Behavior Hacking

What are some of the best hacks for unwanted behaviors like procrastination, self-sabotage, etc?

Comments

• Meditation works wonders on everything psychological.

• I have found yoga to be very useful in getting rid of bad habits 

Indomitable- when you break you get right back up

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Get a thick rubber band and put it around your wrist. Every time you notice yourself doing the negative behaviour, snap the band.

• I have some similar issues. I first started trying to incorperate some meditation whenever I have time, and I have a hypnosis video with visualisation and that and has positive reinforcement elements to it. It helps but it is not immediate for me - i have to work at it

I have been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety issues which results in a lot of bad self-talk, fear of rejection and strange people pleasing manifestations.

I am about to embark on a course of visits with a psychologist who utilises EEG neurofeedback so hopefully this will help as well.

• Get a thick rubber band and put it around your wrist. Every time you notice yourself doing the negative behaviour, snap the band.

That is actually quite clever.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Thanks, not my idea though. Have a look at this article, I'm sure there are plenty more: http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/The_Rubber_Band_Technique.html

I've read elsewhere that a habit takes around 21 days to form, so I'd guess it might work the other way as well.

• I bet you there's a link there that ties to the reaction time issue you were mentioning in your other post, to much backround noise.

I think you are probably right as well - indeed most of my practise I have trouble being fast because I cannot just "be in the moment" (an external analysis from a coach of my problem)

Ironically I do best in competitions where my mind compeltely changes - i tend to be able to completely focus and although I am not actively thinking at all, I am much more responsive.

Although this is the case , to improve competition play it is useful to be able to reach that same kind of focus at training. Instead, like you said, there is too much noise and I start to get anxious about how little progress I am making and into the downward spiral we go.

• Get a thick rubber band and put it around your wrist. Every time you notice yourself doing the negative behaviour, snap the band.

Haha I've been doing that for a few weeks! It first started as a "complaint free" band. Then i decided to take it a couple steps further. Sometimes I forget that I did something negative and won't snap it. Gotta work on being more assertive with it. But so far it's definitely helped me become more mindful of bad behaviors.

• Pommodoro Technique - superb procrastination cure
  • "Magic Dots" similar to Pommodoro, but I like better... 6 min increments good for us .. ADD types..

http://blog.sethroberts.net/2012/07/04/magic-dots-quasi-reinforcement-helps-get-things-done/

• "The Power of Habit" is a good book you should check out.

• The best hack for reducing/eliminating a problem behavior or increasing/adding a goal behavior is to create a Personal Change Project using the evidence-based method of Positive Behavior Support. Once you understand the process you can hack any behavior. It's not a magic pill. It takes work (I'm studying applied behavior analysis and I use it personally and professionally on a daily basis) but it will produce measureable results. www.bxhacks.com is hosting a free tutorial on how to use this behavior change method. Check it out. Best of luck.