Advice On Why I Am Not Seeing Any Weight Loss

So it's been about 50 days now that I have been following the bulletproof diet. I was vegetarian for 17 years and then vegan for 100 days and as my health declined I found this site and decided to give it a try. The first week I only added in butter and eggs, then fish occasionally, and in the last week and a half I have been eating some meat, more fish and eggs, and of course lots of butter. I have a BP coffee every morning and fast until about 12-1ish. Then lately I have been having eggs or fish and bacon, or a salad with eggs or fish, or sometimes just a salad with nuts for lunch. Dinner is generally either all veggies (if out at a restaurant and I ask for with butter) or else meat/fish and veg. Dessert is generally daily as either BP ice-cream, dark chocolate, or fruit with coconut butter. I have increased my fats dramatically and I haven't gained any weight in doing that so Im glad- I was a bit afraid I would. But I have also not lost even a pound. I feel much less bloated which I think happened when going off grains, but of course Im also comparing myself to my husband who has lost 15lbs and you can see some abs starting to come through. I am totally committed to continuing on but I really don't understand why I can't seem to lose any weight. I take supplements, and am getting my blood work done this week. Also my digestion isn't ideal. Sometimes I feel nausea after eating my lunch, and my bowels either move fast or slow.. which it wasn't like that before I started this. Anyone have any ideas wtf image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Much appreciated!

Comments

• Are you overweight/overfat and what is your age? Your profile pic doesn't look like you are overweight. I'm curious because when I started this I was not overweight or overfat but felt like I could lean out a bit, especially for bathing suit season (I had been doing a slow carb diet for a while and leaned out quite a bit before a few cheats during the holidays). I have not so I am thinking the only way is to calorie restrict some. I have been tweaking the ratios quite a bit to see what works best and so far, higher fat, moderate protein, & low carbs seem to work best for me. I am certain I will need to cut the calories to lean out more or tweak my exercise methods (which i also tweak a lot). I am post menopausal so I'm sure I am different than the typical person on this board. Typically it's not advisable to fast until you have your diet solid as it can add stress to your body and keep you from progressing.
  • Dittoes on much of this. To be blunt, women cannot "lose the last 10lbs" without considerable effort, some hunger, and some food restriction.

For the record, the last 10lbs, in my experience and talking with a lot of other women, is the 10lbs that would bring you down from about a 23 BMI to a 21. That varies, but maintaining 21 or less as a woman is just freaking hard. We're not "meant" to be that lean, and triple that statement for bodyfat in the teens, even high teens.

I think men can be pretty darn lean and healthy, but women have a finer line and being what society calls lean is *usually* not healthy or sustainable. There are always exceptions, but that proves the rule, unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I still think paleo and whole foods living is wonderful and ideal. I'm trying to not be a downer on health in women vs. bodycomp, and sometimes that's hard.

• To be blunt, women cannot "lose the last 10lbs" without considerable effort, some hunger, and some food restriction.

I'm trying not to be too hurt by what this means...ipso-facto...and my manliness image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

FWIW - I don't think I've ever heard Dave talking about getting "really lean" through the BP diet. Maybe the simple fact is that 10-15% BF for men and slightly higher for women is just the optimal spot for us to be at...and all the rest is marketing-driven vanity? (cites Fight Club...- "is that what a man's supposed to look at?" - irony of Brad Pitt notwithstanding).

FWIW-2 - difference being, if you're into competitive body-building, a swimsuit model, or a high-performance endurance athlete who needs to shave time off your PR's...then you have to get to "racing weight" ala. Matt Fitzgerald's book; but maybe with different methods.

FWIW-3 - leangains.com is cool, but it seems pretty obsessive; I'm not sure I'm that vain...but maybe closer than I'd like to admit...and maybe I need to think.work on that.
  • edited May 2012
    I have a couple more thoughts:

Scale weight can definitely deceitful. You are likely increasing muscle mass while losing fat and you may be increasing your bone density. I found measuring with a tape measure to be a more useful tool for measuring progress (besides the way my skin looks, my digestion, & over all energy level). For your mid section, measure at, below, & above your belly button. For you thighs, measure top and mid. As far as fat %, I find calipers more accurate than a home scale.

Regarding digestion, you could have an issue if you are suddenly adding much more fat than you are used to (moving fast) and sometimes supplements have gut irritants. Maybe play around with how much fat you are adding and increase slowly. Some people use a digestive support. I can't recommend one but maybe somebody else can or you can research that a bit. When I first removed grains & dairy, I still had a once a week cheat for a while, however, I began to feel sick the next day and eventually, I would get extremely sick so I rarely cheat anymore (never w/gluten on purpose). I've been doing a gut healing protocal and now if I get a little cross contamination, the reaction is not so bad. I am going to a Paleo doctor and he had me go off a lot of the supplements I was taking, concerned that they may be doing more harm than good since a lot of supplements have fillers. You might want to back off and add them back as if you were on an elimination diet (make sure they don't have gluten or soy or other suspect fillers).

Lastly, exercise-what are you doing for exercise? If you are not doing weight training, this would be a good time to start and should help. I also like T-tapp and especially training w/kettlebells.

I am not bathing suit ready at the moment and know it will take some work. I've already had my babies and will only maintain it through the summer months though. For me to get there, I have to cut the fruit, nuts, coconut products (except oil), coffee, wine, & chocolate-torture, I know! I can cheat a bit (with those items) but can't have them most days, maybe just a bit once a week. I also have to be a little lighter on the oils and eat mostly fish for my protein. Again, I am post menopausal so I am more challenged in that area than the average woman.

p.s. If babies (or more babies) WERE in my future, I personally would not try to get super lean.
  • 'dpwdan' wrote:

I'm trying not to be too hurt by what this means...ipso-facto...and my manliness image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

FWIW - I don't think I've ever heard Dave talking about getting "really lean" through the BP diet. Maybe the simple fact is that 10-15% BF for men and slightly higher for women is just the optimal spot for us to be at...and all the rest is marketing-driven vanity? (cites Fight Club...- "is that what a man's supposed to look at?" - irony of Brad Pitt notwithstanding).

Sorry, didn't mean to insult ya there. image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-)' />

Maybe a little more detail would clear up the water. Or muddy it. Hope not.

1. Women's "natural" bodyfat percentages are in the mid-20s. It is a wide range but let's leave it at that. By "natural" I mean fertile.

2. Men's "natural" bodyfat percentages are high teens.

3. Many women (and some men) think that women look best in the high teens bodyfat percentages.

THAT'S the crux.

• Sorry, didn't mean to insult ya there. image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

Maybe a little more detail would clear up the water. Or muddy it. Hope not.

1. Women's "natural" bodyfat percentages are in the mid-20s. It is a wide range but let's leave it at that. By "natural" I mean fertile.

2. Men's "natural" bodyfat percentages are high teens.

3. Many women (and some men) think that women look best in the high teens bodyfat percentages.

THAT'S the crux.

I know, I know...I was trying to be funny...poking at my lack of "manliness"...
  • Wow thanks for all of the advice!! So I am about 5'4" 140 lbs right now. I was 127 at my wedding in 2010 and would really like to be there again (or at least fit my clothes like I did for that). I walk 45 mins a couple times a week and do a hot yoga class here and there but am considering more exercise. I definitely understand that women have more body fat than men... I just feel as though I could weigh less and still be healthy. Now when it comes to babies- actually yes Id like to be very healthy for that- in the near future. So I guess I should just be happy for now eh!! (Dave can I have your book!?) I am also a little confused about the calories thing given what Taubes says... I honestly feel as though they shouldn't be a consideration... Do you really think that they DO matter? I keep thinking I may still be eating too many carbs given that Im not really used to eating very much animal products- I likely under do it.. but Im definitely not hungry very often. Right before I switched from vegan to bulletproof I had to eat every 2 hours or I would get shaky and sweaty.. its been really nice not to experience that at all anymore. Oh and thanks about the enzymes for fats, I have been taking them loosely but will be more consistent!
  • You might be interested in this podcast as you make the switch if you haven't come across it already:

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/%E2%80%98livin%E2%80%99-la-vida-low-carb-show%E2%80%99-episode-334-former-vegan-lierre-keith-thoroughly-exposes-the-vegetarian-myth/7258

She says it took her over a year for her body to adjust after giving up vegetarianism.
  • edited May 2012
    In my opinion, the calories in calories out message the Taubes presents does have a lot of merit, and obviously Dave Asprey can eat a huge amount of calories and did so to lose weight. I don't know of many women that can eat unlimited calories like Dave does and have a six pack peeking out, especially without exercise. Perhaps I am wrong but mostly I see women trying to make this work for them. That said, we still can eat a lot of nutrient dense calories without getting OVER fat. I have been slow carb/Paleo (Paleo only the last 8 months) for a year and a half and still have to tweak and will have to calorie restrict if I want to be leaner-is it the healthiest (leaner), probably not. IMO, the best thing you can do is to focus on getting as healthy as you can and I bet your body composition will improve greatly as a result. It does take some of us longer to respond, as earlyriser pointed out, especially if we have been eating wrong for a lot of years. Also, diet can fix a lot but is not a cure all either. I am currently getting some support from a Palo doctor I found on Jimmy Moore's Low Carb Doc list. Stress, hormones, thyroid, adrenal function, digestive issues, etc can impact progress.

You are SO blessed to stumble onto this way of eating/path to health BEFORE you have children. As a mom of 3 kids with multiple challenges, I so wish I knew all this way before I got pregnant and throughout their formative years. Two of them are still home with me and switching them to Paleo has been absolutely amazing and transformative.
  • Thanks for the podcast, Ill include it in my next blog!! I can see that I am going to have to stick with it and wait it out for a bit. It's also nice to hear from a Mom (pdxhollym). I was actually planning on raising my children vegan. Can you imagine how badly I would have hurt them!! I am grateful to have this opportunity to start them off this way.