues (parasites?) that are having a hell of a time adjusting to my dietary changes. Since parasites feed off of carbs/sugars/etc., could these emotional issues be caused by this? Also, could this be linked to an adrenal issue (since my anger wells up in the mornings after drinking my morning cup of BPC)? Are there any known effects of MCT's or fats on emotional activity in the brain?

I didn't want to do an intestinal cleanse unless it is necessary... Any insight on what could be the cause of this issue? If I am the only one with this problem then forgive my questioning. If this has happened to you, please reply and reassure me with a logical explanation that I'm not going crazy!! 

Thank you!!

BTW, I am in my late 20's, 5'5'', 125 lbs, moderately active, gluten sensitive, if that matters.

Im using Mercury being in a very nasty retrograde as my excuse. If you would like specific advice on that, http://www.lipstickmystic.com/lipstick-mystic-stars/. Cheap and informative. Cancer is VERY active right now in a lot of signs - expect lots of crabbiness and general irritability from everybody. Beginning of August cant come fast enough! But other than that, toxins stored in fat cells are being mobilized into your blood stream - that can cause all sorts of whacky moods. I notice that I can get particularly angry after BP coffee and my leptin supplements (caffeine containing) - might just be pent up energy that needs to be physicalized before it exhibits itself in emotionally unstable ways. Depends on how you deal with excess energy, which is what you seem to be complaining about. You wont find me too angry after doing an hour of T-Tapp - Im too spent!

As for intestinal parasites, just get some food grade diatomaceous earth. No harsh intestinal cleansing (which is a scam anyway), and they trap all those bad guys along with helping you stay regular. a $20 investment in DE and I still have about 5 out of 10 lbs left after a year. I use SafeDE off of ebay.