Is Hemp Protein Bulletproof?

Any thoughts on hemp protein powder? Other than the fact it tastes absolutely disgusting   :eek:

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

probablythe best plant based protein, meat and whey is better of course.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • thanks for the quick response

what is the maximum amount of whey isolate i can safely consume per day? After i have reached that limit is it still OK to take hemp protein?

• thanks for the quick response

what is the maximum amount of whey isolate i can safely consume per day? After i have reached that limit is it still OK to take hemp protein?

I would suggest getting as much protein as possible from actual food sources, such as fish, beef, eggs, etc. You should really only be using small doses of protein powders to supplement your diet, hence the name "supplement". I guess you could use both collagen and whey to supplement as needed. Maybe take 1 serving of each at different times of day. Your needs/results will vary with body type and what you are actually trying to achieve.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Yeah, I never have more than two scoops of supplemental protein/day.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • It is hard and expensive to get the amount of protein i want from fish, beef, eggs and a small amount of supplemental protein. 

I guess I'll be fine if i add some chicken though

• On the bulletproof diet: "Target 50-60% of calories from healthy fats (this is easy and tastes good), 20% from protein, and the rest from vegetables." (http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-complete-illustrated-one-page-bulletproof-diet/)

How come you need so much protein?

• lifting heavy weights

the entire body building community seems to think a high protein intake is needed to retain muscle mass whilst cutting. I'm not sure if Dave agrees.

• Yea, I can certainly see where you're coming from in regards to good food being expensive. Eggs, however, are a relatively inexpensive source of fats and protein. I often have 2-4 soft boiled eggs per day. There is 6 grams of protein per egg and depending on where I buy them, it can cost as little as $2.75 per dozen.

Another powerful bang-for-your-buck source is Wild Planet Sardines. I order them from Amazon in 6-packs for about $16. There are 3 sardines per tin, so there is up to 18g right there. I usually throw 1-1.5 in a bed of greens with some apple cider vinegar and have 1-1.5 servings of macadamia nuts on the side.

How many grams per day are you targeting?

It is hard and expensive to get the amount of protein i want from fish, beef, eggs and a small amount of supplemental protein. 

I guess I'll be fine if i add some chicken though

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

the main thing i see wrong with using a lot of protein powder is you are missing out on the fats from grass fed beef, eggs and fatty fish. on the other hand it's ridiculously convenient and i've actually been considering upping my intake from 1 scoop to 2 a day.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• Yea, I can certainly see where you're coming from in regards to good food being expensive. Eggs, however, are a relatively inexpensive source of fats and protein. I often have 2-4 soft boiled eggs per day. There is 6 grams of protein per egg and depending on where I buy them, it can cost as little as $2.75 per dozen.

Another powerful bang-for-your-buck source is Wild Planet Sardines. I order them from Amazon in 6-packs for about $16. There are 3 sardines per tin, so there is up to 18g right there. I usually throw 1-1.5 in a bed of greens with some apple cider vinegar and have 1-1.5 servings of macadamia nuts on the side.

How many grams per day are you targeting?

Thanks for the tips. I've been eating a lot of eggs fried in butter. They taste pretty pretty good.  :-P 

Around 180g's. I'm going to do a bulletproof/leangains intermittent fasting hybrid. With 50/50 fats/carbs on workout days and mostly fats on non workout days. >180g protein everyday.