Bulletproof Contraception

Hello Ladies,

Any thoughts on best forms of contraception while living a BP lifestyle? I know that many ladies on here are looking at BP as a way to increase their fertility and whilst I'm certainly not looking to decrease mine we are not looking to start a family any time soon.

My fella and I have been living mainly BP for most of this year and absolutely loving it! We feel great with more energy and less body fat (we are also doing the Big 5 weight training).

I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Also as an aside has anyone experienced hormone imbalances (breakthrough bleeding....that kind of thing) since starting the BP IF and supplements?

Comments

• The book: Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Cheesy name but great book. I use the website Fertility Friend for charting. I use it for fertility, but most use it for contraception.

• karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"

The book: Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Cheesy name but great book. I use the website Fertility Friend for charting. I use it for fertility, but most use it for contraception.

Highly recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility!! If you are regular, this is a great solution. If you aren't regular, the process of charting can help you investigate the issues behind the irregularity. 

As much as I also really love Dr. Sara's work (The Hormone Cure) - I was a little surprised to hear her endorse the rebranding of the copper IUD.

It's a personal decision for every woman, obviously, but please research the iud risks. Here are just some: Anemia, Backache, Bleeding between periods (this seems to be very common), Cramping, Vaginitis/Inflammation of the vagina, Pain during intercourse, Severe menstrual pain, Vaginal discharge, Bloating, Weight Gain, and if positioned improperly or slips out of place, it can scrape or puncture the uterus and scar tissue can develop, which can cause a whole host of different problems.

The iud can cause a copper-zinc imbalance in the body (we need zinc for immune function, B vitamin absorption, among other things, and these two are so closely related that any imbalance in one affects the other. The iud actually causes an inflammatory response in the uterus, which then triggers stress hormones, which then leads to hormone imbalance, weight gain and bloating.

Many women have reported being able to feel it, making it an uncomfortable experience.

I am a massage therapist who specializes in abdominal and fertility massage, so I have had experience with many women and their birth control issues, and have often had to help them regain health after things like birth control pills, the shot, patches, and iuds. Sorry, but I wouldn't suggest any of these to anyone I care about. Vascectomies are quick and reversible. There is also smart RISUG for men, but I don't believe it is available in the US yet, and with the damage it could do to female contraceptive sales, I don't know if it will ever pass clinical trials here. 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Vascectomies being harmless is a common misconception, can lead to problems like sperm granulomas, post-vasectomy pain syndrome,and the vasectomy isn't always reversible. Is Is it safer than a woman getting their tubes tied though, yes it is.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I have a copper IUD, have had it for four years now (it's good for five although the percentage drops from 99% to 95% or so in this time), but so far so good! I did a ton of research prior, but I am full out against anything that messes with my hormones so it was this or take my chances so to speak! I don't regret getting the IUD, nor do I have a single bad thing to say about it!

• i've read fairly widely on this recently. it was only after finding the bulletproof lifestyle that i stopped taking the pill (and subsequently became angry and sad at all the information that was withheld from me when i was a teenager and clearly didn't know any better). as far as i can see, barriers and the rhythm method are the most bulletproof. 

from the better baby book:

the bottom line is that using any contraceptive method other than the diaphragm, the condom, or the rhythm method can have serious consequences. even many condoms are made of toxic materials, so take care in selecting a safe brand.

i'd encourage you to look into the work of jane bennett and sara gottfried. oh, and if you lift, you might find jade teta's ideas on female phase training interesting.

• the lubricant on most comdoms is full of nastiness.  it can be hard to find non-lubricated, but it's worth it.  use your own lube

the lubricant on most comdoms is full of nastiness.  it can be hard to find non-lubricated, but it's worth it.  use your own lube

Coconut oil.

TMI?

Oh , whatever. COCONUT OIL. :)
  • I agree with you Karen, TMI or not! Coconut oil also has to added benefits of being an anti fungal, antibacterial, annnddd au natural! This is in the female zone anyways, sorry boys! :-P

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Go on, someone make a joke about extra virgin oil ;-)

• Hi Kate, 

I am fairly new tot he whole Bulletproof thing, but started my transition to primal/paleo about 6 months ago. I was on birth control at the time and was very irregular (my doctor's continued solution was to try me on every possible kind of birth control known, over a time span of 1.5 yrs, but nothing really worked), sometimes having my period every 2 weeks (not fun). As I started getting stricter with my diet and cutting out the gluten, and then more and more processed carbs, I noticed a trend that everytime I 'slipped-up' and had gluten, I started my period exactly 2 days later. I even tested this for 2 months in a row, and sure enough, both times I had gluten, I started my period.

I am now very anti-gluten, and have fixed that aspect, but was still having irregular periods and felt myself getting a bit depressed on occasion, especially when stressed. I considered getting off of the birth control for awhile, but what really pushed me over was listening to a podcast interview by Dave with Dr. Sara Gottfried, and reading both The Hormone Cure and The Better Baby Book...the combination scared me enough to just say no more.

I did research, and found out the copper IUD works by causing a chronic inflammatory environment in your body. Maybe not horrible sounding, but working in cancer research, chronic inflammation is one of the main causes of cancer, and thus that was a definite NO for me (even though I could not find any scientific research linking the copper IUD with cancers). They are also not recommended for women who want to have children one day.

The other option I found was the LadyComp. It tracks your cycle and uses your temperature to determine when you are ovulating...I have only had mine a month now, so can't really give any feedback yet, but so far so good, and I suggest at least looking into it. At least get off of the birth control! I feel a million times better, and my boobs even started growing...

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

• Ahaaha @thatstevenbaker definitely LOL'd when I read that!!

Hi Kate, 

I am fairly new tot he whole Bulletproof thing, but started my transition to primal/paleo about 6 months ago. I was on birth control at the time and was very irregular (my doctor's continued solution was to try me on every possible kind of birth control known, over a time span of 1.5 yrs, but nothing really worked), sometimes having my period every 2 weeks (not fun). As I started getting stricter with my diet and cutting out the gluten, and then more and more processed carbs, I noticed a trend that everytime I 'slipped-up' and had gluten, I started my period exactly 2 days later. I even tested this for 2 months in a row, and sure enough, both times I had gluten, I started my period.

I am now very anti-gluten, and have fixed that aspect, but was still having irregular periods and felt myself getting a bit depressed on occasion, especially when stressed. I considered getting off of the birth control for awhile, but what really pushed me over was listening to a podcast interview by Dave with Dr. Sara Gottfried, and reading both The Hormone Cure and The Better Baby Book...the combination scared me enough to just say no more.

I did research, and found out the copper IUD works by causing a chronic inflammatory environment in your body. Maybe not horrible sounding, but working in cancer research, chronic inflammation is one of the main causes of cancer, and thus that was a definite NO for me (even though I could not find any scientific research linking the copper IUD with cancers). They are also not recommended for women who want to have children one day.

The other option I found was the LadyComp. It tracks your cycle and uses your temperature to determine when you are ovulating...I have only had mine a month now, so can't really give any feedback yet, but so far so good, and I suggest at least looking into it. At least get off of the birth control! I feel a million times better, and my boobs even started growing...

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

SarahB: I wanted to click "like" to you post, but I got a popup message that I've reached my daily limit of likes (two??) Anyway: "like" :)
    I just saw this in my fb feed today...prose about the pill. Sound familiar to anyone else?

TAKE THESE PILLS!

FRIDAY, JUNE 14TH, 2013 / LISA GRAHAM

Good morning young lady

Please lie on this slab

It really won’t hurt, not a bit –

Please relax.

I see nothing wrong,

no reason for pain -

However some women

do tend to complain.

Here, take this packet,

it’s commonly used

by women with many more

problems than you.

Some pain is just normal,

no reason to fuss –

just take these small pills

and return in three months.

If this doesn’t work, we’ve got

more you can try.

If you’re sad that is normal -

it’s normal to cry.

It’s normal to suffer-

you must be very weak.

Other women, just like you,

tough it out, so to speak.

These pills are quite safe.

They prevent any pain.

This means what you feel

must be caused by your brain.
  • That poem made me sad.  My wife was on the birth control pill when we first got married and we had to learn about it the hard way.  I wish that I knew then what I know now--about a lot of things.