Ufc Banter & Predictions

Comments

• Agree with both of you. That was a strange way for the night to end.
  • Lyoto Machida's last win just made me more impressed with Chris weidman. Chris took a good number of those kicks along with other strikes from Lyoto like they were nothing. Also that last flurry from Robbie lawler was so scary.

• 2014 wasn't so bad. 2015 is looking fun. Jones v DC next week, although the rest of the card isn't wonderful.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• edited December 2014

2014 wasn't so bad. 2015 is looking fun. Jones v DC next week, although the rest of the card isn't wonderful.

I hope it lives up to the hype.  Most do not.

Two thoughts percolating...

1) It sets up for the three-fight series, which would be bullshit, as there are other worthy opponents like Gus.

2) Jones destroys Cormier in a way never before seen from Jon.  Kinda like that ruckus at the stare-down was akin to the royal beating at the hands of The Beast that unleashes Sing's inner warrior from an ALL TIME favorite movie Kung Fu Hustle. (If you have not watched it, please do...the English voice-over was best ever!) 

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • although the rest of the card isn't wonderful.

Cerrone's fights are almost always good, though. So that should be a fun one too.
  • I hope it lives up to the hype.  Most do not.

Two thoughts percolating...

1) It sets up for the three-fight series, which would be bullshit, as there are other worthy opponents like Gus.

2) Jones destroys Cormier in a way never before seen from Jon.

I'm rooting for Cormier. I have supported Jones in the past, and he is the best, but I am excited for this fight.

If Jones wins, then I am excited for the Gus rematch.
  • As a long time Jon Jones fan, it is a tough fight to bet or root for, as I respect both fighters.  Cormier seems to be the more honest and "real" of the two, where Jones seems just a little fake.  Jones has that money bloodline with two brothers in the NFL, and they just seem like a pack of alpha males.  Cormier jumped over the entire division, but shit...there is no other matchup I'd rather see, with a Gus/Jones rematch being a close second.  I live like 40 minutes from the gym Cormier and Cain train at, so there is a bit of "local" loyalty as well.  Both undefeated.  I have yet to see Cormier in real trouble.  Him talking of taking Jones into the "deep water" when he has a history of trouble keeping the weight off seems a little far fetched.  American wrestlers are great at controlling fights, but Jones has wicked elbows in the close range, and has had plenty of time to prepare a game plan A, B and C for any scenario he gets put into.  If this fight goes into the 4th and 5th rounds...I'd say Jon wins, but DAMN!!!...this does not get any better.  A 35 year old taking the UFC by storm with his fast hands and elite wrestling vs. a 27 year old phenom who fights like no other before him, with a strong corner for coaching and planning.  Does not get any better than this, and I'm happy both fighters have no "injury excuses" to fall back on this time.  Looking forward to this matchup!

• Agree with your assessment. Hope we're not let down. I lived in the San Jose area 20 years ago, and have visited a few times since then. That and the honesty of Cormier were the tipping points for me to root for him.

• Got 4 fight cards in the next 5 weeks.

Gus v Johnson

McGregor v Siver

Diaz v Silva

Should be a fun month I'm gonna get back into fighting shape and see if this old body & brain can take the grind.

UFC 182 Fight Card

Main Card (on Pay-Per-View):

Jon Jones (20-1) vs. Daniel Cormier (15-0)

Donald Cerrone (25-6, 1 NC) vs. Myles Jury (15-0)

Brad Tavares (12-3) vs. Nate Marquardt (33-13, 2 NC)

Kyoji Horiguchi (14-1) vs. Louis Gaudinot (6-3)

Hector Lombard (34-4-1, 1 NC) vs. Josh Burkman (27-10)

Preliminary Card (on FOX Sports 1):

Danny Castillo (17-7) vs. Paul Felder (9-0)

Marcus Brimage (7-3) vs. Cody Garbrandt (5-0)

Shawn Jordan (16-6) vs. Jared Cannonier (7-0)

Evan Dunham (14-6) vs. Rodrigo Damm (12-8)

Preliminary Card (on UFC Fight Pass):

Omari Akhmedov (13-2) vs. Mats Nilsson (11-3-1)

Alexis Dufresne (5-1) vs. Marion Reneau (4-1)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I hope it lives up to the hype.  Most do not.

Looks as though you were correct. Pretty underwhelming card. Kind of disappointed.

• Looks as though you were correct. Pretty underwhelming card. Kind of disappointed.

Yup...aside from the main event, most of the fights were low on action.  Went to a "UFC Bar" with some old friends, and that place was standing room only even with the $10 cover charge.  Very nice turnout.  I'd guess they reached or surpassed maximum occupancy.  

Cormier may have won a single round, but it was very close to Jones winning every round.  I guess they gave Cormier the 2nd, but it wasn't by much.  With a guy with KO power, the fight was exciting all the way through, though.  The post-fight interviews and press conference was pretty good as well.  Overall it was a great night out, but DAMN...after like 10+ pitchers of Modelo and 3 rounds of Jameson shots...the first half of Sunday was absolutely ruined.  Glad that the hangover "broke" in time for the DAL/DET game which was a fun one.

• So should I be taking coke during my training camp for my next fight! I've given up the diet version, so maybe the powder version will help ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• So should I be taking coke during my training camp for my next fight! I've given up the diet version, so maybe the powder version will help :wink:

If you want to train like Jon Jones, absolutely. If you want to fight like Mike Tyson, take it directly before the fight. 

Overall this seems pretty overblown. Young rich athletes sometimes party. Doesn't mean they need rehab.

Gotta say I'm loving Cerrone right now, 2 fights in 3 weeks? Dude is insane and it's awesome, but I can't imagine weight cutting twice back to back is safe. 

• If I was world champ and probably one of the best fighters ever, I'd play it up heel style. Going into rehab is it's just an occasional social thing (like cigarettes and alcohol) then it's a bullshit move just for public perception. Probably just looking to save sponsor $$$$s. If he does actually have a coke problem, then what's he's done is even more amazing.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• This is from an article on Kelvin Gastelum missing weight, emphasis mine:

While at the hospital, Gastelum was rehydrating and taking medication. Farrar had given him a jug of water and gel packs. Later, the UFC doctor had Gastelum drink Sprite to replenish for sugar intake. The weight-cutting process was long over.

Wow. Just wow. So many issues here. 

Plus, this was a dude who "'became non-responsive' and began vomiting" a little over 24 hours before a very serious fight. Then a licensed physician gave him some fructose water and then he's cleared to fight.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Most people are not concerned with fructose at all. Including doctors. And you can get into such a crappy state when you just need some sugar to get better, especially if you are not fat adapted. Many issues yes but not that shocking, unfortunately. This is how things go in the world.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Yeah, I read that article yesterday, and had the same reaction. 

• Coca Cola could really screw us over by making sodas with non-GMO-derived dextrose in BPA-free cans and none of the sketchy preservatives. 

Post-workout soda anyone?

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015

While at the hospital, Gastelum was rehydrating and taking medication. Farrar had given him a jug of water and gel packs. Later, the UFC doctor had Gastelum drink Sprite to replenish for sugar intake. The weight-cutting process was long over.

I guess the doc was trying to restore his liver glycogen, which i presume would have been 'empty', & a fructose/glucose mix will definitely replete liver glycogen quicker than glucose alone.

fake it till you make it

• Should be a pretty good card tonight, from top to bottom, with the exception of maybe one or two fights. Looking forward to it.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Coca Cola could really screw us over by making sodas with non-GMO-derived dextrose in BPA-free cans and none of the sketchy preservatives. 

Post-workout soda anyone?

oh yes :D

http://www.bjjee.com/articles/new-research-fast-food-just-as-good-as-supplements-for-workout-recovery/

just for fun

• I'm pretty excited for Machida Vs. Rockhold, Lyoto is my favorite fighter. Who you guys got? I never pick against Lyoto, but Rockhold is a huge middle weight and has been doing very well lately.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I'm pretty excited for Machida Vs. Rockhold, Lyoto is my favorite fighter. Who you guys got? I never pick against Lyoto, but Rockhold is a huge middle weight and has been doing very well lately.

I'm excited too. Very tough to call, especially since it's not like Machida isn't used to fighting bigger guys. I guess I lean towards Rockhold simply because he's the younger fighter and presumably improving more between fights. No doubt Machida could finish him with a good flurry or crazy kick though. Did you see Lyoto's signature moves? Kinda cheesy, but I found it on Tim Ferriss' twitter, so I will blame Tim for that. 

Bummer about Romero.

• I really like Machida. One of the best guys in the sport. But I think Rockhold might take this one due to the things that ACH mentioned (younger, improving between fights).
  • I just feel Rockhold hasn't been fighting guys his caliber so his highlight reel looks better than it would be otherwise. That being said, it doesn't mean that he's not as good as he's been looking.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Holy Cow I'm watching a lot of fights. Seems like a UFC every weekend, and if not there's a Bellator or an interesting boxing match.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Starting with the Matt Brown/Tim Means fight, UFC 189 was probably the most exciting fights I have ever seen. Last night was great!

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

add on TUF sunday night and Mir v Duffee wednesday night and I'm getting overloaded! Bisbing the weekend too!

I'm watching a lot of fight!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Yeah, it is a bit much. But I guess their goal is to be like the NFL/NBA/NHL.

"UFC will be the biggest sport in the world by 2020." - Dana White
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

They just should do it with less drama, because they are also getting a bit close to the WWE.