Any Ladies Get Their Fertility Back Doing Bp?

I've been doing the BP thing for about a month now. Before that I was Primal for a bout 2 years. My son is almost 3 now and my husband and I have been trying to have another baby. The only problem is that I haven't been able to ovulate on my own since I got pregnant about 3 1/2 years ago. My hormones including my thyroid look good, my weight is good (137 lbs at 5' 6"). I wasn't afraid of fat before, but I'm sure I have been eating a lot more of it since switching to BP. BP coffee, raw egg yolks, grass-fed butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, grass-fed beef, avocados. Has anyone switched to the BP diet and gotten their fertiltiy back? If so, how long did it take?? I sleep great, 8ish hours every night in a dark room. Does anyone have any recomendations on exercising?? I've cut back a lot, I'll only do HIIT's or weights 3 times a week for no more then 30 minutes. Is this still too much?? I feel and look great (not thin or malnourished at all!), I just don't understand why I'm not ovulating or getting my period on my own. My doctor is pretty shocked by this as well.

Also, Cold Thermogenisis-good or bad for fertility??

Help!

Thanks

Comments

• Umm, yikes....I've been BP for about 6 weeks now and I ovulated on my own this week for the first time in YEARS. Holy crap this works!

Thanks Dave and Lana!!
  • although fertility is definitely not on *my* list as far as reasons to eat BP go, good to hear it works for you! hope you get the desired results image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />)
  • Thank you! I will definitely post any good news....For the moment I'm so excited to be back on track with my health. I really do FEEL a lot better. Not that I felt terrible before, I just feel more....vibrant. A baby bump would be such a welcome bonus. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I hope this post has been helpful for any other women who can relate-the BP diet is totally legit.
  • edited June 2012
    Yay congrats for ovulating!!

I have not had kids yet, but I have noticed that since I started bp/primal/paleo type eating, my cycles are slightly shorter and more regular. I'm pretty sure that all this incredibly nutritious food is an excellent preparation for my future ttc attempts.

Cold Thermogenesis - not sure what effect this would have on hormones, but a bit of cold water/air isn't going to hurt you, so it's worth a try.
  • CaveWeirdo,

Awesome!

Thank you. I've taking cold baths and/or showers almost every day and I love it. Someone else I was talking to brought up a good point: Up until just recently people were taking cooler baths and were exposed to colder temperatures all of the time as a way of life. Our bodies are built to handle a little cold. So suck it up and enjoy the benefits of it! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Good luck to you on your own bp journey!!
  • I can't say I'm fertile, exactly, but I have noticed my cycle responding to the diet. I have an IUD, Merina brand I believe. Most women who have one quit menstruation or just have sporadic spotting after awhile. I was no exception. Then a month after starting BP diet I have full blown TOM. Not complaining. I think it is healthy for women to have their periods.
  • Wow, that's really interesting. Thank you. I totally agree!!
  • How do you know you ovulated? Just wondering!
  • Erica, I have been charting my cycles. It's pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. The hardest part is remembering to take your temperature every morning before you hop out of bed!!

And it worked.....My husband and I are 4 1/2 weeks pregnant!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • CONGRATULATIONS!

A BP baby............ image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Thanks!

Lol, totally. Without a doubt a BP baby.

Thank you, Dave Asprey! A HUGE thank you.
  • This is such great news I am so thrilled for you. I'm 43 and thinking about having another baby, my little girl is 3 now, I'd love for her to have a sibling. I'm positive this diet/lifestyle will make pregnancy a delightful experience.

A BP baby fantastic!
  • Congrats Ashley! That's amazing! (but not surprising, his wife had their second kid at 42 eating this way and her biomarkers during pregnancy were excellent) Dave has co-authored a book with his wife Lana about fertility and eating healthy for your baby . . . it'll be coming out in January 2013. The blog in the meantime is The Better Baby Book.
  • Ashley, I am so pleased to hear of your success! This is exactly what the Bulletproof Diet is designed to do - it actually does things Paleo doesn't because of the careful focus on mycotoxins and other sources of anti-nutrients.

Congratulations for doing it yourself! Totally Bulletproof! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Would you be up for doing a short guest post describing your experience? I'd love to share it with more people. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Well didn't quite get the chance for a sibling for my daughter as I now appear to be starting menopause, my mother did at my age so I guess it's only natural.

This might not be the right place for this post but I also appear to be losing a lot of my hair, it is thinning quite quickly. Does anyone else have these symptoms on BP, is it to do with menopause or my diet. Ive tried to be as bulletproof as possible as I found instant results and lost the excess weight very quickly.

I checked my thyroid function a month or so ago and all was well.

I've found that I'm more irritable and frustrated lately and have a pounding heart at times which can be very uncomfortable, I've read iodine can cause the heart to pound, I take pot iodide twice a day, Himalayan salt in the morning, 2 litres of San pellegrino a day and 200mcg of selenium a day, I don't know if any of this is relevant.

I also take all the other supplements suggested, eat lots of kerrygold, MCT, good meat and veg and BP coffee when I can get it.

The hair thinning is rather worrying any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hi everyone! Thanks for all of the support and well wishes! I am currently holding my one-month-old son in my arms!! I kinda fell off the internet wagon for a bit-got really sick in my first trimester and then just never checked back (a bit distracted with my pregnancy and all that). :)

Dave, I would love and be honored to write a post on my experience. Let me know if you would still like me to write something.

Lisa, I hope since writing your last post that you have figured things out or got some answers to your questions. I know what it's like to be doing everything that I think is right for my health only to hit some major setbacks (some of them more alarming then others), It can be frustrating snd downright scary. My heart goes out to you.

• Hi everyone! Thanks for all of the support and well wishes! I am currently holding my one-month-old son in my arms!!

congratulations! you must be thrilled

• Oh YEESS.:)

• what a great story.

i have nothing to add except a tim ferriss 4-hour body quote:

My general guideline, what I refer to as “Darwin’s Rule,” is simple: eat for optimal fertility and everything else falls into place. Moreover, if you eat for optimal fertility, you will have high-level athletic performance and what most define as optimal health.

Ferriss, Timothy (2010-12-14). The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman (Kindle Locations 9391-9393). Crown Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. 
  • Hi everyone!  All of these BP success stories are encouraging - I am 21 years old and have never gotten a period except when on the pill (I haven't been on the pill for a couple years now, though, as I refuse despite my doctors' advice).  I've been pretty strict BP for about 2 1/2 months now and feel pretty awesome - great energy, great mental clarity, all the rest of it....even higher sex drive/desire, but no change in amenorrhea (lack of menstruation).  I haven't done thorough enough self-tracking, but I think I notice slight energy/mood/metabolic differences in different weeks, so I can assume some kind of monthly cycle, but it's definitely not obvious to me unless I really think about it.

Does anyone have any insight or advice?  I'm trying to increase carb intake slightly and reduce stress in any way I can, and making regular batches of get some ice cream (nom!).  I'm pretty active because I am a dancer, but I am pretty religious about giving my body recovery days after intense training whenever possible.  I do BP IF about 5 mornings/week...would love to hear opinions from fellow ladies about BP fasting!  I also have trouble sleeping/calming down mentally (I'm pretty type A!) - magnesium seems to only help marginally...I am trying to adopt a consistent sleep schedule but it is difficult with my work schedule.  Thanks for any tips!

And thanks for all the inspiration on this forum! Cheers!

• AshleyAshley
    edited August 2013

Hi everyone!  All of these BP success stories are encouraging - I am 21 years old and have never gotten a period except when on the pill (I haven't been on the pill for a couple years now, though, as I refuse despite my doctors' advice).  I've been pretty strict BP for about 2 1/2 months now and feel pretty awesome - great energy, great mental clarity, all the rest of it....even higher sex drive/desire, but no change in amenorrhea (lack of menstruation).  I haven't done thorough enough self-tracking, but I think I notice slight energy/mood/metabolic differences in different weeks, so I can assume some kind of monthly cycle, but it's definitely not obvious to me unless I really think about it.

Does anyone have any insight or advice?  I'm trying to increase carb intake slightly and reduce stress in any way I can, and making regular batches of get some ice cream (nom!).  I'm pretty active because I am a dancer, but I am pretty religious about giving my body recovery days after intense training whenever possible.  I do BP IF about 5 mornings/week...would love to hear opinions from fellow ladies about BP fasting!  I also have trouble sleeping/calming down mentally (I'm pretty type A!) - magnesium seems to only help marginally...I am trying to adopt a consistent sleep schedule but it is difficult with my work schedule.  Thanks for any tips!

And thanks for all the inspiration on this forum! Cheers!

Sounds like you are making some great strides in the right direction.

A couple things:

My period came flying back when I swapped out most of my carbs for healthy fats. I was in nutritional ketosis when I got pregnant. I did focus on getting higher amounts of carbs (mostly from sweet potatoes and white rice) a couple of times a week, usually later in the day or after a workout.

I'm a typae A, too, and I know for a FACT that this played a HUGE role with my own case of amenorrhea. Use whatever means necessary to take a load off-that is crucial.

I hope that helps! Stay BP, my friend. :) So happy you are taking charge of your health and fertility at such a young age. Best of luck!

• RodRod The Rodfather

I've just recently discovered BP, and am currently trying to conceive our first baby - we've been trying for about 7 years. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago, so there are some hormonal issues going on, but from the research I've done, many of those can be alleviated with diet. I just got the MCT oil and collagen in the mail, and I'm starting my new way of eating tomorrow. It's so encouraging to read a success story!!! I'm looking forward to posting a success story of my own! :)

Welcome! 

I hope everything becomes a smooth ride and wish you well on this journey. I would first recommend the better baby book if you haven't got it already. I would start there. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Better-Baby-Book-Healthier/dp/1118137132/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379634449&sr=8-1&keywords=the+better+baby+book

Please let us know how you're doing! 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions Consultwithrod@live.com 

• RodRod The Rodfather

Thanks Rod! I just purchased it on Kindle, but haven't made it all the way through yet. There are so many recommendations that I find myself highlighting on every single page, ha! I'll keep you posted with my progress!

Excellent, happy reading =) 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions Consultwithrod@live.com 

• I can't solely attribute our fertility and fresh pregnancy to the Bulletproof way of living, but it has definitely helped.

we have had a miscarriage about 16 months ago. Since then we have taken many steps to improve our fertility and BF has been part of that way.

My wife is now 40+ and at the moment we have a baby on its way which is 8 weeks old. Just came back from the check up and everything looks great so far :-).

• edited April 2014

Hey guys!

Has anyone experimented with L-arginine/L-ornithine for fertility?  I am still not menstruating, and recently got some L-arg/L-orth, taking 1 per day.  It's been about 2 weeks, and holy cow I am gaining so much weight!  I think I can mostly blame the supplement.  I am a dancer (professionally) and really can't afford the weight gain! But I do want to have normal hormone levels (which would be indicated by normal menstruation...?)  Does anyone have any pointers?

Thanks for all your input!

• Hey guys!

Has anyone experimented with L-arginine/L-ornithine for fertility?  I am still not menstruating, and recently got some L-arg/L-orth, taking 1 per day.  It's been about 2 weeks, and holy cow I am gaining so much weight!  I think I can mostly blame the supplement.  I am a dancer (professionally) and really can't afford the weight gain! But I do want to have normal hormone levels (which would be indicated by normal menstruation...?)  Does anyone have any pointers?

If you don't have any adrenal issues, try a very high quality Maca or Shatavari (or both!) supplement. They can help balance your hormones.

Also, acupuncture is very helpful for this as well.

• Take this with a huge grain of salt, but in the book "Left in the Dark", the author claims that with a healthy diet (for his definition of healthy), you would stop getting your period but not be any less fertile.

This book is either pure genius or pure crazy, but some (not all) of the claims are referenced, and it was definitely an interesting read, even if at times I lifted my head in disbelief.

• if you are doing HIIT 3 times a week on a low carb diet you need to be conscious of thyroid issues / adrenal fatigue, excess cortisol from exercise that intense can crash you and mess with your hormones.. 

good carbs right after your workout is pretty much the only way through this. Recent studies have shown some athletes are consuming up to 150grams of carbs and still (!!), remaining in ketosis.. 

so exercise and thyroid is a big issue.. Lots of handy info right here.. 

http://thethyroidsessions.com/

• Hey guys!

Stimulants for growth hormones maybe? Take a look at this thread:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/9249-nitric-oxide-lobsters-telomeres-and-aging/