Going To Try Liver Again Tomorrow... Ekk!

Well my 1st liver experience was pretty bad. Now, I'm going to try and soak it before I cook it up. Anyone figure out how to make liver tasty?
Tagged:

Comments

• Well my 1st liver experience was pretty bad. Now, I'm going to try and soak it before I cook it up. Anyone figure out how to make liver tasty?

==========

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...but I remember Dave saying in multiple podcasts that he hates liver so much that he's finally just given in and started taking desiccated liver supplements. I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he takes this Radiant Life supplement. Sorry, my notes are down in my car and I'm too busy to go grab them right now so I'm not 100% sure. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn.radiantlifecatalog.com/images/uploads/Dessicated-Liver-2W.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/product/radiant-life-desiccated-liver/superfoods-supplements&usg=__uSPa0QnAjAXPp0QFtLqg4lqZIws=&h=250&w=250&sz=25&hl=en&start=3&sig2=cu-y6sT_g4a8NJTkEWRCxQ&zoom=1&tbnid=mRuJhWsso5LZIM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&ei=0D_BUeDOMIrWigLzq4AY&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddesiccated%2Bliver%26um%3D1%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hl%3Den%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CDIQrQMwAg

Check out my new site on Revolutionary Cognitive Enhancement! http://www.lostfalco.com/

• 1:1:1:1

Liver:leek:bacon:sweet potato

Small pieces 1cm with butter ;)
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Freez,chop up into tiny pieces and swallow like  pill!

• Freez,chop up into tiny pieces and swallow like  pill!

Yes!  I do this as well.  No taste, about half oz. per day

• edited June 2013

Interesting that people seem to find it so hard to eat. I havent eaten it in a long while but I had lots of it whilst growing up and remember it was pretty tasty. We used to fry it slighty stovetop and pour some salt on it. Yummy. Can still remember the taste :) I wouldnt want to eat it raw though. Can imagine it would be difficult to get past your tongue. I can imagine adding butter (as suggested by Pierre) as well as salt would make it a lot easier to eat. Cooked in water on low heat with salt and butter added afterwards. Gonna try some as soon as i get my hands on some good liver.

• maaxgrreenmaaxgrreen keeping it hella ancestral

Freez,chop up into tiny pieces and swallow like  pill!

Definitely the way to go if you can't stomach it. I've mixed different ratios in with other foods before having soaked it and drained it, etc. and I was still unable to deal with the taste, for some reason it just overpowers everything for me. Freezing it in vitamin sized pieces and slamming it with water works, no taste and it's quick and raw too. 

• I found that baking liver really helped with the taste. I'm going to try cooking it with bacon next. If that doesn't work, I'm going for the frozen chopped liver. Thanks guys.
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I'll invent a new term: "Net BP"

It means, if the positives, minus the negatives, leaves a positive, then it's Net BP.

So, the question is: is Haggis Net BP? It has a lot of liver and other organ meats, plus spices and the not-so-BP ingredient, oats. If you can make a nice haggis dish that is palatable and enables you to consume a great amount of liver etc but you have to eat some not BP ingredients to get it, is that BP?

Before I discovered BPE, I used to get a liver-only haggis from the butcher, it was delicious! It was meant to serve 10 people but me and the wife ate the lot.

• I had a go tonight making liver again and I think it has been the most sucsessful attempt to date. I shall post in case anyone is interested

ingredients

500g lamb liver

250g pork belly

1kg beef mince

2 heads of brocolli

2 leeks

oregano - 2 tblspoon

tumeric - 2 tsp

salt - around 5 pinches 

1. gently simmer lamb liver for around 5 mins (5 mins is not for a particular reason, it is just what i did). take out of water and chop into TINY TINY peices. 

2. chop up leeks and brocolli and cook in pot with a little water - around 7 mins. 

3, add mince meat and sliced pork belly

4. add liver

5. wait until desired level of cookedness is achieved 

done

• I've always been a fan of liver and onions, but lately I've started using an even simpler approach.  I place a pound of sliced liver in a pan with nothing else, cover and cook on low for about 8 minutes.  Then flip the liver and repeat for another 8 minutes.  The temp and timing are important in getting it cooked properly.  Under-cooked and it is too soft and revolting.  Over-cooked changes the flavor and also likely damages some of the nutrients. There is a sweet spot where it is just right.  I remove from the pan, let it cool, put it in a ziplock and refrigerate.  Then every day I cut a small piece (about 2 in x 2 in), spread a thick glob of butter on it, then add a dollop of spicy mustard. I find it absolutely delicious and look forward to my liver treat each day. 

• My mother in law makes it with onions (you can use leek to make it BP), garlic, salt and a squeeze of lime. I never got adapted to the taste but it does mask the taste to some extent. I am now starting to chop it up and freeze and just swallow with water :)
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Any choices for what tastes better? Veal or lamb liver?

• edited August 2013

Well my 1st liver experience was pretty bad. Now, I'm going to try and soak it before I cook it up. Anyone figure out how to make liver tasty?

My guess is that the best way to learn to like liver is to go hungry for about three days first.  Organ meats , ever notice,

tend to be more popular in places where there is not a hell of a lot of food around.

After three days fasting, and I mean little more than water and some survival juice, maybe, your body is

going to crave the nutrients in that liver.  It's going to taste pretty damn good by the time you get to eat

something.

Three days without food prior every time you eat liver , you can train your palette to appreciate the shi*.  That's just

my intuitive guess , which I know intuitively is smack on the mark.

• edited August 2013

Interesting that people seem to find it so hard to eat. I havent eaten it in a long while but I had lots of it whilst growing up and remember it was pretty tasty.

My theory on food preferences is that the taste of food depends a lot upon your biological requirements at the time that you first teat it.  For most people, food preferences tend to be  limited to the foods which we were exposed to as children.

My theory is that young children grow fast physically and burn an incredible amount of energy in learning to adapt to planet earth in their first years of life. While growing and learning at such an incredible rate, young children  have such huge biological demands as a result, that they are in an almost constant state of what feels like starvation.

Therefore everything they eat in those early years tastes as good as if they had not eaten anything at all for three days, because their developing bodies crave every calorie and nutrient they can provide it. So if they are exposed to things like liver and organ meats in those early years, accompanied by the other pleasurable flavors and emotions associated with dinner time, their palates adopt those tastes as likable and appealing. Its all that they know. Its almost programmed into their subconscious to associate those tastes with satiation , safety, and pleasure.

For those of us who were not exposed to organ meats and other 'delicacies' in our early years (say from 2 to 6 years old) it is harder for us to like them.  Liver is a tough one to swallow for so many people. You have to wonder if its the quality of the

liver that most of us were exposed which put us off of it or what.

My guess is that its possible to train oneself to enjoy liver if it is high quality and properly prepared and if one is hungry enough to appreciate it. Also don't overdo  the amount of it eaten at one sitting. A small portion of it seems more appropriate than trying to eat an entire slab of it.