Made The Bulletproof Ice Cream For The First Time

I've been having issues getting the right consistency when making it.  I followed Dave's recipe to a T except for the xylotol, I used maple syrup instead.  When putting it in the ice cream maker (yes I made sure the freezer bowl was frozen), I had it churn for 25 min and it's still coming all all liquidy.  I shoved the bowl into the freezer and the sides of the bowl is freezing up properly but the rest is still liquid, like a milkshake.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  thx

Comments

• I think it's a bit silly when you say "I'm not using the official recipe, but please me what am I doing wrong?".

If you really don't want to use Xylitol, try using raw honey instead and see if that makes any difference.

• Your using maple syrup, instead of xylitol, is probably the reason as to why the ice cream turned out the way it did. Since stevia is available virtually everywhere and is fairly cheap, you can use that, assuming you can't get your hands on xylitol. 

• i made the ice cream yesterday for the first time and followed the recipe other than not using an ice cream maker. after six hours in the freezer it had the consistency you described, but a few hours later it was fine. i actually made a second batch today and added more water which seemed to work well.

to salvage this batch, leave it in the freezer for a bit longer. in addition to the suggestions above, for future adventures in ice cream i'd suggest weighing all of your ingredients.

• I have tried it a few times too and I have only made it exactly as the recipe states. When it comes out of the ice cream maker the consistency is like a milkshake. If you want it firmer like ice cream you will need to put it in a container in the freezer for a few hours.

This Ice cream is very good, but very rich you do not need a whole lot of it.
  • I make it all time and it comes out good. I use same sweeteners that's Dave's uses. My only thing is that I can't eat ice cream same day. I make mixture and pour into I e cream maker. Let it churn for 30 mins. I take out moving parts and ice cream still liquid. I cover container and put in freezer over night. Sometimes I use coconut milk instead of water or ice.
  • Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

i made the ice cream yesterday for the first time and followed the recipe other than not using an ice cream maker. after six hours in the freezer it had the consistency you described, but a few hours later it was fine. i actually made a second batch today and added more water which seemed to work well.

to salvage this batch, leave it in the freezer for a bit longer. in addition to the suggestions above, for future adventures in ice cream i'd suggest weighing all of your ingredients.

How did you make it without the ice cream maker?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• How did you make it without the ice cream maker?

i transferred the mixture to a bowl that had been in the freezer, and took it out every hour or so to stir. it's much faster if you use multiple bowls.
  • i transferred the mixture to a bowl that had been in the freezer, and took it out every hour or so to stir. it's much faster if you use multiple bowls.

I don't have an ice cream maker so this would be good - how many hours did you do the stirring for?

• I don't have an ice cream maker so this would be good - how many hours did you do the stirring for?

three seemed to be enough!
  • I make it all time and it comes out good. I use same sweeteners that's Dave's uses. My only thing is that I can't eat ice cream same day. I make mixture and pour into I e cream maker. Let it churn for 30 mins. I take out moving parts and ice cream still liquid. I cover container and put in freezer over night. Sometimes I use coconut milk instead of water or ice.

While it is not solid when I make it (it needs to go in the freezer for a few hours for that) it is always able to be eaten right away. The consistinecy is more like soft serve ice cream or a milkshake. If yours is to runny to eat at all then you are probably adding to much liquid (water/ice/coconut milk) try reducing to no more than 1/4 cup and see if your results are better.
  • I made my first attempt at making Get Some Ice Cream the other day. I didn't have the sweeteners mentioned here so I just used liquid stevia (sort of a random amount). It seemed liquidy enough already so I didn't add any water. I also didn't have an ice cream maker so I tried the method mentioned above...freezing bowls and stirring/switching bowls every 15 min. or so. 

The result: hard as a rock in the freezer. after I thaw it out its a little milk shake-y, but DAMN delicious. i'm wondering if it an ice cream maker would result in better consistency? i do have a groupon to sharper image that i need to use and they have ice cream makers....hmmm...

i'm super excited to experiment with other flavors too. i'm a huge fan of ginger...i bet some ginger juice and/or ginger powder and cinnamon would put this stuff over the top as far as delicious ice cream goes. with chunks of dark chocolate..hmmm... this could get interesting. 

• I've been having issues getting the right consistency when making it.  I followed Dave's recipe to a T except for the xylotol, I used maple syrup instead.  When putting it in the ice cream maker (yes I made sure the freezer bowl was frozen), I had it churn for 25 min and it's still coming all all liquidy.  I shoved the bowl into the freezer and the sides of the bowl is freezing up properly but the rest is still liquid, like a milkshake.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  thx

Clammy! Don't listen to most of the responses here. (Sorry, guys) I make the BP ice cream all the time exactly like you attempted - using maple syrup instead of Xylitol. It comes out creamy and delicious.  Fyi, I chose maple syrup instead of other natural options like honey because Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint guy/Mark's Daily Apple website) has an ice cream recipe in one of his amazing primal cookbooks that uses Maple Syrup.

Most likely issue: Too many of your ingredients were at room temperature before you put your mixture in the bowl.

Maybe you also did this: Did you add more than a 1/2 cup of liquid, as Dave's recipe says? It's okay to go higher, but not much.

Or maybe this: You said the freezer bowl was frozen... Did you shake it? If you hear any fluid sounds then it's not frozen enough regardless of how many hours it's been in there, and you need to adjust the temperature of your freezer. ALSO, don't let the freezer bowl sit on the counter wasting it's chill while you take a phone call or whatever, once you take it out of the freezer, put it on your machine and get rolling. My ice cream machine directions stress that, anyway.

Suggestion: After you blend all your ingredients in the blender, put your blender container in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Maybe go longer if you are using room temperature eggs and butter. Then, when it's cool, you will see the mixture has separated a bit, so give it a zap in the blender again before pouring it into your ice cream maker. This REALLY helps the ice cream maker do it's job. You've already done part of the work for it.

I hope you try again and I hope you get some amazing ice cream!

Dave Asprey Mod susie • 4 months ago

Please don’t ruin the recipe by using agave, which is essentially the same as high fructose corn syrup. Use Stevia or xylitol, or if you must, raw honey.

Dave Asprey Mod susie • 4 months ago

Please don’t ruin the recipe by using agave, which is essentially the same as high fructose corn syrup. Use Stevia or xylitol, or if you must, raw honey.

Okay, I am curious to try it with honey.  Honey is in the green sone while maple syrup is in the yellow, so it's worth the experimentation.  I'll let you know how it tastes : )