Can You Eat Frozen Fish Raw?

So I love raw salmon in sushi and found a supermarket that sells cheap wild caught salmon individually wrapped, frozen.  Can I simply defrost this in the refrigerator and eat it?  

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    No, it should be sushi grade.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • What exactly do you mean by sushi grade? I've been building up to raw fish lately, now just gently cooking it for a few minutes (always purchase froze fish - primarily salmon). I was actually going to make a bunch of different ceviche dishes soon to maximize the 'rawness' of the fish (I know the citric juices 'cook' it, but much less so than heat). But I don't want to consume something that is going to have me sick for 3 days, lol.

http://equilibriohm.wordpress.com/

http://biohacksblog.com/

Natural ability without education has more often raised a man to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. - Marcus Aurelius 

• No, it should be sushi grade.

Why is this?

sushi restaurants buy sushi grade fish, they don't get frozen fillets from costco.  Do it if you want, here in B.C. Canada (the sushi capitol of North America) there are readily available places to go to get sushi grade fish which is meant to be consumed raw, it is and should be held to a different standard than fish that is meant to be cooked.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Yeah sushi grade fish has been bled correctly, stored properly after being caught and transported to the dock and I think frozen at a certain temp to kill bacteria. Something along those lines...

You can probably google search for where you can get it in your area.
  • I've developed a method of lightly blanching fish.  I like to get some salty water heated up close to boiling and put a big slab of sockeye with the skin cut off in there for about 30-45 seconds.  Then pour it through a strainer, put it in a bowl and stir it up with some butter and salt, and use it to make sushi.  I don't run it in cold water like some ways of blanching.  It's certainly not raw but quite good.