Ufc Banter & Predictions

Comments

• Withoung having seen it I'm wondering how much of that was arranged. I get the impression that they believe these reality show like conflicts will make the show popular.

Dana White is trying to draw in more sales. More drama = more views.

• Jones does not come out well with these things...  I saw the post scuffle media interview with both guys and have to say that DC comes off alright and Jones comes out fake and overconfident.  Maybe it is manufactured as didn't everyone want to really see Jones Gustafsson 2.  After that confrontation who is talking about that fight now?

• Looks fairly legit to me. Guys don't like having their button pushed by guys they're going to fight in front of a crowd. Most have a bit better control than Bones and D.C.. But I think Jones is letting the inner heel come out as he's probably given up on being truly popular.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• I cant wait to see jones shut DC up.
  • Put me down for Jason Saggo in Oct 4 fight. Heard it here first. His 2nd UFC fight. Good guy.

• Looking forward to tomorrow night's card, UFC Fight Night - Jacare vs. Mousasi 2.
  • Look at this pathetic piece of reporting. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oh-t-even-ufc-heavyweights-143704767.html

Can you imagine Nate Diaz stepping up to Cain Velasquez or Bigfoot?

• A lot of MMA events going on this weekend, but nothing really attention grabbing. Although I am sure there will be some good fights that end up taking place.

• This should be an exciting card.

UFC 178

Main Card (on Pay-Per-View)

Demetrious Johnson (20-2-1) vs. Chris Cariaso (17-5)
    Donald Cerrone (24-6, 1 NC) vs. Eddie Alvarez (25-3)
    Dustin Poirier (16-3) vs. Conor McGregor (15-2)
    Tim Kennedy (18-4) vs. Yoel Romero (8-1)
    Cat Zingano (8-0) vs. Amanda Nunes (9-3)

Preliminary Card (on Fox Sports 1)

Dominick Cruz (19-1) vs. Takeya Mizugaki (20-7-2)
    Jorge Masvidal (27-8) vs. James Krause (21-5)
    Patrick Cote (20-8) vs. Stephen Thompson (9-1)
    John Howard (22-9) vs. Brian Ebersole (50-16-1)

Preliminary Card (on Fight Pass)

Jon Tuck (8-1) vs. Kevin Lee (8-1)
    Manny Gamburyan (13-8) vs. Cody Gibson (12-4)
  • So pissed my friend decided to get married this weekend. I will miss UFC 178, the Bulletproof Conference, and probably the simulcast of the Red Bull Rampage (like freeskiing but crazier, and on mountain bikes, you should watch as a "flow" research project.)

For some reason Kennedy vs. Romero is especially interesting to me. Romero is terrifying but Kennedy seems to find a way to win. 

• Best card this year imo
  • And the "people's main event" of Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor. Will McGregor continue to rise, or will Poirer put a halt to the hype?

• I hope poirier beats the shit out of mc Gregor
  • I have to admit though, as much as I want dustin to win I doubt he will. I think Conners movement is way to good and it will be very hard for dustin to close the distance without getting blasted time and time again. Conner is the real deal I believe, now if only he could be a tad more humble.....
  • Also the mighty mouse fight will be very one sided, no one in that division comes close to his level.

Cerrone fight will be very interesting. I believe Donald is eddies toughest opponent ever but this fight should be a barn burner.
  • Been busy, two cards again tonight! I watching everything, but some of the undercards are a big unexciting. Used to be unusual I didn't not much about fighters, now most of the undercard I've never heard of!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Aldo looked fucking unbelievable last Saturday.  Mini Mendes was on top of his game and still got beat like a drum.  

Aldo vs. Conor is the first legit power headliner lighter weight fight in recent history.  Could be a trilogy.

• Thought this was a pretty cool article worth sharing...

LIFE AS MMA: THE THREE KINDS OF PEOPLE AT A UFC EVENT

By Pedro Olavarria

"Life can be likened to a UFC event. At any given UFC event there are three kinds of people: the fighters who open themselves up to the possibility of glorious victory or ruinous defeat; there are promoters and food vendors who hustle and compete for money, and finally the spectators, who are just taking it all in, not winning and not losing in any meaningful way. In the UFC and in life, the vast majority of people are spectators. In this hypothetical UFC event, as in life, the people who have the most profound experience of the event are also the most at risk of suffering, the fighters.

Epicurus believed right and wrong were defined by pleasure and pain, pleasure is good and pain is bad. Desire is a form of pain therefore desires are bad. Nevertheless, Epicurus saw that there were natural and necessary desires: food, shelter, good health; natural but not necessary desires: rich tasting foods, sweet wine and the embrace of erotic love; and finally, vain and empty desires: power, wealth and fame. For Epicurus, people should minimize their desires, to the necessary and natural, in order to minimize pain and be happy. This is similar to Buddhism were life is permeated with suffering; the cause of suffering is desire and so the minimization of desire through discipline is prescribed. Both Epicurus and Buddha would agree that the fighter is the worst role to play in the UFC. Both in life and in the arena, they would tell us to be the fans in the crowd and not the fighters, sparing us from the pain of loss and defeat.

In, The Tragic Sense of Life (1913), Spanish poet, novelist and philosopher, Miguel de Unamuno saw all human consciousness as the awareness of our inevitable deaths. For Unamuno, to be human is to suffer and any attempt to permanently end suffering is nothing less than an attempt to cease being human. Unamuno starts with the same premise as Buddha, to live is to suffer, but has the exact opposite prescription for dealing with suffering. Unamuno teaches us that suffering is vital, that suffering is to be embraced. The existence of intense suffering requires the existence of intense joy. For Unamuno, all human consciousness is consciousness of mortality and suffering therefore any attempt to reject suffering is to reject consciousness itself. Unamuno and Buddha leave us with two options: avoid suffering and have a placid modicum of happiness; or embrace the intense suffering of life, which is only made possible because of the existence of intense joy. I believe every professional MMA fighter has unwittingly made the second choice.

No one can watch Rose Numajunas celebrate a victory and not see that she is experiencing intense ecstasy. The thrill of victory in MMA must be emotionally intense. Fighters in the UFC, walk past thousands of screaming fans, some praising and others jeering, their favorite music blaring on sound speakers, pumping and reverberating through a gigantic metal dome, only to strip down and get locked in a cage with a trained killer, a killer who wants to beat them unconscious or make them surrender in front of their lover, mother, enemies and friends. As Rose Numajunas showed in her first win on TUF, it’s an experience which can culminate in an explosive release of emotion. The opposite is also true in defeat. We have seen BJ Penn, licking the blood of his gloves, in victory; we have seen BJ Penn weep in defeat. We have seen the post-gladiatorial depression of Roxanne Modafarri and Andy Wang. After all the training and sacrifice, someone has to lose and the intense euphoria some fighters experience is often paralleled with the equally intense sadness of their opponents. Watch behind the scenes footage of any UFC program and you will see some of the bravest and toughest athletes in the world, weeping from a loss.

This is why I believe that, in some sense, MMA fighters are the most human of professional athletes in that they defy the ancients by experiencing the full range of emotion that defines a human being. In victory or defeat, in wealth or in poverty, in sickness or in health, whether they are hated or loved, MMA fighters experience the best and worst of human experience. If we extrapolate this model of a UFC event on to a city or nation, the vast majority of people are spectators and not fighters. Most people sit and watch as others brave uncertainty and live out their dreams. The spectators think they are safe, often living a subservient and circumcised existence, never understanding that no path is truly secure or certain. Why? Because they are ruled by Fear and watching allows them to live vicariously through braver souls; because the warrior path, like true love, leaves us open to the greatest joy and the greatest sorrow, the greatest freedom and the greatest uncertainty. All is fair in love and war because both will end in trauma or ecstasy.

As Robert E. Howard says, in the mouth of Conan the Barbarian, “Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

The new season of TUF is getting so irritating with all that drama and drama and drama... Some of those girls are acting in a way I hoped not to see after elementary school. :(

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• lyleglyleg
    edited November 2014
    Anybody catch the train wreck bellator card the other night? Especially the awful bonner -ortiz fight. I found bonners flapping tits so annoying I had to shut it off.
  • I actually went to bed before that fight. Glad I missed it.

There were a couple of good fights on the card, though, IMO, especially the Joe Schilling KO of Manhoef.

I was flipping back and forth between UFC and Bellator that night, but went to bed after the Brooks/Chandler fight.
  • UFC 181 tomorrow night. Should be a good one.

• UFC 181 tomorrow night. Should be a good one.

Agreed.  Hendricks and Lawler are flat out top level brawlers.  I'll be rooting for Hendricks, but like and respect both fighters.

• Anthony Pettis is one of the best fighters to ever live...and at the age of 27, should be able to prove it for a good while more!

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014

This was SO weird. I wanted Lawler to win but honestly I don't think he did. So weird.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• close fight, I've no issues with 48-47 either way, but the 49-46 card was a joke!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter