Upgraded Whey On Back Order, Recommend Alternatives

Any alternative whey brand people can recommend?

Comments

• I get true whey protein from iherb.com http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-True-Whey-Premium-Protein-Powder-16-oz-453-59-g/8180

They say from grass fed cows, without antibiotics and that they specifically don't make it as a by product of cheese which is probably the reason it has a much higher calcium and other mineral ratio to other whey proteins.
  • I just ordered some True Whey from Amazon - 2lbs for $38. Hopefully Upgraded Whey will be back in the next month or so and I can switch to that.

I currently have NaturalFactors Whey that is pretty pure from what I can see and around $44 for 2 lbs. Mixes easily and doesn't have anything strange.
  • edited May 2012
    The Bluebonnet looks interesting and like a good deal (cost per serving/protein content wise). Strange though that the natural unflavored has soybeans, but the flavored dont!

Thanks for all the great options, friends.
  • It looks like my MRM whey (bought from bodybuilding.com) will likely last until Upgraded Whey is restocked. I'll be curious to see a difference. I have never had stomach irritation problems or anything like that from whey.
  • I'd just buy more beef. image/icon_mrgreen.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mrgreen:' />
  • I use NutraBio and I like it.

NutraBio is not grass fed and I'm sure it is not as good for you as Upgraded Whey which is part of the reason for my writing.

Upgraded Whey is twice the price but NutraBio requires twice the recommended amount which makes it a wash. BUT, how is it that 'Upgraded Whey' recommends using to use 2 tbs. or 10 grams of protein powder per serving and a product like NuraBio recomends using 4.75 tbs. yeilding 25 grams of protein. Do you get as much protein/nutrtion from Upgraded Whey because it is more bio available and is it that much better to warrant the price?

thanks,...wyatt
  • edited July 2014

Any thoughts on Allmax Nutrition Isonatural?  I am still finishing up a 5 lb tub I have of it.  It is not from grass fed cows as far as I can tell.   They also add extra glutamine and BCAAs I think (or maybe they used to).  They claim they have more native GMP (glycomacropeptide) but I'm not sure what the benefit is.  It's a Canadian company and my understanding is that Canadian supplement standards are pretty high.

I've moved away from drinking whey since I use so much collagen now but want to start whey again.  Will try upgraded whey at some point but want to finish my Thorne and Allmax first.

I also would like to try Bluebonnet whey at some point.  Bluebonnet and Bulletproof Upgraded Whey both seem to have extra immunoglobulins but maybe Upgraded whey has more.  The Thorne and Allmax Whey doesn't mention any immunoglobulins specifically but I presume it's still in there because it's cold processed.

http://www.allmaxnutrition.com/products-type/isonatural-original/

The low temperature microfiltration provides undenatured protein with many bioactive whey protein fractions.

Other whey processing technologies using higher temperatures cause irreversible unfolding of the protein fractions that can drastically reduce the biological activity of the protein. Based on solubility at pH of 4.6, IsoNatural Whey Protein Isolate has a mere 3% denatured proteins, which is approximately 10% less than ion-exchange whey protein isolates and typically less than other microfiltration whey protein isolates. IsoNatural Whey Protein Isolates also contain up to 12 times more native GMP than ion-exchange whey protein isolates.

ALLMAX Nutrition IsoNaturalâ„¢ Whey Protein Isolate Description

• 93% Pure Protein In Every Scoop

• Pure Whey Protein Isolate

• Zero Sugar Added

• Zero Sweetener

• Zero Flavoring

• Zero Coloring

• Pure and Natural

• 100% Quality & Potency Guaranteed

The Most Trusted Name In Protein

IsoNaturalâ„¢ is an Ultra-Pure Whey Protein Isolate with absolutely no added flavor, sugar, sweeteners or color. Each serving contains 28 grams of protein, which yields an amazing 93% pure (bioactive) protein in every scoop. IsoNatural is the perfect way to increase protein in your diet. IsoNatural mixes quickly and easily making it an excellent addition to any delicious recipe. IsoNatural does not contain whey protein concentrate. As a result, IsoNatural contains 0.2g of fat and 0.7g sugar (naturally occurring) and is 98% lactose-free. IsoNatural delivers exceptional protein quality with no flavor added. IsoNatural is produced in a pharmaceutically-licensed, air-pressure sealed cGMP facility; ensuring that the protein has been produced under the purest and cleanest conditions possible. IsoNatural is aspartame-free, non-GMO and gluten-free.

Cold Temperature Processing Technology [CTPâ„¢]: Our exclusive Cold Temperature Process employs a truly unique protein extraction technology that suspends pure protein fractions in their native state thereby eliminating the need for harsh chemicals and denaturing heat. This process allows IsoNatural to have an exceptionally high protein yield while maintaining essential bioactive components and extraordinary protein macrofractions.

Supplement Facts

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (30 g)

Servings per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 118

Total Fat 0.2 g 1%

Saturated Fat 0.1 g 1%

Trans Fat 0 g *

Cholesterol 1.6 mg 1%

Carbohydrates 1 g 1%

Sugars 0.7 g *

Fiber 0 g 1%

Sodium 44 mg 2%

Potassium 146 mg 5%

Protein 28 g *

Calcium 154 mg 14%

Iron 1%

Amino Acid Profile per serving 30 g *

L-Alanine 1377 mg *

L-Arginine 867 mg *

L-Aspartic Acid 2835 mg *

L-Cysteine 648 mg *

L-Glutamic Acid 4617 mg *

L-Glycine 432 mg *

L-Histidine 432 mg *

L-Hydroxyproline 27 mg *

L-Isoleucine 1974 mg *

L-Leucine 3189 mg *

L-Lysine 2997 mg *

L-Methionine 594 mg *

L-Phenylalanine 756 mg *

L-Proline 1485 mg *

L-Serine 1188 mg *

L-Threonine 1755 mg *

L-Tryptophan 459 mg *

L-Tyrosine 756 mg *

L-Valine 1612 mg *

TOTAL 28000 mg *

*Daily value not established.

Other Ingredients: Whey protein isolate (WPI90).

Supplement Facts ISONATURAL 2LB Vanilla Serving Size: 1 scoop (30g) Servings Per Container: 30   Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*   Calories 115       Calories from Fat 0   Total Fat 0 g 0%     Saturated Fat 0 g 0%     Trans Fat 0 g † Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 45 mg 2% Potassium 150 mg 4% Total Carbohydrates 1 g <1%     Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%     Sugars 0 g † Protein 28 g 56%   Vitamin A   0% Vitamin C   0% Calcium   15% Iron   0%  

INGREDIENTS: Whey Protein Isolate (WPI90â„¢), Lecithin (less than 1%)

ALLERGEN INFORMATION: Contains Protein derived from Milk and Lecithin derived from Soy (less than 1%). Produced in a facility that also handles Egg, Peanut, Tree Nut, Fish, Crustacean and Shellfish products.

* Percent daily values are based on a 2000 calorie diet

† Daily Value not established

• CrazyhorseCrazyhorse INFIDEL
    edited July 2014

Any alternative whey brand people can recommend?

Check out truenutrition.com. They carry grass fed whey and you can even add MCT powder to it if you want.
  • I like Vital Whey. I believe it contains the exact same whey protein Dave uses (Proserum®). It's only lacking the added colostrum. 

http://amzn.to/1zexBrv

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• Thanks.

I like Vital Whey. I believe it contains the exact same whey protein Dave uses (Proserum®). It's only lacking the added colostrum. 

• The 2.5 lb. bag is more economical:

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Wisdom-Proteins-Vital-Natural/dp/B008JFQ3O0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404739594&sr=8-1&keywords=Well+Wisdom+Proteins+-+Vital+Whey+Natural+2.5lb+bag

You're paying a lot for that added colostrum.

I like Vital Whey. I believe it contains the exact same whey protein Dave uses (Proserum®). It's only lacking the added colostrum.