Comments

• karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"
    Article is mis-titled and Honoré de Balzac was hardcore.
  • If you have not read The War of Art, you need to.  The media portrays creative artists like they are these whimsical, scatterbrained, savants (the movie Amadeus comes to mind.)  For me, the creative process involves a lot of focus, attention, and willpower.  Rather than ascribing to the tangential subconscious associations to be creative, I follow Alexander Scriabin's ideology: "To create is to limit."  I like to start with the big picture and then refine.  This creates a unified, cohesive work rather than randomized nonsense.  For people to understand your art, they must be able to think in the same pattern that you did when you created it.  Why alienate them?  In my experience, caffeine (specifically Bulletproof coffee) is great for creativity.

• Just throwing the article up to start a debate...

• edited June 2013

I think this could make sense. I think true creativity is a right brain thing, that's where the magic comes from, BUT you still need the left brain to organise it all. Part of creating as a whole might be to limit, but first you need to make the new connections and widen your net/scope of possibility. In creating there are two parts, the pulling of ideas, then the editing/refining. When it comes to writing you do them separately. Free write (on a topic) to keep the creative channel open, then edit later with your analytical mind. So I think "to edit is to limit" is probably more apt, but still necessary. The whole creative process unifies and uses both sides. I've seen many homeless artists who I assume couldn't use their left brains as much as they needed to. 

I'm going to order some bp decaf and see how that goes.

One of my favorite books is Creativity by Osho.

There's also this graphic of how different chemicals affect spider web creation:

300px-CaffeinatedSpider.jpg

For some reason it omits LSD which actually made their webs better.
    http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm