What To Eat With Bp Coffee + Mct + Grass-Fed Butter In The Morning?

edited June 2013 in Bulletproof Coffee

Hi,

I was just wondering if there is something "solid" to eat during breakfest when taking the BP coffee. 

I love MCT but it seems to give stomach pains during the morning (happens only when stomach is empty/hungry). Even if it is just a small teaspoon, I can't seem to tolerate it in an empty stomach. 

I can feel it does wonders on the brain while at the same time feeling a wreck in the stomach. 

I take 1 bagel (nothing on it) to "balance it out". I know many are against gluten but it seems to make the brain feel great while the stomach feels "normal". 

Are there any alternative things to eat that is:

A) Really easy to prepare in the morning

B ) Doesn't take too much time 

C) That is approved by Bulletproof?

Thanks. B)

Comments

• You can eat bacon, eggs, grass-fed beef, etc. There are a bunch of foods from which to choose. All you have to do is look at the infograph.

• I'm guessing eating any of it would prevent me from intermitting fasting?

• Hi,

I was just wondering if there is something "solid" to eat during breakfest when taking the BP coffee. 

I love MCT but it seems to give stomach pains during the morning (happens only when stomach is empty/hungry). Even if it is just a small teaspoon, I can't seem to tolerate it in an empty stomach. 

I can feel it does wonders on the brain while at the same time feeling a wreck in the stomach. 

I take 1 bagel (nothing on it) to "balance it out". I know many are against gluten but it seems to make the brain feel great while the stomach feels "normal". 

Are there any alternative things to eat that is:

A) Really easy to prepare in the morning

B ) Doesn't take too much time 

C) That is approved by Bulletproof?

Thanks. B)

Ive been on and off the program over the past few years....well, you cant really be "off" it, but you know what I mean. Theres an adjustment period to a high fat diet, especially with the MCT oils. Tolerance should build as your body adjusts to digesting so much fat at once. Not having to think about eating breakfast or lunch is such a plus, just stick with it.

• How long did it take to be able to tolerate MCT oil in an empty stomach?

Been taking MCT for about 3 weeks now; 1 teaspoon once in the morning and 1-2 tablespoon once at night (full-stomach at night)

• Me? The upgraded took about a week after I had been back on regular MCT oil for a couple weeks. Before that, I had been consuming it here and there. I drink 2 cups, bitters, and a handful of supplements within about an hour of waking and so far, no sickness since last Wednesday. Last Wednesday, I might as well have had a barium solution for breakfast. It was terrible. Can you tell how good I am at moderation? Lol.

I think the roughest part of giving advice here are the strengths and weaknesses of our organs and hormones. My past experiences have led me to believe that my liver is potentially very weak and in need of strengthening, cleansing. We all probably have different paths and time lengths to getting our tolerances up - and there are clues in all of our "problems". Right now, my diet is not entirely Bulletproof but Ive pretty much been doing BP coffee for 2 meals for a few weeks and eating gluten free for a couple months (ok, with the exception of my moms birthday, but I had gluten specific enzymes for that, I swear!). I wake up, take a sip of Himalayan salt sole, then get up and have a big glass of warm water/digestive tea. I wait about 20 minutes then drink a liver tonic - Chinese bitters, some more sole, and some liver specific solution. Then coffee about 20 minutes after that, supplements (fats and minerals only). When I tried this months ago, I broke out in cystic acne within days that only subsided after I stopped the Chinese bitters. The cystic acne subsided, but the psoriasis and hair loss still has not. Dave suggested I had liver congestion or thyroid issues, and though every time Ive had a thyroid test its been great, I don't think I put enough effort into concentrating on the liver.

Long story longer, keep cutting back until you can do it for a day without being sick. If that doesn't work, perhaps you have physical issues that might need to be looked at before you plunge into a full fat diet?

• TJ JTJ J skratta pa klocka
    edited June 2013

Mixing bagels with BP coffee is a terrible idea, it will almost certainly lower your HDL and make your blood fats higher. Choose one or the other because this is recipe for a heart attack.

It takes a long time to get used to straight MCT especially if you are not used to starting the day without some kind of carbohydrate. 

You have to experiment with all the green side foods until you find something that settles your empty stomach;  a handful of macadamia nuts, soft boiled eggs, protein shake....or try IF fasting without BP coffee. Dear god, don't eat bagels for breakfast.

• Seeing the word "Bagel" here is so unexpected! : )

I'd drop the bagel, and experiment with the coffee - the quantities and ratios of everything.  Make a small cup of coffee with low butter and low MCT and see how that goes? Then wiggle the factors from there? You may find a happy ratio, and it may change as you get used to things. I would feel digestive pains after having even the decaf version of bulletproof coffee at first. For several weeks (maybe more than a month?) I'd make these super-small coffees in the morning, but now I am fine drinking double and sometimes triple that volume.

You could try HCL capsules with your coffee, too.

If you're not in a rush to loose weight, then definitely have breakfast! I often make a small coffee and eat breakfast with it. I like either eggs or baked bacon with guacamole.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

I've started making a smoothie for the Mrs which she loves since she won't drink coffee. I take 50g of butter plus a bit of boiling water and swish it around until its melted. Then a handful of frozen raspberries (Dave has mentioned these as OK since they're low in sugar) and blend it together. Then a couple of raw eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa powder. That's usually enough to almost fill a glass, sometimes I top it up with a little bit of milk.

You could add MCT to that and give it a go. The raspberries and eggs would hopefully be enough food to stop the discomfort.

• I usually tend to have a couple soft boiled eggs during the week. On the weekends I have enough time to slow-cook bacon and make some sunnyside up eggs. I will occasionally have a bit of low sugar fruit with breakfast if I feel the need.

• edited June 2013

Mixing bagels with BP coffee is a terrible idea, it will almost certainly lower your HDL and make your blood fats higher. Choose one or the other because this is recipe for a heart attack.

It takes a long time to get used to straight MCT especially if you are not used to starting the day without some kind of carbohydrate. 

You have to experiment with all the green side foods until you find something that settles your empty stomach;  a handful of macadamia nuts, soft boiled eggs, protein shake....or try IF fasting without BP coffee. Dear god, don't eat bagels for breakfast.

Absolutely. 

But what I find odd is that I feel better with the bagel.: better concentration. more filled, less prone to hunger etc...

I've been doing x1 bagel one day and none on the next and I can't help to think that I feel consistently better with the bagel? 

* I can go 7-10 hours without needing to eat/feel hunger anything after (with the bagel + mct oil + bp coffee + kg butter)

* I observed that I don't go hungry for 3-4 hours when taking only bp coffee/butter/mct oil (without bagel) + high chance of stomach ache at the beginning

* and 5-8 hours (without a bagel but without MCT oil)

So I feel rather confused sometimes whether if its my body adopting or if I'm doing "something wrong" (using MCT oil from Dave + BP coffee from Dave + Kerrygold butter). I'm guessing its the MCT oil that's triggering the hunger. Dunno if anyone ever experienced this before?  Thanks a lot for all the kind posts.

• Really taking a hcl supplement is the only way I got over that feeling. I took it for a week then the next week I reduced the supplementation and the week after I was fine. I started with 1.5 tsp first week, 2 second and 2.5 third...worked my way up to 2 tbsp. I do find that there are day, could be hormones, that I am so hungry by 9:30-10 I have to eat! I use 3 tbsp butter in my 450mls coffee...sometimes I need more butter to keep me full. Lately to help out adrenals, I've had one soft egg at breakfast and can easily go my 17 hrs almost fast

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• By tsp I mean tsp/tbsp of mct oil...

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• I had such a bout of sickness this morning and I've figured out that if I haven't eaten for an extended period of time (today was 20 hours total without solid food) then BP Coffee just messes me up.

During the week I eat BP during the day, and then I drink BP decaf at night as my dinner so basically I'm not eating anything from 2PM to 8AM. I find I don't have any problems when I do it like that. You might want to try my idea on reversing the time structure, eating BP for breakfast and lunch, and then having BP decaf coffee for dinner.