One Stick Of Butter (100G) A Day, Good Or Bad?

I started the bulletproof diet but since MCT oil is too expensive in my country I prefer using butter as my main source of fat, I take unsalted grass-fed butter which also contains about 10% MCT I think.

I'm currently also losing weight so I try to limit my calorie intake to 1500kcal so I probably take between 50-60% of fat in my diet.

Since I've started this diet I feel great, I do not need as much sleep as I needed before, I litterally jump out from the bed, my skin is healing and getting much more beautiful, I always feel good, motivated and in good mood, I think my brain is also working better than it was.

In general this diet is awesome and very effective.

However I'm concerned with it's effects on health long-term, nearly 100g butter a day (including butter used for cooking) that makes 3kg or 6 pounds a month which is quite enormous!

I also take various supplements such as :

1000 IU vitamin E

7500mg fish oil (EPA 1000mg DHA 800mg)

5000mg vitamin C as sodium ascorbate

Sometimes NAC 900mg

Magnesium 500mg elemental as magnesium citrate

I think these supplements pretty much protect me from cardiovascular risk but I'm quite afraid that they're hiding the risks of eating so much butter.

Tagged:

Comments

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

100g a day isn't that much. I normally do a minimum of 60g everyday of just butter. Some days I'll hit 150-200g.

What's more important is you keep the rest of your food clean. That's where the problems start with high fat diets.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• If you can't get MCT where you live then look for Virgin coconut oil it would be the next best choice.
  • Butter isn't bad for you. There is no research to prove that it is bad for you.

• I wouldn't limit your calories. Eat as much as you want of the right foods and you will still lose weight. Starving yourself isn't a good idea and its definitely not bulletproof. Also I think you might be taking too much fish oil. I know fish oil is very good for you but I'm pretty sure too much can be just as bad as too little. Not sure how to check how much you need to take though. Maybe someone else can answer that. Also like Eveland said. I'd recommend adding some extra virgin coconut oil to your diet. It's not as good as mct but its better than only butter IMO.
  • edited June 2013

100g a day isn't that much. I normally do a minimum of 60g everyday of just butter. Some days I'll hit 150-200g.

What's more important is you keep the rest of your food clean. That's where the problems start with high fat diets.

I put all the junk food away, I eat fruits, some healthy carbs such as whole pasta, rice, etc... all kinds of meats as well... and low glycemic food...Transfats, MSG, GMO, soy, etc... away from my diet of course.

Why would unhealthy food be a problem with high fat diets specifically?

How much time have you been eating so much butter? I wouldn't mind adding 10-30g more of butter, it's really some good stuff for the brain.

If you can't get MCT where you live then look for Virgin coconut oil it would be the next best choice.

Well that's not the problem I can buy Now foods MCT oil but I already spend so much on supplements so I don't plan on taking this regularly, if I had to buy something from Dave's it would be Brain octane but prolly for important things.

Butter isn't bad for you. There is no research to prove that it is bad for you.

Sure but is there any saying it's good for you? I'm interested with this kind of research.

I wouldn't limit your calories. Eat as much as you want of the right foods and you will still lose weight. Starving yourself isn't a good idea and its definitely not bulletproof. Also I think you might be taking too much fish oil. I know fish oil is very good for you but I'm pretty sure too much can be just as bad as too little. Not sure how to check how much you need to take though. Maybe someone else can answer that. Also like Eveland said. I'd recommend adding some extra virgin coconut oil to your diet. It's not as good as mct but its better than only butter IMO.

Well I'm trying to limit my carbs to 100-150g a day at most, I don't want to eat more carbs. I'm quite scared to actually gain weight, my lifestyle is sedentary, just some walking but no exercise.

And my thyroid might be on the low side (not sure about that but I think so).

As for fish oil I take it for its anti-inflammatory action plus it's good to have it when you happen to take a lot of omega 6, I try to limit my omega 6 intake but when I eat peanuts or cashews I have to compensate this.

7.5g of fish oil is not excessive, you can easily get that if you eat 350 grams of sardines for example. Also I read people here scared about their extreme levels of triglycerides and LDL and fish oil is a good thing to fight this.

For coconut oil, yeah I already tried that but that's an expensive product, MCT oil is much more cost effective I think, I'm not even sure coconut oil really has +50% of MCT, I never felt anything special from it.