Citalopram And St John's Wort

Hi All,

As you can see I'm totally new to this forum so I hope you'll all be kind! My partner has been posting here a while and has expressed how helpful she has found the feedback, this has motivated me to post.

I've been on 40mg Citalopram for around a year now and 15mg Mirtazapine was added around 3 months ago. What I've found and where I've come in this year has been an achievement it must be said, I have found that the prescribed medication has helped me get to this point (along with counselling) where the depression has been beaten to almost non-existence however a bout of anxiety has been uncovered and my Doctor instructs me that the Citalopram and Mirtazapine should actually reduce the anxiety. As this is not the case I've been reading a few books exploring the topic of depression and anxiety and have come across one in particular that has piqued my interest called "The Mood Cure". 

To cut a long story short I have identified that I'm low on Serotonin (probably obvious as Citalopram is an SSRI, but forgive me I'm a novice in this area) and possibly GABA and would like to remedy this with supplementing St John's Wort and 5-HTP/Tryptophan along with my prescribed medication.

The one thing stopping me taking St John's Wort and others is the warning of the leaflet that came along with the St John's Wort I purchased today (http://www.schwabepharma.co.uk/pages/products/karmamood-maximum-strength.php) and the advice of the pharmacist, which was that these two combined will interact and I'll feel, to quote, "really bad". Speaking with my partner this "feeling really bad" seems to refer to Serotonin overload, which seems to have never actually have been recorded in the history of depression/anxiety.

My conflict is a combination of my upbringing, whereby I've always been told to listen to the Doctor, and the fact I'm getting no further with my prescription. In short, what do you guys think to combining St John's Wort and 5-HTP/Tryptophan with 40mg Citalopram and 15mg Mirtazapine?

Thanks in anticipation!

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file