Finding A Bed Mattress

I'm currently looking into buying a new mattress. I often have trouble falling asleep at night and waking up feeling well-rested. Does anyone have any suggestions of which brand or type of mattress they would recommend? I put a lot of importance on getting quality sleep each night, so I really want to invest in a good mattress to improve my sleep quality especially now that I have a Zeo to track everything (I'm hoping to go from sleeping 8 hours to at least 6.5). Thanks in advance!

Comments

• There can be only one. Tempur-pedic.
  • edited May 2012
    http://www.mulliganmattress.com/

Chemical free natural latex mattress

We have this and love it!

• http://www.mulliganmattress.com/

Chemical free natural latex mattress

We have this and love it!

Looks like a very nice bed. However, I'm on the east coast (Washington DC area) so it doesn't look like I would be able to test out that brand. After doing a bit of research, I think I'm going to try out a Simmons Beautyrest Comforpedic (http://www.beautyrest.com/beds/comforpedic). It's gotten very good reviews from many different websites. However, I'm not sure if it has chemicals or anything that could have health concerns. I guess what I'm looking for is the most "bulletproof" bed I can find, if such a thing exists!
  • 'bdm4' wrote:

Looks like a very nice bed. However, I'm on the east coast (Washington DC area) so it doesn't look like I would be able to test out that brand. After doing a bit of research, I think I'm going to try out a Simmons Beautyrest Comforpedic (http://www.beautyres...eds/comforpedic). It's gotten very good reviews from many different websites. However, I'm not sure if it has chemicals or anything that could have health concerns. I guess what I'm looking for is the most "bulletproof" bed I can find, if such a thing exists!

Just a caveat - we ended up getting something like that Simmons after finding out that the Tempur-pedics were on back-order for a few months. We've regretted not waiting ever since.

I do not know a bunch about relative toxin levels in mattresses, but I do know that everyone I know with a Tempur-pedic sleeps better and LESS.

Your mileage may vary.
  • See if you can find a mattress manufacturer in your area. If you can, you may be able to get them to build you one without using the toxic fire-retardant chemicals for much less than you'd pay for a fully organic mattress on line. We bought ours from "Seattle Mattress" (google them) and had it build to low-toxin specs with no pillow-top in the extra firm version using organic materials on top. It was around $600 total; so really not much more than your standard offering.

I've actually heard bad things about tempurpedics in that they break down over time and are not so good for spine health. They also likely have toxins in the latex.

There are a couple companies that make natural latex mattresses and futons though. But you're looking at a $2K+ solution. If it's in your budget, go for it...

I sleep best on a very firm mattress...I'd sleep on the floor if my wife would let me...or join me.
  • I don't think it's hard finding a chemical free mattress w/a Google search in your area. We tried Savvyrest and really liked them. They are actually from Virginia. We decided to go with Mulligan because of cost. We bought one for our borderline asperger's kid too. Since changing his mattress and eating a Paleo diet, he has improved signifcantly. When he was younger, we had heavy metal testing done. He had high levels of antimony among other things. Antimony is used in fire retartant chemicals. I've always been suspicious of our mattresses, the new carpet we had installed when he was really young, and fire retardants that are required on all baby things, including PJ's. If you are planning on kids or more kids, I would seriously consider weighing the chemical/non chemical choices. That is just me-just to be safe. Good luck!

http://www.savvyrest.com/
  • edited June 2012
    Hello,

After all, each brand comes with its own set of strengths and weaknesses and so far, the market hasn't produced that one mattress that can address all types of concerns under one company.

Thanks
  • Whatever you get, make sure it's free of flame-retardants.
  • Highly recommend DUX. Or you could try an earthing mattress - but I think they are tempur, which I personally is not a fan of. Sleep well! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • I bought a kapok futon from here about 6 monts ago:

http://zafu.net/futon.html

No flame retardants, all organic. It's nice. The only drawback is it requires occasional fluffing.
  • Bdm4! Which mattress did you end up buying? I am looking for one too. Live in NYC. Thanks :)
  • I am very intrigued by this heating/cooling mattress http://www.chilitechnology.com/shop/chilibed-cooling-heating-mattress/ not sure about flame retardants though and it sure is expensive.

I'm leaning more towards the organic futon route myself.

• RodRod The Rodfather
    edited March 2013

Have anyone tried ShikiBed?

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/shikibed?gclid=CJiJk6LA4bUCFY6e4AodiEwAeA

Funny you bring this up, I'm going to oder one soon. They are nice but if you can afford it, you can go all organic cotton/wool blend. Shiki bed still has some boric acid in it. 

Update: I think I may pass because of the Boric Acid...

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Funny you bring this up, I'm going to oder one soon. They are nice but if you can afford it, you can go all organic cotton/wool blend. Shiki bed still has some boron in it. 

I found some research articles on PubMed regarding boron (boric acid) toxicity.  Boron doesn't seem to cause endocrine problems in humans.  At least it's not as harmful of a chemical as many "green" blogs make it out to be.  Here is the latest occupational study from Turkey...although, if you are into conspiracy theories, you could argue that Turks manipulated the sample set or data to show that those workers are not poisoned by boron :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23422246

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686310

• Sleep Ergonomics is my own landmark research on what type of surface provides the optimal sleep. Sweet Dreams on a Hard Surface. Not only is a hard surface important for optimal (i.e. Paleo) sleeping, but some form of grounding, such as the Quantum Calming Mat. Check it out!

• RodRod The Rodfather

I found some research articles on PubMed regarding boron (boric acid) toxicity.  Boron doesn't seem to cause endocrine problems in humans.  At least it's not as harmful of a chemical as many "green" blogs make it out to be.  Here is the latest occupational study from Turkey...although, if you are into conspiracy theories, you could argue that Turks manipulated the sample set or data to show that those workers are not poisoned by boron :)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23422246

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686310

That's very interesting, I wonder if at this point it's still considered a "Fire Retardant". The only option I have seen are Organig Cotton with Wool to be the natural fire retardant. 

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• All pure organic matrresses are incredibly expensive.  I compromised and bought my shikibuton from Tuft and Needle this week.  Decided I am okay with inhaling boric acid until I find more condemning evidence.  But I splurged on getting a Japanese platform bed with tatami mats thinking that those should last a long time and they don't have any chemicals and i love their minimalist design.

• Ah, I've been conducting this search too!  Standard market mattresses are full of chemicals (not only limited to flame retardants) - once I started reading about this I immediately got rid of my mattress.  I did some research as well about training your body to sleep on a harder surface which some believe has additional health benefits.  I got a wooden foldable frame and in the meantime am sleeping on top of a yoga mat on the frame.  I have become used to it and I now sleep much more soundly than I ever did on my very comfy cushy mattress.  It also helps that I am much closer to the ground (I would sleep on the floor if I could).  I am still looking for a small pad-type something that is all natural, will not become moldy over time (all cotton can sometimes do that in addition to compressing), and is thin enough to roll up out of the way.  Oh, and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Unfortunately a lot of companies have learned they can charge a crapload of money to the folks like me who care about their health enough to explore outside the standard American mattress.   The shiki-futons look great but I haven't been able yet to find a good organic one.

• That's great you can sleep on the floor.   Personally, I can't afford it.  Prefer poisonous boric acid fumes to zero dating life :)

Ah, I've been conducting this search too!  Standard market mattresses are full of chemicals (not only limited to flame retardants) - once I started reading about this I immediately got rid of my mattress.  I did some research as well about training your body to sleep on a harder surface which some believe has additional health benefits.  I got a wooden foldable frame and in the meantime am sleeping on top of a yoga mat on the frame.  I have become used to it and I now sleep much more soundly than I ever did on my very comfy cushy mattress.  It also helps that I am much closer to the ground (I would sleep on the floor if I could).  I am still looking for a small pad-type something that is all natural, will not become moldy over time (all cotton can sometimes do that in addition to compressing), and is thin enough to roll up out of the way.  Oh, and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Unfortunately a lot of companies have learned they can charge a crapload of money to the folks like me who care about their health enough to explore outside the standard American mattress.   The shiki-futons look great but I haven't been able yet to find a good organic one.

• Hehe.  Yep I had to consider that when I got rid of my full-size bed and frame and switched to a foldable twin-size frame.  The conclusion I came to though was that my health has to come first (it never has before), and perhaps it could serve as a sort of dating "filter".  After all, most people I would be compatible with would typically be open to that kind of thing.  Same reasoning for getting rid of my couch :)

That's great you can sleep on the floor.   Personally, I can't afford it.  Prefer poisonous boric acid fumes to zero dating life :)

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Just order an 8 inch Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress which has a 2 inch memory foam layer and a 6 inch reflex base foam. It's a double (4'6"x 6'3") and should be delivered in a couple of days time.

Below is some of the advertising for buying a Memory Foam Mattress. Interesting read, looking forward to getting a even better ngihts sleep.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

What is Visco Elastic Memory Foam ?

Back in the 1970's NASA set out to develop a material that would conform te exact body shape of the astronaut to reduce G-forces at time of take-off. NASA came up with an open-celled temperature sensitive Visco Elastic Memory Foam. Due to the remarkable pressure relieving features, the Memory Foam Mattress will help you get the deep restful sleep you need. The temperature sensitive Memory Foam Mattress will cradle your body in an unbeleivable out of this world comfort.

Why you should buy a Memory Foam Mattress ?

The unique charachteristics of this Luxurious Memory Foam Mattress provides a sleep surface that conforms to your body's shape and position. To do this, Visco Elastic Memory Foam responds to temperature and softens in warmer areas. The Memory Foam also reacts to the weight of your body, the result is a Luxurious Mattress that moulds to your body providing the most comfortable surface you can ever sleep on. When you wake up in the morning the memory foam will return to its original shape without distortion, ready for your next resful nights sleep.

The health benefits are numerous and medical trials and extensive testimonials have proven that sleeping on a Memory Foam Mattress can help alleviate the following conditions.

Back & Neck Pain â€“ Correct spinal alignment has many benefits.

Headaches & Migraines â€“ Sufficient support will help neck muscles to relax, therefore preventing tension headaches.

Pelvic & Hip Pain â€“ Reduces the risk of swollen hip joints or aching pelvic areas  by contouring to the body’s shape.

Arthritis â€“ Less stress on joints can reduce pressure and help ease arthritic pain.

Circulatory Problems â€“ The  weight of the body is absorbed  by the Memory Foam allowing the blood to circulate efficiently throughout the body preventing bed sores, swollen calves and feet.

Allergies â€“ Our Memory Foam is dust-mite resistant and anti-microbial, ideal for asthma sufferers, showing immediate improvement.

Pregnancy Support â€“ Our Memory Foam Mattress provides you unparalleled support wherever you require it the most. It cradles to your body shape, absorbing the weight giving you a more restful and comfortable sleep.

Why people change from a Spring Mattress to a Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress

The National Institute for Clinical Excellence (N.I.C.E) has recommended the use of Memory Foam Mattresses to the N.H.S. as a very effective way of increasing patients health benefits.

A Normal Mattress would double its weight in 10 years as a result of being filled with dust mites, bed bugs and their waste.

There are thousands of these creatures living in a Normal Mattress.

The larger female bed bugs take repeated blood meals over several weeks, they lay upto 5 new eggs every day.

Bed bugs live off sucking on human blood.

Dust mites feed on human dead skin flakes.

Dust Mites & Bed Bugs cannot live in a Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress as it is a closed cell structure and it cannot hold any dust particles.

Asthmatics have one sworn enemy that science cannot defeat, the common Dust Mite

People suffering from Asthma show immediate improvement with The Memory Foam Mattress.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• karenkaren "Say your 3 S's: Star, Smile, Strong!"
    Shikibuton is the way to go.

http://soaringheart.com/
  • katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Mine turned up today! Report on my findings after a few sleeps.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Got it home and on the bed. Just need to sleep on it now ;-)

MFoamMatress.jpg

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

two nights on it so far. Much different from a conventional mattress. Been sleeping very well as usual, but a bit early to comment too much on the mattress. Find it very comfortable, but I fall asleep so quick and then am normally up and outta bed once the alarm goes off. Only noticeable difference at the moment is moving and sitting on it is very different and a little weird, but I only do a bit of that. Getting up off the bed is also a little more difficult at the moment.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2013

5 nights on it now. Sleeping well on it so far. I'm finding I move around much less due to you sinking into it.

Haven't dropped below 80% Sleep quality on my sleep cycle app. Got 98% last night with a total sleep time of 8:20.

Wasn't an expensive purchase either, so not sure how long it'll last, although it has a 15 year guarantee. I paid only £115 delivered, which is very cheap for a mattress. A friend's got a tempur version that set him back £1,200. I use a tempur pillow which was £65 which is brilliant.

So far I'm very happy with it. Only 5 nights in, so it's only a good start.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Think I'm pretty adapted to the new mattress now and I think along with the other adjustments I've made is improving my sleep dramatically. I was sleep pretty well before, but now!

Think the only thing now that would let this purchase down is how long it last. Very very happy with it and wish I'd got one a long time ago. £115 well spent and recommended :-)

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• It`s awesome when you sleep well. We bought a tempur mattress and hated it, it got far too hot at night and we live in the UK where the climate isn`t that warm. Have found a mattress more suited to us both now. We sometimes use a Yantra acupressure mat and that works extremley well pre sleep for 20 minutes per day. It has helped to relieve stress, improve sleep, give us more energy, and relieve aches and pains. It`s an unusual adjustment made for us but worked. Sometime the cheaper purchases are best!

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Not heard of the mat before, done a little research and as they're not too expensive in the UK, I'm gonna order one. 

Do you just use yours on your back or do you use it on other parts of your body?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter