Fasting

Hey guys, How do you motivate yourselves to get on track after a food day where one has not had the best stuff (ie not even on bulletproof spectrum), but want to get back to do some straight fasting again? What do you do to get going again?

I have a negative way of speaking to myself and often what is referred to a dichotomous thinking. So any help would be really awesome.

thanks heaps,

kittyk

Comments

• Having an upset stomach from eating intolerable foods sometimes makes fasting easier. Sorry.... but true.
  • dpwdandpwdan
    edited May 2012
    'kitty' wrote:

Hey guys, How do you motivate yourselves to get on track after a food day where one has not had the best stuff (ie not even on bulletproof spectrum), but want to get back to do some straight fasting again? What do you do to get going again?

I have a negative way of speaking to myself and often what is referred to a dichotomous thinking. So any help would be really awesome.

thanks heaps,

kittyk

Doing a fast the next day is probably fine, but you may actually want to load up on healthy food to replenish your body...flogging yourself with a fast may just increase the negative effects of whatever you ate...but I'm not too sure on that.

I will say though that like the rest of us, those negative thoughts and negative emotions can be quite a bear to deal with. Depending on where you are with it, you may find some comfort and change in the following:

The Untethered Soul: http://www.amazon.com/The-Untethered-Soul-Journey-Yourself/dp/1572245379/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338389609&sr=1-1

and

The Happiness Trap: http://www.amazon.co...38389097&sr=1-1

Both books are very good about pointing out the how's and why's of our negative subconscious imaging and giving ways to use your pre-frontal-cortex abilities to try to rewire your relationship with your default programming.

I'd also recommend picking up some of Rick Hanson's books on CD from your local library. They are a mix of contemplative neuroscience with guided meditations to work on the same issues.

And if all that is too hippie for you; check out Julien Smith's "Flinch" available free on Kindle. Excellent book on feeling the fear and doing it anyway...
  • Its definitely true that i do feel more like fasting when i have had some bad stuff. I really badly need to lose weight. So I did a bad day today and am thinking i will do the full bp fast and try to lose as much as i can in that method. How does one keep focused?

Thanks dan i will try to look at that stuff. Its something ive struggled with for my short life and need to try to work on.

kittyk
  • 'kitty' wrote:

How does one keep focused?

Like anything else, it takes determination. There are a ton of great resources linked throughout the BP site... Some people do best with an individual coach that keeps them going and monitors progress. Others are okay going on their own or getting support from friends/family. It really comes down to knowing for yourself why you are trying to reach a certain goal or live your values in a certain way; and then consciously applying the effort day after day to live that path...and to return to that path when you trip up. But it all starts with your commitment and understanding WHY you want what you want...if you don't have that down, you'll never stick to it. It's really too much to go through in a response; but if you search through the podcasts (I recommend the "Sexification with Roger Lawson" one and the "Being Awesome with Julien Smith" for your specific Q's) and some other links and come up with some specific questions, we'll all do our best to help you keep the motivation going.
  • dan- I think it helps right now that i have exams and need to be studying. I find i am way more productive when i fast. I do have an eating disordered past, so i can obsess about food, and that is not good for me. If i do the fast and lose the necessary pounds i need to, at the same time i can learn to recognise physical hunger and psychological hunger, and also what my body really needs (eg when i crave kangaroo (yeah thats our bison down under), or when i crave something unnecessary like bready carbs). After long years of dieting, i am really not switched onto my physical signals. I read a pdf on intermittent fasting by Dr John Berardi, and he said that doing the occasional days fast will help one realise the difference between physiological and psychological hunger. Since i desperately need to lose weight (I am not obese, but not far off), I think the straight bulletproof fasting will help me get to a safer spot, and at the same time allow some time for me to figure out some signals and get more tuned in. Then i will take it a bit slower once i am in a safer place.

abqandrea- you made a comment in another thread about women struggling to lose the weight they want. I am really with you about the ideals placing unrealistic and unhealthy expectations for women in terms of body mass. I had to adopt some seriously eating disordered behaviour in order to get an 8 pack (not 6) and be super lean. I also felt horrible and had no energy, depite doing one handed push ups and one handed chinups. I want to be able to do those again, but hopefully, i wont have to be disordered in order to get there. Yes, caloric restriction is necessary to get lower, also agree with you there. But so many women spend so much time watching their weight and dieting, that to be told in the bulletproof diet you 'dont have to count calories' will likely result in many relaxing and hoping for the best with their eyes closed. Like you said, weight will not likely drop unless one does restrict caloric intake to a degree. I try to avoid talking or thinking about it too much, because it makes me really angry, but i hate the pressure put on women to be skinny. Not to be muscular, but skinny. Girls get messages from all over to be thin, family, friends, mags, tv, ads, you name it. Its really awful and plays with our heads. Not to mention that our sex hormones tell us to have a certain amount of bodyfat so we can have kids. sigh. I am at the point where i really admire the women who have NOT fallen into the diet trap but still look healthy and athletic. The numbers seem to be getting fewer though..

kittyk
  • edited June 2012
    I tend to skip breakfast, which is pretty easy and drink water/tea through out the day whenever I feel hungry until 6pm when I usually stop my fast, the first day is a bit harder tho.
    E-commerce and Webdesign Agency
    www.nowaydesign.com

Email "Bulletproof" to [email protected] and get a discount now!
  • edited June 2012
    I have little insight here because I am an extremist. I live in a house with 4 other people who eat crap food all day. There is a big jar of cookies in the kitchen, fully stocked at all times. For me my goals are not weight loss, but maximum performance, health and longevity. Eating junk food is an out right attack against my goals. If weight loss were my central goal, I could see myself succumbing to those cookies, because I could just fast for longer to to erase the damage. However, my mental performance, energy and well-being will take a hit. Maybe revisiting your goals will help you on your path.
  • But what if butter is sabotaging your goals cause it is so awesome and one is addicted to it (likely due to micronutrient defficiencies)? or is that not possible? image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />