Ufc Banter & Predictions

Comments

• I had it 3-2 for Gustafson. But I"m not great at remembering and scoring each round. I prefer to say who won the actual fight be deciding who I'd rather be at the end. I also like to give more credit to the end of each round and the later rounds. As it's a fight and anything you've done before, in theory, hasn't worked, cause you're now getting your arse kicked. This fight threw my scoring out the window a little. 

I'd rather be Gustafson at the end and scored it for him, but Jones won the fight, by winning the end of 4th round and all of the 5th.

Also talk about it being the best MMA fight ever is way off in my opinion! Doubt it'll make my top 10 (which I've never compelled) ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• My fave MMA match in recent memory was WEC 53 Henderson vs. Pettis.  Yes, that's the one with the showtime kick.  And no it's not because of the showtime kick, that was icing on the cake.  I'd rather watch two smaller cardio machines go to war for 5 rounds than 2 heavyweights lean on each other, sucking in so much oxygen that the first three rows of the audience pass out.  The whole show was good too, it's one I have and will keep forever and watch here and there.

• Eddie v Michael on Bellator was the best fight last year (better than the Henderson v Shogun cardioless fight people talk about) and that's better than the jones fight.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

UFC Fight Night 29 Maia vs. Shields

October 9, 2013, Jose Correa Gymnasium, Barueri, São Paulo, Brazil

Main Card (on Fox Sports 1):

-Demian Maia (18-4) vs. Jake Shields (28-6-1, 1 NC)

-Erick Silva (15-3, 1 NC) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (17-2-1, 1 NC)

-Thiago Silva (15-3, 2 NC) vs. Matt Hamill (10-4)

-Fabio Maldonado (19-6) vs. Joey Beltran (14-8, 1 NC)

-Rousimar Palhares (14-5) vs. Mike Pierce (17-5)

-Raphael Assunção (20-4) vs. TJ Dillashaw (8-1)

Preliminary Card (on Fox Sports 1):

-Ildemar Alcantara (19-5) vs. Igor Araujo (23-6)

-Yan Cabral (10-0) vs. David Mitchell (12-3)

-Iliarde Santos (27-8-1, 1 NC)  vs. Chris Cariaso (14-5)

-Alan Patrick (10-0) vs. Garett Whiteley (5-0)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

This was a great show. But Linkin Park Numb is not a winning song, I love it and it's a great song but when I heard it I thought I would never choose it for this purpose.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• You think the song makes a difference? Really!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

If it reflects his state of mind then maybe... I would listen to this in an emotional and not happy state, it talks about being tired of life and stuff. :huh: But I don't want to turn this into the music thread. :D

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

As a fighter, I find the walk out music is more a projection of what you want the audience to feel and it's not really for the fighter. Personally I'm not bothered what's playing when I come out, but you want the crowd to feel something. it's more for show in my opinion.

UFC 166 Velasquez vs. dos Santos 3
    October 19, 2013, Toyota Center, Houston, Texas

Main Bouts (on Pay-Per-View):

-Cain Velasquez (12-1) vs. Junior dos Santos (16-2)†

-Daniel Cormier (12-0) vs. Roy Nelson (19-8)

-Gilbert Melendez (21-3) vs. Diego Sanchez (24-5)

-Gabriel Gonzaga (15-7) vs. Shawn Jordan (15-4)

-John Dodson (15-6) vs. Darrell Montague (13-2)

Preliminary Bouts (on Fox Sports 1): 

-Tim Boetsch (16-6) vs. CB Dolloway (13-4)

-Nate Marquardt (32-12-2) vs. Hector Lombard (32-4-1)

-Sarah Kaufman (15-2) vs. Jessica Eye (10-1)

-George Sotiropoulos (14-5) vs. KJ Noons (11-7)

Preliminary Bouts (on Facebook):

-TJ Waldburger (16-7) vs. Adlan Amagov (12-2-1)

-Tony Ferguson (13-3) vs. Mike Rio (9-2)

-Jeremy Larsen (8-4) vs. Andre Fili (12-1)

-Dustin Pague (11-8) vs. Kyoji Horiguchi (11-1)

I've got everyone on the right side. Seems a little lop sided to me, but it never turns out that way. The Marquardt v Lombard might be interesting. Goind with Marquardt, but wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't get it done. Main cards very lop sided excepted for the main event. Which should be a lot closer, but still think Cain has a slight advantage.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

Exciting card tonight. Looking forward to getting up bright and early tomorrow, making a BPC and watching the fights.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• GREAT fight night tonight!

I think Cain was sub-optimal health in first fight, and Junior was sub-optimal health in rematch.  This time they both look ready.  I think Junior wins with his speed tonight.

I love how Roy and Daniel did their contract for this fight.  Like both guys, but Cormier should take this.

If Gilbert loses to Diego, I'd be flat out shocked.  Never a fan of Sanchez, and doubt he makes this much of a fight other than his style of staying active.

Going in on Jordan to beat Gonzaga.  Heavy hitting to come!

Dodson should win, but I cannot stand the kid, so I'll take Montague.

I'll take Lombard over Nate.

Give me Noons in a boxing clinic over George.  Loser gets cut.

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

To my country next. Not close to me personally, but I'll be watching as usual.

FC Fight Night 30 Machida vs. Munoz
    October 26, 2013
    Phones 4u Arena (formerly Manchester Arena), Manchester, England

Main Bots (Fox Sports 2):

-Lyoto Machida (19-4) vs. Mark Munoz (13-3)

-Ross Pearson (15-6) vs. Melvin Guillard (31-12-2)

-Jimi Manuwa (13-0) vs. Ryan Jimmo (18-2)

-Norman Parke (18-2) vs. Jon Tuck (7-0)

-Alessio Sakara (19-10) vs. Nicholas Musoke (10-2-1)

-Phil Harris (22-10) vs. John Lineker (22-6)

Preliminary Bouts (Online): 

-Al Iaquinta (6-2-1) vs. Piotr Hallmann (14-1)

-Luke Barnatt (6-0) vs. Andrew Craig (9-1)

-Rosi Sexton (13-3) vs. Jessica Andrade (9-3)

-Andy Ogle (9-2) vs. Cole Miller (19-8)

-Brad Scott (8-2) vs. Michael Kuiper (12-2)

-Jimy Hettes (10-1) vs. Robert Whiteford (10-1)

Not a big card, as it's on Free TV in the US and either at an unusual time or record. Some interested battles. Looking forward to seeing Hettes again, Ogle v Miller, Luke Barnatt & Jimi Manuwa (They've fought on the same promotion as me in the UK) and Pearson v Melvin.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I say lyoto fucks up Chris Weidman if Anderson losses and retires. Lyoto to be the middleweight champ soon if that happens. I think Melvin gets the win against Pearson. IDK  much about the rest of the fighter. Also I'm pretty sure Lyoto beats Mark is why I didn't predict that fight.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

What is with the psiloveyoubooks.com T-shirts? :D Funniest sponsor ever.

• Man, I hate watching Lyoto Machida fight, so boring.  it's like he is running away the whole fight.  Whoever he fights I side with.  But at the end of the day the only good Lyoto Machida fight is a short one.

• Man, I hate watching Lyoto Machida fight, so boring.  it's like he is running away the whole fight.  Whoever he fights I side with.  But at the end of the day the only good Lyoto Machida fight is a short one.

Dat kick tho!

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013

I'll be watching this one, but then I watch most Bellator cards :smile:

Bellator 106 Chandler vs. Alvarez II

November 2, 2013 Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California

Main Card (on Spike TV)

-Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez†

-Muhammed Lawal vs. Emanuel Newton††

-Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus†††

-Joe Riggs (39-14) vs. Mike Bronzoulis (15-5)††††

-Mike Richman (15-3) vs. Akop Stepanyan (13-6)

Preliminary Card (on Spike.com):

-Alejandro Garcia (14-5) vs. Cristiano Souza (6-0)

-Mike Guymon (14-6-1) vs. Aaron Miller (14-8)

-Brandon Halsey (4-0) vs. Hector Ramirez (9-5-1)

-Joe Williams (10-3) vs. Jesse Juarez (20-8)

-Darren Smith (4-3) vs. Josh Smith (8-5)

-Joe Camacho (13-18-3) vs. Cleber Luciano (8-5)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013

UFC 167 St-Pierre vs. Hendricks

November 16, 2013, MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada

Main Bouts (on Pay-Per-View)

-Georges St-Pierre (24-2) vs. Johny Hendricks (15-1)

-Rashad Evans (18-3-1) vs. Chael Sonnen (28-13-1)

-Rory MacDonald (15-1) vs. Robbie Lawler (21-9)

-Josh Koscheck (17-7) vs. Tyron Woodley (11-2)

-Tim Elliott (10-3-1) vs. Ali Bagautinov (11-2)

Preliminary Bouts (on Fox Sports 1)

-Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone (20-6) vs. Evan Dunham (14-4)

-Ed Herman (21-9, 1 NC) vs. Thales Leites (21-4)

-Brian Ebersole (50-15-1) vs. Rick Story (15-7)

-Erik Perez (13-5) vs. Edwin Figueroa (9-3)

Preliminary Bouts (on Facebook)

-Jason High (17-4) vs. Anthony Lapsley (21-5, 2 NC)

-Sergio Pettis (9-0) vs. Will Campuzano (13-4)

-Cody Donovan (8-3) vs. Gian Villante (10-4)

Good cards coming thick and fast :wink:

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• See bulletproof sponsored MMA fighter Jason Lambert lost last night on Bellator. Wish the bulletproof diet bulletproof'd your chin!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• joeld123joeld123
    edited November 2013

Watched this PPV for once in it's entirety.  Lots of unexpected things: 

- Never expected to see GSP get beat that badly.  Well, I guess it seemed fairly close but I would still give it to Hendricks as he did get more significant strikes.  Hendricks just didn't seem hurt by the end of the fight and GSP looked like hamburger.

- Expected Sonnen to get beat, Rashad really looked great in this fight.  I wonder if we are going to see him vs Jones soon...

- Holy toledo Woodley looks great, what a beast and he looks huge.

- The other unexpected fight for me, Rory I expected would beat Lawler.  but Lawler looked fantastic and I am glad he won, never did like Rory much.

- I love the style of Tim Eliot, man I want to see more of this guy.  Something about his stance and look reminds me of a wild animal.  So interesting to see a guy like this.

Edit: Blanka from Street fighter 2, that's what Tim Eliot moves and looks like with the hair.  Surely he is going for this look to match his style.

• I missed out on the Elliot fight.  Now I'll have to re-watch it.

I thought Hendricks won 3 rounds easily and I thought he won 4 of the 5.  I sent Rogan and Dana a tweet right after suggesting they hire ex-UFC fighters with outstanding reputations re: honor and integrity, to judge UFC fights.  These idiots that get paid by the "commission" (fighting syndicate/union/mafia) are ruining the integrity of the sport.  Absolute farce to even have been a split decision.  The UFC and MMA should NOT be a Karate "point" style competition where they add up and give credit to every little slap kick or jab or takedown that results in no damage.  

Horrible decision to give GSP that win.  His entire body language radiated defeat.  I cannot stand when the corner of a fighter who just lost goes through the bullshit of putting the losing fighter on their shoulders and do a dog and pony show trying to sway the judges or crowd.  So childish.  

Hendricks paced himself well for the entire 25 minutes, remaining a bit too conservative when he had GSP really damaged and wobbly.  He should have went with his usual killer instinct, but I think above all else...he did not want to gas himself early.  He could have went nuts in the final minute...using up all the gas he had left in his tank for a exclamation point ending...but I feel everyone other than the judges knew Hendricks had it won, and he may have been showing GSP respect to just hold on and wait for the time to expire.

Hendricks was by far the stronger fighter, and GSP could feel it.  Damage given and taken was off-the-charts in Hendricks favor.  Horrible judging.

Re: Evans fighting buddy Chael...that had a bit of a fakeness feel to that fight.  Evans was a piss-poor overmatched opponent for Jon Jones the first time, and nothing has changed IMO.  The only threat to Jon is a rematch with Gustafsson, or is Cormier actually gets down to 205.  Teixeira is a decent challenge as well...but would be a heavy dog.

Lawler was a surprise.  He looked great and manhandled a GREAT young fighter (IMO) in Rory.  Very impressive win.  Dangerous brawler.  Looking forward to more great fight nights to wind down 2013.

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • No point tweeting anyone from the UFC about judging or refreeing, that's all controlled by NSAC. UFC has no control. Although when they do in other countries, they use the same stupid judges and rubbish refs.

Stupid is as stupid does!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• i have watched the gsp fight 5 times now, 4 times with no sound.

I see rounds 2-4 hendrix, 3-5 gsp, all 3 judges scored it like this as well.

Round 1 is the toss up. After 5 viewings i still cant decide. I can easily see why anyone would pick either guy in rd 1.

Fights are scored by rounds. Round 1 has no baring on round 2 and so on. I saw no round being a 10-8 round either.

So even though GSP looked battered, he still won. He did land more significant strikes according to the hard numbers, and had 1 more takedown.

So I really dont see a controversy here.

here is a great article on the fight and the scoring

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1853770-georges-st-pierre-vs-johny-hendricks-breaking-down-the-fightmetric-numbers
  • The problem is the current system doesn't make sense. Why is edging out a round equal in judging as dominating a round?

• I never said it makes sense. It is what it is though. So based on the current rules, Johnny didnt get robbed at all. Honestly the more I watched this fight, the closer and closer it seemed. Plus, in close battles that go to decision, the champ always gets the benefit of the doubt. This is the way its always been in fight sports. You want to be the champ, then go out and beat the champ. Johnny Hendricks failed to do this.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

I have time only now to watch 6 Nov's Fight for the Troops (watched the two latest shows first)... wow, some action packed fights!

• Anyone watching TUF. I've watched every season. The first season I used to buy DVDs of the show someone copied off the TV each week off ebay, as it wasn't available in the UK and downloading wasn't what it is now. 18 seasons in and I still enjoy it, this season is pretty good. The mens fights aren't particularly great, but the women are real good to watch. Top quality, they've run a bit low on quality on the men's side after 17 seasons. I actually tried out for the UK v US season in London and met Dana White, before grappling in front of him and the spike people and being cut afterwards, like most. Anyway TUF finale coming up soon. Should be good. I've grappled with Holdsworth (who fight a british guy in the final) in Vegas a few years ago when he was teaching. Spend a week training with him, so know him a little (although I doubt he remembers me). Here's a pic with Holdsworth, a short haired me and a few others from Cobra Kai in Las Vegas. Think it was around 2010 when he was teaching out there, his in LA now with Urijah Faber and team Alpha Male.

CobraKai_zpsf4b15089.jpg

Looking at the picture, it's surprising that he fights at 135 and I fight at 155! Think he's lost a bit of weight since then ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Would have never thought I end up watching a reality show because I hate them so much. But TUF is awesome.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

finale was a bit boring. Wasn't impressed with the fights. Diaz v Maynard was pretty brutal though!

UFC Fight Night 33 Hunt vs. Silva

December 6, 2013 Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Brisbane, Australia

Main Bouts (Fox Sports 1)

-Mark Hunt (9-8) vs. Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva (18-5)

-Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (21-8) vs. James Te Huna (16-6)

-Ryan Bader (15-4) vs. Anthony Perosh (14-7)

-Pat Barry (8-6) vs. Soa Palelei (19-3)

-Dylan Andrews (16-4, 1 NC) vs. Clint Hester (8-3)

-Julie Kedzie (16-12) vs. Bethe Correia (6-0)

Preliminary Bouts (Fox Sports 2)

-Takeya Mizugaki (18-7-2) vs. Nam Phan (18-11)

-Nick Ring (13-2) vs. Caio Magalhaes (6-1)

-Richie Vaculik (9-1) vs. Justin Scoggins (7-0)

-Bruno Santos (13-0) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (13-0)

Preliminary Bouts (MMAWeekly.com)

-Alex Garcia (10-1) vs. Ben Wall (7-0-1)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Y U NO post fight night 33 cards??? it looks good :-)

• hunt/silva was epic last night, one of the, if not the best fight i have ever seen. Both guys are animals.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file