''hunger''

Hello everyone!

I experienced some ''hunger'' during my BP diet. Well I cant describe it as a real hunger, I just get an unpleasant feeling that I should eat something. Well when I eat, I mostly consume butter, some sour cream and sometimes also some raw cheese. I also get a bit bloated after such thing. Could it be a lactose intolerance? Does anyone know what it could be? I mean, I consume far more calories on a PB diet, that I would consume on a fewer fat/higher protein diet. I am currently doing it for a day, so I really cant give you much information about my weight gain etc.

Comments

• 1) give it time -- your body could take a few days or a few weeks to adapt to the changes on a hormonal and enzymatic level

2) experiment -- cut out the sour cream and the cheese (both have lactose and mycotoxins) and see how you feel

3) relax -- stress and guessing "am I doing it right?" can hurt your progress; concentrate on celebrating the positive changes you are making and do your best to follow the protocols

In the end, our bodies are not machines; we can observe what works for others, learn the averages and standard rules, and get pointers to try out, but we'll ultimately have to continue to experiment on our unique bio-chemistry and stored-history. Try to make a game out of it...enjoy the journey...etc.

BTW - spending all day thinking about your diet can result in phantom hunger; if you're busy, and you're getting approx. the right macro-nutrient amounts, you'll probably not notice the feelings as much. Distract yourself with other things you enjoy doing. Drink a glass of water. Maybe the hungry or odd-feeling goes away...
  • Tarajev - I completely agree with everything Dan said, but would add a journal to the mix. What? When? Where? How? Try to really examine your hunger. For me, it was simply overdieting, the misguided feeling of needing to feel hungry to "diet." Also, there is hunger from feeling psychologically deprived of certain foods. I'd advise getting to know what the hunger is now that you have switched to a much better style of eating. Get in plenty of butter and coco oil. You should be fine in a few days.

Good luck.
  • [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you both a lot image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> So I can eat quite a lot of butter and MCTs? And how much protein do you think a person should consume on a daily basis, if I am[/font][font="Tahoma, Georgia, Arial, century gothic, verdana, sans-serif"] following the PHAT program? Can you actually overdose on proteins? Sorry for all that bunch of sudden questions image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />[/font]
  • Let your taste be you guide. Doubtful that you can overeat protein. Slow down and eat BP foods til you've had enough, then stop. Protein is needed if you train hard at around 0.8g/lb lean muscle. More is superfluous, but who cares? Eat high protein foods, then stop. Hope this helps. What is the PHAT program?

~ Eric
  • I agree that it's probably hard to overeat protein if you aren't dredging it in fat/sugar. But it is still very possible to overeat in general...so I think you would want to look at your overall calorie trends and how you are doing with pushing back from the table when you reach satiety. It also depends on your goals and how out of whack your system is; hormones, etc.

As Dave said, the BP diet can cause you to lose OR gain weight, depending on where your body is with health/balance. If you are one of those who is stuffed, but starved for nutrients, it's very possible you could gain weight as your body craves all the fats and nutrients its been missing on the standard-american-diet. Over time though, your systems should repair and self-regulate you down to a healthy, fit, strong place if you stick with it. That is probably the safest, easiest long-term strategy.

But if you want to get lean in the near term and want to speed up your recovery/reorientation hormonally, then you're probably better off getting some one-on-one coaching/testing to figure out a way to hack your systems to optimal in the least amount of time. Those hacks may include messing with macro-nutrient ratios, overall intake, exercise, supplementation, etc. You could self-experiment of course, but you may benefit from the observational experience of those in the know...

I'm thinking more and more that I need to go in that direction to keep me from bouncing between theories about why I'm not seeing the results I want.
  • FWIW - my Dad is roughly 100 lbs overweight and has been doing the "Dukan Diet" since February. He's down 27 lbs so far by sticking to the protein day, alternated with protein/veg day...essentially a very-low-carb, high-protein, low-fat diet. So, in a sense, it's working for him...but it's far from a bulletproof plan that would produce the best overall health; he's eating way too high in Omega-6, getting too little good fat, eating questionable meat, not paying attention to mycotoxins, not doing anything to regulate grehlin, etc. Will he lose all the weight he needs/wants to? Maybe. Is it the optimal plan for his overall long-term health? Probably not. I'm still proud of him though for sticking with it and getting to a better place than he was in...
  • dpwdan thanks for the answers, I really appreciate it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Congrats to your dad too image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />