Supplements For Children

So I am curious as to your supplement regime for your children...of various ages. And what kinds have been successful/not successful.

My daughter is 3 1/2 and a peanut at 28lbs, living in Canada vitamin D chances throughout the year for her...currently

am:

vitamin D 800 iu every other day 

Waiting on krill oil (Dr. mercola's kids...before that, generic costco omega 3 gummies, gross-she hated them) 

All day, I salt her water to get trace minerals

pm

Natural calm magnesium (adult version...hated the sour taste of the kids)

Few days a week she gets a green smoothie with chlorella in it (esp on sushi days)

I do want to expand her supplements...but don't know what she needs. 

Her diet is almost totally GF/DF with lots of butter, mct and grass fed meat. She loves veggies and coconut milk. Occasionally if she isn't eating I will throw BP whey into her smoothie and she loves it. She has had a hard time giving up pancakes, oatmeal, yogurt...stuff she ate until she was almost 3, so we have a few GF/DF alternatives for those mornings or evenings when nothing else will do.

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

Comments

• You are an awesome parent

Vitamin D is very important, especially living in Calgary. In Edmonton, the synthesis of previtamin D3 in people basically ceases in mid-october and doesnt resume unitl mid-april. Which is crazy, because Vitamin D is involved in so many processes - autoimmune diseases, blood phosphate levels, mobilization of calcium, cancer, depression, insulin secretion, fibromyalgia. 800 IU is a good dose.

• edited June 2013

You are an awesome parent

Vitamin D is very important, especially living in Calgary. In Edmonton, the synthesis of previtamin D3 in people basically ceases in mid-october and doesnt resume unitl mid-april. Which is crazy, because Vitamin D is involved in so many processes - autoimmune diseases, blood phosphate levels, mobilization of calcium, cancer, depression, insulin secretion, fibromyalgia. 800 IU is a good dose.

Thanks! We try! Its funny, we just came back from seattle and we brought her back some salted kerrygold and she calls it her grass fed meat butter! and she doesn't share! But she still loves her treats! almost 3 years is a long time to get used to eating a certain way (with no help from grandparents who don't understand). At least her doc actually recommended when she was 1 that she go GF/DF...that has made life easier...but I got way to good at baking GF!

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

•  Thanks! We try! Its funny, we just came back from seattle and we brought her back some salted kerrygold and she calls it her grass fed meat butter! and she doesn't share! But she still loves her treats! almost 3 years is a long time to get used to eating a certain way (with no help from grandparents who don't understand). At least her doc actually recommended when she was 1 that she go GF/DF...that has made life easier...but I got way to good at baking GF!

Thanks for sharing, I have been looking around for BP diet meals and such that would work for my son. Can you give any futher details on what you tend to make for your kid? 

(Been around this forum a while but never joined, but seeing this post put me over the edge and I realize I have to take part of this community) 

• Here's what we're currently doing for my 3 year old that is gluten, dairy, and egg sensitive/intolerant:

• 1 chewable B-complex daily (may drop this down later, but he and I are both recovering our systems) KAL Chewable (don't know if thats the best - had to grab it in a hurry at the store)
    • 1 Integrative Therapeutics D3 2000iu chocolate chewable (his blood work showed D insufficiency, so this high of dose may or may not be appropriate for others)
    • 3/8 tsp NOW Magnesium Ascorbate (gives him 90mg magnesium and about 1g vitamin C) (we were previously using KAL chewable calcium ascorbate)
    • HMF Super Powder probiotic (Genestra)
  • I buy this for my 1 yr old grandson, it is the best multi I have found for a young child so far. http://m.iherb.com/Nature-s-Plus-Source-of-Life-Animal-Parade-Gold-Liquid-Natural-Tropical-Berry-Flavor-30-fl-oz-887-10-ml/33298
  • Anyone have thoughts about nordic naturals omega 3 for kids?
  • I have a 20month old, anyone started giving k2 supplements? brand? 

• has anyone heard it anything can benefit autistic syptoms in 16 month old?

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@coatesk said:
    has anyone heard it anything can benefit autistic syptoms in 16 month old?

just saw this the other day, worth a read, with a possible view to supplement with Vitamin D3...
    http://qbi.uq.edu.au/news/qbi-confirms-vitamin-d-link-autism-traits
    'vitamin D deficiency link to autism traits'
    & this is the study (published 29th November 2016)...
    http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/mp2016213a.html
    "Gestational vitamin D deficiency and autism-related traits: the Generation R Study"

fake it till you make it

• This book might be helpful:

Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies. By Kenneth Bock, M.D. and Cameron Stauth

They list supplements and diet plans.

Hope it helps.

• halukhaluk
    edited March 19

I give my children Vitamin D, Krill Oil (omega-3), Calcium, Magnesium, small amount of Zinc, Propolis, Spirulina (ok I try the spirulina, but they don't like it)