Black Licorice

Hey guys. I am trying to find a black licorice recipe that I can make. I'm trying to make it bulletproof as possible, but most gluten free licorice recipes have a cubic crapton of sugar and corn syrup in them. While that's still better than the crap they put in them at the store "They are typically made of; Brown sugar syrup, wheat flour, corn syrup, starch, licorice extract, salt, artificial and natural flavors, fractionated coconut oil, beeswax coating, and carnauba wax."  Aghh I'm stuck in this font now! 

Anyways, this website ---http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipies/specialty-sweet-treats/licorice-date-wheels/--- (haha got out of it!) has a basic recipe which is supposed to taste exactly like black licorice without all that other crap. Heres what it uses:

• 3 cups Mejol dates, pitted
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp ground fennel seeds

I know the dates are at best on the yellow spot of the scale, but I have no idea about the fennel seeds. Neither a search on the forums or the blog had anything to say about them. N E body know how much these are gonna mess me up? 

Also I have no idea what a dehydrator tray is. Would baking them instead work?

Comments

• edited June 2013

Just found these:

Health benefits of fennel seeds:

• Fennel symbolizes longevity, courage, and strength. In addition to its use as medicinal values, fennel has much health benefiting nutrients, essential compounds, anti-oxidants, dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins.

• Fennel seeds indeed contain numerous flavonoid anti-oxidants like kaempferol and quercetin. These compounds function as powerful anti-oxidants by removing harmful free radicals from the body thus protect from cancers, infection, aging and degenerative neurological diseases.

• Like in caraway, fennel seeds too are rich source of dietary fiber. 100 g seeds provide 39.8 g of fiber. Much of this roughage is metabolically inert insoluble fiber, which helps increase bulk of the food by absorbing water throughout the digestive system and easing constipation condition.

• In addition, dietary fibers bind to bile salts (produced from cholesterol) and decrease their re-absorption in colon, thus help lower serum LDL cholesterol levels. Together with flavonoid anti-oxidants, fiber composition of fennel helps protect the colon mucus membrane from cancers.

• Fennel seeds compose of health benefiting volatile essential oil compounds such as anethole, limonene, anisic aldehyde, pinene, myrcene, fenchone, chavicol, and cineole. These active principles in the fennel are known to have antioxidant, digestive, carminative, and anti-flatulent properties.

• Fennel seeds are concentrated source of minerals like copper, iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, selenium, zinc, and magnesium. Copper is required in the production of red blood cells. Iron is required for red blood cell formation. Zinc is a co-factor in many enzymes that regulate growth and development, sperm generation, digestion and nucleic acid synthesis. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure.Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the powerful anti-oxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase.

• Furthermore, the seeds indeed are the storehouse for many vital vitamins. Vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C as well as many B-complex vitamins like thiamin, pyridoxine, riboflavin and niacin particularly are concentrated in these seeds.

Safety profile:

Fennel seed should be avoided in large doses. Compounds in fennel may be neuro-toxic in higher concentrations and may cause hallucinations and seizures. It may exacerbate estrogen receptor-linked cancer conditions like endometrial, breast, ovarian... etc., due to high concentration of estrogenic compounds in it. Pregnant women may be advised to avoid eating fennel in large amounts.

-http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/fennel-seed.html

As much as I like putting neuro-toxins in my body, perhaps I should stick with the sugar versions? 

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Do you mind if I ask why you want the black liquorice?

No sorcery, just science. 

• Do you mind if I ask why you want the black liquorice?

It's my favorite candy. The fact that no one else likes it is just an added bonus because that way I don't have to share.

Ok. I was trying to determine whether you liked to eat it, you just liked the flavour, or you wanted it medicinally.

Unfortunately, you're in the "I like to eat it" boat. The other two have other options....

Can you try to move you into "I just want the flavour" category, as opposed to "I want the texture" and then we can substitute the flavour into some bulletproof chocolate and some 'Get some' ice-cream? We can make a bulletproof version of Chinese Five Spice as a seasoning for your steaks.

Otherwise, your dates are just goop-y sacks of sugar. I can't think of another way off the top of my head so that you could make a BP liquorice. It's like trying to make bulletproof bread or bulletproof fried chicken. The sugar content adds body & texture. The sugar content is also what we want to avoid. Maybe arrowroot starch and stevia.... but I haven't played with starch before, so I can't really comment. 

• Dehydrators work at very low temps to dry slowly, often with built-in fans for circulation. If you have an electric convection oven, you might have a drying, or proofing capacity (100 degrees), gas ovens generally are too hot.

It was 108 here yesterday, perfect for sun drying food.
  • I like the texture and the taste. But I'm trying to find a bulletproof black licorice recipie. I don't care what is used as long as I can get it as bulletproof as possible. I'm not trying to lose weight so I don't mind having watery sugar bags in moderation. This isn't something I want to have every day, just something ill have maybe once or twice a week.
  • And thanks for the tip baba!
  • When I was a kid we had tons of anise plants growing in my neighborhood. We would often snap off the dried stalks, peel down to the white, dry- spongey interior, and chew it while walking home. We would take the seeds from the pods and put a few (1? 10? don't remember) in our mouths at the same time for the licorice flavor. There was a rumor amongst the kids that the Miwok Indians (who our forebears killed- ugh!) used to snack on it like that. You just reminded me of all this, thanks! Maybe if you can find anise plants you can try this? It's gotta be more bp than dates.
  • In Sweden you can buy licorice roots. Don't come any more natural than that right?
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]

and 'date' is slang down here for your butt-hole. I giggle every time I see "sticky date pudding" on a menu.

• I too love black licorice!  Growing up, the "black" version of gummy candy -- black jelly beans, black gumdrops, black licorice -- was always coveted in my household over the other flavors or colors.  

A BP licorice recipe is certainly a stumper.  Maybe when I get around to it, I'll try something like this:  organic gelatin, star anise, licorice root if I can find it, and xylitol sweetener.  Or half xylitol, half stevia.  Maybe it could be colored with beet juice.  You kind of need something like gelatin to get the gummy effect that licorice and similar candies have.  Not sure where to find some sort of organic gelatin from pastured/free range animals, or if it's BP,  I hate to think of making my own gelatin from the cartilage of a pastured chicken (gross).

Mary

• I managed to find actual licorice root and have some in my spice collection and this led me to look for a recipe that would allow me to use it: no dice.  Oddly enough I can find no recipie that uses it last time I made an effort.  I guess I should look again.  I can say that if you want a sinless way to enjoy the black licorice taste try Yogi licorice spice tea.  I generally don't like tea much but wow this is the taste you are looking for.  I think this is it: http://www.yogiproducts.com/products/details/egyptian-licorice/

• licorice root does not taste like black licorice candy...that flavor usually comes from anise seed and/or fennel.  the licorice root provides a very (almost sickeningly) sweet flavor and is highly medicinal (adaptogenic).  

these don't have the right texture, but the anise flavored ones are pretty close in taste:

http://store.organic-licorice.com/

• So here is what I tried.

2 ounces (56 grams) Great Lakes Organic Beef Gelatin/Collagen (purchased from Amazon.com)

1 1/2 cups water

2 ounces (56 grams) Xyla Xylitol sweetener

2 TBS pure anise extract

3 packets good quality stevia

1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries (for the color -- I didn't want white licorice, but also didn't want to use that toxic black food color).

Heat the water in a small saucepan and then dissolve the gelatin, xylitol and stevia.  Add the anise.  Heat it, but it doesn't need to boil.  

Put the blueberries -- frozen or thawed works -- in a food processor or blender and puree.  Add to the gelatin mixture.  Pour mixture into an ungreased glass baking dish like the size of a loaf pan.  Allow to set in the refrigerator, then cut into little squares (32 is what I got).  

So these turned out more like extra firm jello squares.  Next time, I will half the water and maybe add something like a tablespoon of coconut flour.  Anise extract is yummy if you enjoy licorice flavor.  Not a total waste, but recipe needs a lot of tweaking.  

Mary

• Bought some Liquorice root powder and made some getsome icecream with it, it was awsome. Had 3 teaspoons in one plate. Tasted like the candy called "Turkish Pepper" :)
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]