Stevia In The Get Some Icecream?

So I'm going to finally try making the get some icecream recipe, Dave says to use 80 grams of xylitol in the recipe, I want to subsittue it with stevia, but I'm assuming that you would need far less than 80 grams since stevia is naturally much too sweet (don't know how much sweeter than xylitol though since I haven't tried xyli before) so does anyone know approximately how much would I have to add stevia to the recipe to get the same results with xylitol?

Would really be appreciated.

Comments

• You really just have to experiment.

I use 1 tsp of the stevia I get in BP coffee.  So I start from there.

I make generous single portions of chocolate get some ice-cream and typically use 2 tsps of stevia (one to offset the bitterness of the Upgraded Chocolate powder + one to sweeten the ice-cream.

Seems to work (I have it almost every day)

• edited July 2013

So I'm going to finally try making the get some icecream recipe, Dave says to use 80 grams of xylitol in the recipe, I want to subsittue it with stevia, but I'm assuming that you would need far less than 80 grams since stevia is naturally much too sweet (don't know how much sweeter than xylitol though since I haven't tried xyli before) so does anyone know approximately how much would I have to add stevia to the recipe to get the same results with xylitol?

Would really be appreciated.

I don't know the answer to your question(s), but I appreciate you asking because I'm in this quandary myself. 

Xylitol, especially in large quantities, gives me the runs, so I can't eat the ice cream. Stevia agrees with my digestive tract, but I can't figure out how much of the stuff to put in the ice cream, so I've refrained from making it.

• i used stevia in my first few attempts.  what i bought came in packets.  i used something like 12 packets or something like that.  don't recall exactly, just kept blending and tasting and blending and tasting until i liked it.

what i really need to point out here, though, is that my wife didn't like the taste with the stevia.  it wasn't until i started using honey that i could consistently get her to eat it - which is the most important thing.

• OH hell yea! It's awesome without stevia but that sounds ever more awesome.

• i used stevia in my first few attempts.  what i bought came in packets.  i used something like 12 packets or something like that.  don't recall exactly, just kept blending and tasting and blending and tasting until i liked it.

what i really need to point out here, though, is that my wife didn't like the taste with the stevia.  it wasn't until i started using honey that i could consistently get her to eat it - which is the most important thing.

That's interesting. I may have to try honey, even though I'm not fond of the sugar content.

All I know is that I won't be using xylitol again.

• Thanks everyone! I guess ou basically have to keep on adding the stevia until you've reached the optimum amount, will definitely let you know how my get some icecream turns out, will be trying to make it today, thanks again!

• That's interesting. I may have to try honey, even though I'm not fond of the sugar content.

All I know is that I won't be using xylitol again.

i'd eat poptarts if i thought it would help get my wife in the mood.

• the problem with measuring stevia is that each different extract has varying amounts of sweetness to them.  i used to use a liquid extract, but when i ran out, i bought a powder cause it was purer (and less expensive).  i like it a lot, but it takes some experimentation to get the right amount in my coffee.  i haven't tackled the ice cream recipe yet, but i want some!

• I don't know the answer to your question(s), but I appreciate you asking because I'm in this quandary myself. 

Xylitol, especially in large quantities, gives me the runs, so I can't eat the ice cream. Stevia agrees with my digestive tract, but I can't figure out how much of the stuff to put in the ice cream, so I've refrained from making it.

Ii have no idea how much stevia you could use since I dont really use stevia. But, if xylitol gives you digestive issues you could use erythritol instead. It measures the same as xylitol but without the unwanted side effects.

You can also get used to using xylitol by starting with very little and ramping it up over time, it is much like MCT oil in this regard.

• i counted about 40ish drops of the whole foods brand liquid stevia. its been super tasty...still trying to figure out how to get it so it isn't rock solid in the freezer though. 

• GeijutsuGeijutsu
    edited July 2013

Ok, so I tried doing the recipe yesterday, the pros is that it was rich and creamy and just the perfect amount of coconut flavour, the cons, I might have added a little too much vitamin C which left a slight sour taste too it, also I think that even though the stevia did make it sweeter, there is still this slight "off" after taste when eating it.

So overall for a first try, I'd say that it was a conservative success, hopeully I'll get better results next time I do it.

out of topic: I have been trying to post a new topic at the general discussion section for the past 30 mintures or so with no success, I get forwarded to a captcha page for human verification after hitting the "post new topic" button, once I fill in the captcha tab, I get forwarded to the main page of the forum, tried doing it a dozen times with exactly the same results (I know the definition of insanity), anyone has any suggestion?