How To Take Collagen Peptide W/o Gagging...

Any clues? I tried with water and apple sauce.

Comments

• I mix mine with room temperature water and a good amount of fresh squeezed lemon juice. I only use like 6 oz of water so I can just get it down quickly. I have also mixed it into a smoothie in a blender.
  • I mix mine with kale, cucumber, celery, half an apple, stevia and ice. Delicious and I get all the veggies at the same time. On my off days, I mix it with fruit.......berries, banana, apple and collagen. Delicious....mix it in the vitamix and freeze your fruit before blending and it is like ice cream.
  • You don't like drinking liquid toenails? Like Kay and Oryx, I've found the best way is to throw it into a shake. Some Bulletproof Whey along with the collagen, glutathione, Probiotic Ultra Blend, L-Glutamine, ice or low-glycemic frozen fruit and some vanilla extract is what I usually do. Otherwise, I take it like a man and concentrate on keeping it down. Something about mixing in the collagen and the glutathione together makes it worse than the two separately without some vanilla. To make it nearly impossible to stomach, add in some super-bitter BCAA powder...
  • Thanks, everyone! Sounds like I need to put more effort into it. I stopped smoothies a while ago but perhaps I can add them back in. I tried the water w/lime since I didn't have lemons-not good-maybe lemons are better. I did try mixing in a little grass fed keifer & frozen blueberries-it's not so bad!
  • LOL.The glutathione is just plain nasty! I was doing collagen and glutathione together with the lemon juice but it was just too much to handle. I haven't tried lime, lemon is a little bit sweeter than lime, I think, and I use almost a whole lemon...and down it like a shot. I don't like putting the collagen into smoothies all the time because you should take it on an empty stomach more often than with food, so the lemon juice works well for me first thing in the morning right before my coffee, I use 2 tbsp. collagen, and then later when I break my fast, I will have another tbsp. in a smoothie.
  • I can't find anything about the bulletproofness of Vitamin C powder on the site, but adding it to the collagen made it go down easier with room temp water. Not Mary Poppins easy, but easier than without.
  • i mix the collagen in a SMALL amount of water, then add a splash of MCT oil. The MCT makes it go down more easily.
  • 'Oryx' wrote:

LOL.The glutathione is just plain nasty! I was doing collagen and glutathione together with the lemon juice but it was just too much to handle. I haven't tried lime, lemon is a little bit sweeter than lime, I think, and I use almost a whole lemon...and down it like a shot. I don't like putting the collagen into smoothies all the time because you should take it on an empty stomach more often than with food, so the lemon juice works well for me first thing in the morning right before my coffee, I use 2 tbsp. collagen, and then later when I break my fast, I will have another tbsp. in a smoothie.

squirt the glutathione directly from the bottle into your mouth, then wash it down with something else. mixing it into a drink makes it taste worse, and prolongs the experience.
  • LOL! I know it definitely does not taste good.

You could do the old school hold your nose while you drink it trick?

I drink it in water and only use about 6oz so I can get it down quick.

I also mix it in a smoothie too. I know the bottle says it's best to take on an empty stomach but the way I look at it, when our ancestral predecessors were chowing down on animal meat and they were also eating the tendonds, ligaments and skin i.e. collagen along with the meat.

So, I have to wonder about how super critical it is to take on an empty stomach. I think Dave mentioned on one of the Podcasts that he takes it on an empty stomach so other proteins do not compete with the Collagen protein which makes sense to me so when I take it with a shake I only use fruit and vegetables to minimize competition with other proteins.
  • I just got my collagen peptide and was apprehensive about trying it after reading this thread. I was expecting it to have a strong unpleasant flavor. The flavor isn't strong at all. Grant you it doesn't taste GOOD but it wouldn't make me gag! I just mix it with a very small amount of water, add a few drops of vanilla extract and down the hatch it goes. Don't breathe in while drinking and you won't smell it. Many times, it's the odor of a substance that's offensive moreso than the taste, and the smell multiplies your reaction.
  • Its fine... I mix with whey and gulp it down to end my bp fast... also take it post-workout with whey and at bed with whey.
  • I've found that the taste isn't that bad it's the smell that is unpleasant. Here's what I do to get around it:

I blend it with room temperature filtered water in a short magic bullet (which I think is 6 ounces) for a few seconds. This blends it perfectly but leaves a foam on top the foam is especially aromatic but will evaporate after a few minutes.

I then breathe deeply a few times and, while holding my breath drink all of the collagen. I then exhale through my mouth and inhale through my nose several times and then rinse out my mouth.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file