Regarding The Icecream Recipe

Hi everyone

I've just experimented with my first batch of "get some"-icecream following the recipe in the "Upgraded Chef"-book. I have a question for those of you who might also have read this book.

In the section "Terms, Tips & Tricks" Dave specifically recommends not to overmix/overblend your egg yolks, because the overmixing will oxidize the fats just like heat will. However, in the "get some"-recipe we blend the yolks together with the other fats, and he mentions (which I found to be absolutely true) that it takes a while for the the mixture to get creamy.

This leads me to two further questions, namely, are the egg yolks fats not destroyed in the process of making "get some"-icecream? Or am I misinterpreting the recipe and if so, might someone be willing to spell out how to do it step by step?

Thanks everyone, stay bulletproof!

Tagged:

Comments

• the butter does take a while to become creamy, but then incorporates into the other ingredients pretty easily. if you're concerned about oxidising the yolks, blend everything else well, then add the eggs and water and pulse until just combined. unless you're blending the mixture for more than a few minutes, though, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

• the butter does take a while to become creamy, but then incorporates into the other ingredients pretty easily. if you're concerned about oxidising the yolks, blend everything else well, then add the eggs and water and pulse until just combined. unless you're blending the mixture for more than a few minutes, though, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I'll try progressing like that the next time around.

• I made an Allergen-Free "ice cream" a few weeks back... Not necessarily sure how BULLET PROOF pea protein is... But it was friggin' good - And far healthier than anything you'd buy in the grocery store! 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I made an Allergen-Free "ice cream" a few weeks back... Not necessarily sure how BULLET PROOF pea protein is... But it was friggin' good - And far healthier than anything you'd buy in the grocery store! 

=====

I have seen that video... truly disgusting, but quite hilarious when you show your friends who weren't expecting it :-D

• I'm scared to click it.

• =====

I have seen that video... truly disgusting, but quite hilarious when you show your friends who weren't expecting it  :grin:

Ah ha ha ha!!! I'm glad it caught your attention ;) 

• edited June 2013

I usually melt the butter by chucking it in the sous vide with the coconut oil (that I keep in the frigde) until they are runny. That helps in minimising the beating time quite a bit. I only have to pulse like 4 or 5 times in my Ninja jug thing with the paddle attachement and it's done.

• made this last night for the first time. followed the recipe exactly, it came out perfect and only took about 30 minutes in the ice cream machine. I'd say the consistency in the blender (Blendtec) was like chocolate pudding.

Added a scoop to my post-workout zero-carb protein shake this morning. it was like a chocolate shake. fantastic

• Can anyone please tell me how long this ice cream will keep for in the freezer? 

• At my house, not more than 3 or 4 days, but since its frozen, I don't see a problem keeping it longer. I do notice the texture changing, getting more solid, the longer it's in the freezer. I've been thinking of adjusting the freezer temperature to see if it makes any difference.

• Can anyone please tell me how long this ice cream will keep for in the freezer? 

I've always eaten it before running into a spoilage issue. A batch usually lasts about a week for me. Ahem. Max. : )

• At my house, not more than 3 or 4 days, but since its frozen, I don't see a problem keeping it longer. I do notice the texture changing, getting more solid, the longer it's in the freezer. I've been thinking of adjusting the freezer temperature to see if it makes any difference.

Some ice cream website suggests storing your home made ice cream in the door of your freezer instead of deep inside.

• Are there any videos of get some ice cream being made?

• Bought an ice cream maker yesterday, and made my first batch of Get Some this morning as desert for a brunch.  Every single person loved it.  I'll have to make a bigger batch next time.  I just went right off Dave's recipe with vanilla for first run.  Amazing flavor, texture, richness.  Thumbs up big time!!!  My Mom and sister are now going to buy an ice cream maker and want the recipe emailed asap.  :D

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • BP Ice Cream lasts beyond a day in your homes? *blinks* How?... .... ?