Bulletproof Hollandaise Sauce

StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
edited September 2013 in Recipes

I've been making this for years and it just dawned on me that it's probably Bulletproof depending on the heating of the egg yolks. Hollandaise is a "mother sauce" on which many many other sauces are based, so get this one down and you can go hunting for further variations!

It's damn delicious, enjoy!

Ingredients:

- 3 egg yolks, at room temperature

- 2 tablespoons water

- 125g - 175g unsalted butter, cut into 1.5cm cubes, at room temperature

- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

- Good quality salt

- More water for boiling

Equipment:

- Double boiler or a pot of water with another heatproof bowl suspended over it.

- Wire balloon whisk (manual or electric)

Method:

1. Set the water in the pot to boil. Once it has boiled, turn the heat way down so the simmering water is barely moving.

2. Separate the egg yolks from the whites and discard (or save them for something else)

3. Place the yolks and 2 tablespoons of water in the bowl.

4. Whisk the yolks and water together for 3 minutes to get air into the mix. It should end up being thick and increased in volume.

5. Start adding the butter one cube at a time. Whisk the cube in before adding the next one.

6. Place bowl over the pot. The bowl should fit snugly into the pan without touching the water (lift the bowl to check and remove some water if it does). Depending how much trouble it is to whisk the butter you can do this earlier to help.

7. Whisk the mix until it is thick and consistent, and warm (not hot).

8. Make sure to stir it constantly.

8. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and salt.

9. Whisk a bit more and you should be finished.

Tips:

- Cut the butter while its semi-frozen, it will be easier.

- Try not to have the yolks over the heat for too long to minimise oxidation.

Serve it with some steamed asparagus or spinach, smoked salmon and poached eggs for a nice near Eggs Benedict style dish.

Tagged:

Comments

• karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"
    Thanks...I will be making this tonight! I just got a dozen local duck eggs and the yolks are huge, and I was wondering what I could use them for...love hollandaise, but rarely make it.
  • It's basically butter and egg yolks, can't get much more bulletproof than that. Not to mention delicious. I have made a simpler version of a blender hollandaise sauce (which is posted somewhere on the forum) by blending egg yolks, lemon juice and salt in a blender until creamy and then slowly pouring in melted butter while still blending so it emulsifiers. But your recipe here looks even better. I will have to try it sometime soon. Thanks for posting!
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Hope you like it, let us know how it goes!

I had a load of egg yolks left yesterday so I made this again, doubling everything. I've kept it in the fridge and used it again this morning. Its still delicious!

It goes very thick but you give it a good stir and dollop it onto your eggs. They'll warm it up and its as good as fresh.

The lemon juice will help preserve it for a little while, I guess.

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Add it to asparagus and it is to die for!

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

Update:

I get my butter in 250g blocks. I made this recipe the other day, doubled, and just used one of the 250g blocks. It still came out pretty well, so I've updated the above to be 125g instead of 175g.

Just made another batch and had to use salted butter instead of unsalted. It came out even better! That's good to know if there's another unsalted shortage as there seems to be at my local store :eek: