Inner Balance For Ios Review

Comments

• I'm heading off to a full 2-3 hour HeartMath workshop tomorrow morning hosted by Alan. Does anyone have any specific questions that need to be answered?

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited July 2013

not really for alan, but i was just reading your post earlier about why you chose the emwave2 over inner balance. do you still feel confident in that decision or do you ever wish you'd gone with the inner balance instead?  i'm deciding between the two and with price taken out of the equation because of a recent groupon deal, i'm still not sure about the emwave2 vs. the inner balance app. so...it seems like

inner balance gives you feedback that is immediate, but doesn't store as much data.

emwave2 requires you to download data to your computer, but you can store more data

so emwave2 would probably be better for long term analysis, but inner balance is totally adequate if you're mostly just looking to practice at becoming more coherent? if you wanted the long-term data could you just record your scores from inner balance yourself? 

the other issue i'm worried about is whether inner balance would slow my ipod down. i keep my ipod mostly full of music, and if i get too close to capacity i start getting these popping sounds when i listen to music via USB in my car. 

i'm tempted to take advantage of the groupon deal just cause its a deal, but the immediate gratification and not needing to bring my computer around with me seem like good reasons to go with inner balance....

• edited July 2013

Yeah I must admit it's a tough choice, I haven't gone and bought either yet because Alan gave me the heads up that the prices would be changing in the next few days (new prices was updated on the website today).

I think both devices have their own pros and cons, something that I've recently thought about which honestly is making me reconsider, is the whole longevity of either system.

If HeartMath launch a new and improved system sometime in the future, those who use the EmWave2 will need to buy new devices. Those who use the Inner Balance App will hopefully be able to just update via the app store (unless for some reason it requires a different sensor/adapter and or the app isn't free this time).

Other than that I still think the EmWave2 would be best, especially if you are looking to try out various other HRV apps (run them both concurrently) that might come out in the future which require to be running on your iPhone. Also again, if you get the Inner Balance you are then tied to iOS forever or until they release something for Android.

• hzahza ✭✭
    edited August 2013

If HeartMath launch a new and improved system sometime in the future, those who use the EmWave2 will need to buy new devices.

I don't see why that would be true at all.  The only reason you would need to buy a new EmWave is if you maxed out all 4 levels of the EW2 and your only option for improvement was an updated device.  

I mentioned this on the Groupon thread but it probably is more relevant here:  I bought the precursor to the iOM, also developed by (or in partnership with, I'm not sure) Heartmath back in 2003.  This is the device used originally by the Wild Divine software suite, and now in other HRV-oriented applications like those made by Somatic Vision (which also work with EmWave).  

In 10 years, the only thing that's changed is that they've fit the iOM into a smaller package (in 2006).  Basically it's a sensor/amp bundle in need of software for analysis and applications.  From what I can tell, EmWave is essentially like that, with a limited on-board UI for standalone use.  

No matter what new products Heartmath introduces (and I suspect they're going to be leaning heavily toward the iOS/Android market, since that seems to be where all the growth and excitement is to be found these days), it's going to be hard to surpass what the EmWave2 already does.  They can either make a smaller device, or add more sensor abilities like gsr or some sort of EEG, and for the purposes of HRV and coherence training, you don't need all that.  Like I said before, until you master all the levels that the EW2 offers, you'll have plenty to keep busy training.

Also, suppose they DO release an EW3 soon.  How much do you suppose that'll cost?  The same iOM they released in 2006 is still selling new for US$279 (deals can be found here and there, of course, but that's the standard retail price atm).  I bet you an EmWave3 would run significantly higher than $169 (or $99 if you can take advantage of the Groupon deal).

Anyway, that's what's motivating me to buy one.  I get plenty of use out of my old iOM, but I'd like something I can take outdoors, and I want to use it to monitor qigong practice and etc.  I couldn't justify spending in the $200 range just for that, but $100 I can do with no regrets.

EDIT

Forgot to thank everyone for a great thread.  Well done!

• Wow! I didn't realise you guys were still so active, asking so many great questions. My apologies for being M.I.A, it's been a busy week of meetings, coaching, and prepping for a workshop. 

Thanks to Eric (Geek Gone Strong) for answering Katolotus's questions so well. Here are some points to consider for questions 4 and 5:

Katolotus wrote: 4. If Inner Balance doesn't effect my heart rate (HRV) when I'm not breathing correctly, how has it effected my general mood?

HRV, as it relates to mood, is an indicator of your potential to deal with situations in your everyday life that could possibly leave you feeling depleted and stressed out. The higher your HRV, the more flexible your responses, the better your mood. Think of it this way... always try and bring it back to the basics of physiology. Your nervous system is wired to respond to the situations occurring in your environment. Either high heart rate (fight, flight, Sympathetic, Adrenaline), or low heart rate (freeze, fold, Parasympathetic, Acetylcholine). Stressful situations, and it could be as tiny as you rolling your eyes and saying "here we go again" to yourself when you overhear a work colleague embellishing his holiday trip to Vegas, will produce either one or the other, a higher than usual heart rate or a lower than usual heart rate. This is your physiology reacting to what you perceive as "stress". That reaction is going to leave a little more Adrenaline or Acetylcholine in your body than usual. Then there's Cortisol, which takes up to 13 hours to metabolise. In fact, whenever we have an emotional shift we're releasing 1400 biochemical changes into the body to support us in that shift. That emotional shift can be from happy to sad or sad to happy. It'll be a combination of Adrenaline and Cortisol, or Adrenaline and DHEA, or Acetylcholine and Cortisol, or Acetylcholine and DHEA, etc. By practicing to regulate your HRV, you're affecting a steady heart rhythm in your body, becoming more flexible in the way you handle day to day situations because you're accessing the pre-frontal lobe (neocortex... you're no longer in the emotional "Am I safe?" limbic brain) and ultimately releasing more DHEA, making you feel better. And what used to stress you out no longer does, or it takes longer to have an effect on you.

Katolotus wrote: 5. If Inner Balance does effect the heart rate (HRV) when not in coherence, how does that effect my physical body, i.e. muscle damage from training, recover speeds, general physical abilities.

The goal in training with Inner Balance is to regulate your HRV and get into high coherence (the green) and stay there for as long as possible. The more your Inner Balance sessions can reflect this being in high coherence over longer periods of time, the more you'll be building resilience, moving your current psycho-physiological baseline to a "better" one. You'll then take that resilience and coherence with you throughout the day. In other words, have you noticed how some people think of their daily stress as "normal"? It's not normal. It may be as result of the lifestyle we have and the fast-paced world we live in, but it's far from normal. Their "normal" reactions are to be impatient, become angry, frustrated, or reinforce all the negativity around them... to strain themselves. Then they'll go on to say, "But I need stress to get things done. I work best under pressure." They're confusing stress and pressure with challenge. When you train in the gym, you don't stress your body out... that would be overtraining. You challenge your body and mind to go beyond your comfort zone, but to go there intelligently and not hurt (or hurt too much). By being aware of your HRV you're then training intelligently. It's also a two-way direction: being aware of your heart rhythm patterns can indicate the days you can "go for it" and the days you should take it easy, and training your HRV helps speed up recovery time, the same way that rhythmic breathing and regulating heart rate can bring a runner quickly into a healthy resting heart rate after a sprint. Again, it's about increasing the heart's flexibility, or variability, to respond to the challenges, and not burn out.

I hope this answers your questions :)

@Baba Yaga... I loved what you said about your breathing practice! I was chatting to a sports scientist the other day and she echoed what you say... When we take that full belly breath and expand it into the rib cage and above, the diaphragm massages the heart. Massages. Love it! Also, you're absolutely correct about feeling the intrinsic qualities of the heart, and it all starts with the mind being able to access a memory or an imagination of what those qualities feel like. For some people they struggle in the beginning (I was one of those), for others they can feel it a lot easier and can go there quite naturally. For me it was about re-training my brain to focus on the feelings that I wanted to feel through past memories, and not the thoughts and feelings that were taking me further into my depression at the time.

@MrJB Smith... I see you found one of the studies available on the www.heartmath.org site :)

@ryanlucht... IBT will help you "know" you're in the zone of your meditation practice by monitoring your coherence, thereby enhancing the quality of that mindfulness practice. Besides the monitoring aspect, it can also "teach" something very valuable... detachment. How? Well, our natural inclination with technology is to want to "see" it at work, what's happening, how's it performing, how am I performing? So we actively engage with it. We first become an active participant, seeing our heart rate, our focus, our emotional state being reflected back to us on the screen. We see when we're in the red (low or normal coherence, not necessarily bad btw), or when we're in the green. Our natural tendencies are then to perform well, get into the green, get a high score. And so we "try" to influence the technology to change. But we quickly realise that the reverse is actually true. We can't influence the technology to change, we can only affect the change in ourselves, and then the technology reflects that. So we turn our attention even more inward, learn to become a passive observer, and influence ourselves to change. In this re-training new neural pathways are formed. The more we train in this zone, the stronger those neural connections will be, and so this new learning becomes a deeply engrained part of us which we then take out into the world with us. We become passive observers to life with the power to choose our responses and when to engage actively. 

@ReggieV... Thanks for sharing your experience. Remember, coherence isn't defined by low or high heart rate, but by the harmony and synchronisation occurring in our body and nervous system, our mind and our emotions. Watching something interesting that excites you would possibly elevate your heart rate, but the excitement is releasing feel good hormones into the body. You said it best when you said "engrossed, drowning out all the background chatter in your brain." You're in the zone!

@runchamp... Yup, you can purchase an ear piece separately from HeartMath.

@MrJB Smith... You're on the money! Total % high coherence over time is your goal. The longer you're in the green the better. Next up for me is the PSD (Power Spectrum Density)... that peak you're talking about. The other numbers (achievement score, coherence score) are all part of the algorithm obtained from those two bits of information as far as I understand. When we focus our emotions to drive us positively, for example feeling ease, joy or appreciation, in our IBT session training, we're re-training neural pathways for more of the same. The longer we stay in high coherence (the green), even though the challenge level has increased, the better. We're learning to focus our attention on what makes us feel good even in challenging situations, thus maintaining that ease, joy or appreciation. When the body isn't under threat we're sending a better signal to the neocortex, the thinking brain, and we come up with better solutions, more creativity, insight, etc.

@Baba Yaga.. That sounds like an awesome morning! I'll have more of those please :) .Interesting what you say about Chinese medicine, I've come across that too in my earlier studies in the late 90s. I'll take another look at it and keep it in mind. Thank you. And btw, that is not an actress in the HeartMath Inner Balance video, that's Marije Miller, one of HeartMath's core trainers. 

@drumminangoleiro... If you go with emWave2 you don't need to take your computer with you. It's a stand alone unit and you can download your sessions to your computer. Although you might want to do so regularly, there is already a lot of information available on the unit itself when you've learned to read it. Besides changing the settings like audio feedback volumes, light intensity, a stealth mode, and coherence challenge levels, you can also read your coherence ratios on the emWave2 at any moment in the basic user mode, and in the advanced user mode you can read your HRV. Remember, the aim is to get into the green and stay there for as long as possible regardless of the challenge level. That's it. So to this end emWave2 works just as well as IBT. If you then want to see your sessions and overall progress afterwards plotted out onto the graph, then you'll download those sessions. You can also run a session off your computer at any time and watch the HRV graph in real time by connecting your emWave2 to your computer. If you're going to be using IBT on an iPod Touch then that could limit the times you can use it, for example, when driving. You can choose your own music to play through the app, but if you have a car adapter like mine which plugs into the 30 pin connector (and not through the headphone jack) to play music, you can't use your IBT, because of the limits of the iPod. Similarly with iPad and iPhone. I wanted to project a live IBT session onto a screen at a talk I gave when IBT first came out, and almost ended up buying a $60 projector adaptor for my iPad which I wouldn't have been able to use, as all smart devices only have that one connector. Other than that, Eric's (Geek Gone Strong) reasoning for purchasing either is sound. He gives good pros and cons, and it'll depend entirely on your needs and use.

@Geek Gone Strong... I don't think we'll be seeing an update on the physical emWave2 unit itself. Probably only further updates in e2 software. emWave2 does all that it needs to when it comes to HRV training. I think you're right about app development though. At the current rate of development, the future certainly is starting to look very exciting as we discover more ways to manage ourselves through our technology. We'll still be limited to one device at a time though, due to smart device limitations ;)

@hza... I also started out with Wild Divine originally. I still have the old blue "light stone". That's what got me into HeartMath.. the want of something more scientific and accessible to the masses vs a "spiritual game to be played" (although there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but in the coaching environment I need accessibility... the corporate world frowns on the softer spiritual approach). I'd just like to comment on your line: until you master all the levels that the EW2 offers, you'll have plenty to keep busy training. It's true. However, even if someone is working on challenge level 4 on emWave2 or IBT, can they consistently remain in 99% high coherence over a 20 minute period? What about 40 minutes? Maybe. Feeling Appreciation could do that. Then what about Forgiveness? To appreciate someone or something is easy, to stay focused on feeling forgiveness is a lot harder. What about using the emWave2 or IBT practice to become congruent with your thoughts and beliefs about things? Think the thought, "I have all that I need", and try and stay coherent at level 4 for 20 minutes. There are multiple, countless ways we can use this technology to train ourselves. So you're quite right... there's a lot to keep us busy training.

To all of you, thank you for a wonderful thread with great experiences and information. Some of you have contacted me asking about personal coaching, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can with the info you need. 

Director HeartMath South Africa, Lead Trainer and Licensed 1:1 Provider & Coach

Relationships | Results | Resilience

A Change of Heart Changes Everything

http://alanstrydom.com/

http://www.heartmathsouthafrica.co.za/

http://www.heartmathstore.co.za/

http://www.heartmathproviders.co.za/

http://www.youtube.com/user/HeartMathSouthAfrica

https://www.facebook.com/HeartMathSouthAfrica

“Every famous athlete, every famous performer, has somebody who is a coach. Somebody who can watch what they’re doing and say ‘Is that what you really meant? Did you really do that thing?’… give them perspective. The one thing that people are not good at, is seeing themselves as others see them. A coach really really helps.” â€“ Eric Schmidt – Google CEO

• @Alan, thank you for time you've spent sharing your wealth of information on Heartmath.  I didn't realize that the Wild Divine game used  coherence, that game always looked interesting to me but I could never justify spending the money they wanted for it.  Great all the ways you've suggested to practice, you're right, there's a lot to keep us busy. 

(I wasn't referring to the Webinars, more the audio files that came with the package, voice cadence reminded me of Marlin Perkins LOL) 

• thanks for the reply alan!  i decided to go ahead and get the groupon deal. i figure my ipod's already got enough going on, don't wanna risk spending $100 for an app that slows things down even more. i'm looking forward to trying this thing out!

• Ok, didn't think this would happened. HRV on sweatbeat was very low this morning after some hard training. 5 mins later I didn't my inner balance training and got the highest peak (11.0) I've ever had and a very good general session compare to the week, which hasn't been great!

InnerBalance_14Aug13_zpsaa8b0538.jpg HRV_14Aug13_zps5614796e.jpg

Not how I expected the HRV thing to work. Sweetbeat uses a heart rate monitor (HRM) and I don't do any particular breathing while the 3 minute reading is taken. Relaxed lying down, like the inner balance training. Still not sure the real difference between you normal HRV and getting in coherence and how each effects each other.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Ok, didn't think this would happened. HRV on sweatbeat was very low this morning after some hard training. 5 mins later I didn't my inner balance training and got the highest peak (11.0) I've ever had and a very good general session compare to the week, which hasn't been great!

InnerBalance_14Aug13_zpsaa8b0538.jpg HRV_14Aug13_zps5614796e.jpg

Not how I expected the HRV thing to work. Sweetbeat uses a heart rate monitor (HRM) and I don't do any particular breathing while the 3 minute reading is taken. Relaxed lying down, like the inner balance training. Still not sure the real difference between you normal HRV and getting in coherence and how each effects each other.

==================

So if you got an 11.0 then what the hell is the highest score/level you can achieve?

BUTTER TEA

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

Is that the highest so far?

Am I the Reigning Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion...? :wink:

maybe my inner balance is like the spinal tap amp!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Kato, you're the reigning "Mad Monk" congrats!  MrJBSmith updated the Leaderboard.  11 is the new 10, :cool:

• Just a quick update. I'm still doing 2 x 10mins minimum sessions each day. One as I wake, one just before sleep. I believe I'm still seeing benefits from the sessions although my scores and general coherence aren't improve as much as at first.

Yesterday I had a really stressful day at work with fans and shit coming together, which is really unusual, as my working life isn't normally too stressful. I was still smiling and joking for large parts of a long day, still trained well, worked well, ate well and slept well. Pretty good day if you take away the uncontrollable part, which was 8am – 8pm. Even food was good. BPC saw me through until 4:30pm when I got a chance to eat finally (all bulletproof  stuff of course)

I feel I've found more balance in my life ;-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Baba YagaBaba Yaga
    edited August 2013
    My heartrate goes up just imaging what you might consider a stressful day at work, Katolotus. Staying balanced in that type of high emotional/physical stress, thats the stuff that not only changes you but touches the people around you. Nice review.
  • @alan, app/software wise, what would be the difference (excluding multi user) between the emwave and emwave2 software ?

What "heavier" functionality does emwave software has that emwave2 DOES NOT have ?

Leaning towards getting emwave2 becasue I can use it standalone while I'm doing my Tai Chi forms then I can analyze how coherent I am during my practice and eventually tweak my moving meditation.

• I've stalled a little in my progress. Getting the odd 5.0 lately for a 10+ min session with around 500-600 pts which I suppose is actually a slight increase, so maybe I've stalled in my mind a bit more than on paper. Resting a lot more during the day after my surgery, so maybe that's helping.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I just listened to a talk by Dr. Deborah Rozman, (CEO of HeartMath) she says that later this year the Inner Balance, EmWave2 & Desktop will all be synchronized together so you can store your data on the cloud.  Will be nice not to lose my IB data when I upgrade my phone. 

• anybody knows if I can get the power spectrum info on emwave2, offline portable or real-time or both, using emwave desktop ? and if I can how ?

• OceanRayOceanRay
    edited October 2013

My earpeice broke after 2 months ...

They have excellent customer service. 

• See that the inner balance iPhone app has recently been updated. Nothing major that changes who each session runs, but some nice stuff for the data.

Version 2.0 (21 Nov 13)

• HeartCloud integration and synchronisation 

• Awards

• Minor UI improvements and bug fixed

Version 2.1 (24 Nov 13)

• Fixed a rare bug preventing users from logging in to HeartCloud after updating

• New Lightning® sensor graphic

• Other minor bug fixes

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Looking at ordering this soon. Been doing my training on my old phone for a while and want to go back to using my current iPhone with lighting. Had a few issues with the old 5pin to light adapters, plus it's a pain in the arse! Good to have a spare too for something you use twice-a-day, everyday. Anyone got one?

ib-catbanner.png

http://www.heartmathstore.com/item/6415/inner-balance-lightning

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred
    edited March 2014

I was thinking the same thing. I have an iPhone 5s so I need the lightning, but I ended up ordering the emwave2 for about $50 more.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I bought several adapters before I found one that worked.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APPLE-Lightning-Adapter-Power-adapters/dp/B00ABJOH2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&

The cheap adapters just carry power and not data.  Even so, I am thinking about getting the lightning version of the emWave.  I lent my inner balance sensor to a student of mine who was having terrible performance anxiety.  I am not sure if I will ever get it back.

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

think it's more a issue with my phones ability with adaptors than the actual adaptor.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Just bought one! I guess a review to follow!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

InnerBalance_Apr14_1_zps104fe4b4.jpg InnerBalance_Apr14_2_zps6ea17d36.jpg

Cable arrived, had a quick go on my iPhone. Works as the other, but not connector, plus it's white. Review to end all reviews!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Has anyone used ithlete HRV App and Chest Strap?

Price wise, it seems very reasonable.

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

Just had Vice President of Heartmath on my show here talking about Inner Balance, achieving coherence etc. Enjoy!

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• Look forward to this Evan - great stuff!

Just had Vice President of Heartmath on my show here talking about Inner Balance, achieving coherence etc. Enjoy!

• Maybe a tricky topic here. But has anyone experience with the app Breath Sync? It measures the heartbeat rythm and I think the same way as the emwave and inner balance does? In the way measuring heartbeat. This app does it with your finger on the lens of the Iphone. I am curious if people are open for it or this is only ambassadors for Heartmath :)

• Just had Vice President of Heartmath on my show here talking about Inner Balance, achieving coherence etc. Enjoy!

just listened, evan.  truly, that was epic.  well done.  thank you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file