Milk Cows — Handful Of Grain Per Day

There is a local farm where i can get raw milk and milk products. The cows are grass fed, the only problem is the farmer told me she gives the cows a handful of grain when they go in to milk. She says it is a comfort food and they need it to warm up.

What kind of effect will this have on the milk? Is a handful of grain a day enough to change anything?

http://www.windyacresdairy.com/?page_id=73 : see "Point 7 - What are the cows fed"

Tagged:

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    You see the size of those things? I doubt a handful would be an issue, besides, it would seem that grass fed butter isn't really 100% grass fed anyway, probably for the same reason you were told.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

It may not seem like much, but you try eating a handful of something you're not supposed to eat and see how your health changes. :-D

kerrygold isn't 100%, or any of the other ones.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

Yeah that's a shame. But if it was, it would be even better!

• kerrygold isn't 100%, or any of the other ones.

It's not ???

It's not ???

Not unless you own them yourself and put them into cryostasis during winter, even Dave said it on the bryan callen interview that they're given some supplemented feed, it's just business.  Look up silage, when they go to their stalls they are probably fed some silage and would be the feed mainstay or at minimum supplemented in the winter months, most likely while they are milked as well. 

• https://www.yeovalley.co.uk/the-family/the-cows

I was just about to post this.

It says they have some wheat and cereal in yeo valley, i've been using this butter and wondered if I was in the wrong?

I'm from UK, kerry gold unsalted is pretty much non-existant. might move over to rachel's.

• I'm pretty sure even grass-fed cows would eat at least the equivalent of a handful of grass seeds or other seeds while they are grazing.

• FWIW its the middle of winter here in Australia and I see cows on grass everywhere out of the city. Guess we are somewhat lucky here although I assume quite a bit of grain finishing goes on here. More than we are told anyway.