Newbie Question: Should You Take Breaks From Bp Coffee?

edited June 2013 in Bulletproof Coffee

I used to take a few days break every now and then in order to "prevent" myself from being too hooked on coffee.

But I stumbled upon a few of Dave's videos where he mentions that: "he takes coffee every day". 

So I am curious: 

a) Would taking coffee every day diminish the effectiveness of BP coffee on the medium and long term? (Wouldn't the "good effects" diminish by continuously taking it for a month?)

b ) and would it make you eventually too dependent on coffee? 

Thanks for the input.

I know they are more of a newbie questions, but I am really curious about this.

Comments

• edited June 2013

I used to take a few days break every now and then in order to "prevent" myself from being too hooked on coffee.

But I stumbled upon a few of Dave's videos where he mentions that: "he takes coffee every day". 

So I am curious: 

a) Would taking coffee every day diminish the effectiveness of BP coffee on the medium and long term? (Wouldn't the "good effects" diminish by continuously taking it for a month?)

b ) and would it make you eventually too dependent on coffee? 

Thanks for the input.

I know they are more of a newbie questions, but I am really curious about this.

In regards to dependency, it's not so much the coffee as it is the caffeine. You can probably avoid the dependency by switching to decaf. As with anything, I think your body adapts to the benefits of coffee and, therefore, you won't get the maximum effectiveness of it over time.

I drink BP coffee no more than 4 times a week. 

It's strange because, contrary to what you're saying, I've heard Dave recommend not drinking coffee every day and that we should take at least one day off a week. I wish I remember where I heard Dave say/write that, though.

• edited June 2013

Haven't missed a day in 10 months. What effects are we talking about that you feel would be diminished?

I think he's talking about the effects (affects?) of the caffeine would diminish over time. Like how stoners need to smoke more weed to get high because their body develops a resistance to the THC. I'm pretty sure bp coffee will keep you high preforming regardless of how immune to the caffeine you become. The main key with bpc is getting your short and medium chain fats. 

• http://examine.com/faq/do-i-need-to-cycle-caffeine.html

I do a 40 hour fast every week, and will cycle off most supps/stims for at least 2 days a week.  

Reigning Former Inner Balance "Mad Monk" Champion... :-P 

• Haven't missed a day in 10 months. What effects are we talking about that you feel would be diminished?

Your body, over time, develops a tolerance to caffeine, which means you have to up keep upping your dosage to feel the same effects.

Remember, caffeine is a psychoactive drug.

I can't find the source, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that DA mentioned that you should ideally take 2 days off a week from drinking coffee, if you want to feel the maximum cognitive benefits. 

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

Newbies need to learn to use the search button ;-)

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/3314-bulletproof-breaks/

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

•  

I agree but that thread doesn't focus on cycling bpcoffee specifically.  I think it's a good question and I've been thinking about it quite a bit lately.  

I've had bpcoffee everyday for about 6 months myself and feel great with no desire to change the dosage.  I drink it over a period of time similar to how jason miller does it.  But I haven't taken a day off it until today I made a bp style chai tea with no caffeine and i only felt slightly less stimulated.  It really was a mild difference.  I like the idea of cycling it.  I'm planning on switching over to caffeine free teas and also cutting out all caffeine sources including chocolate for a week at a time every 8-10 weeks just to give my body a break from caffeine.  What do you guys think?

• Do you think use green tea once a week rather than bp coffee is a good way to avoid caffeine tolerance?