High Uric Acid?

My latest uric acid results came back at 7.8 mg/dL, which is in the medium/high risk range. This bloodwork was done immediately prior to my wheat elimination, but I was drinking plenty of bulletproof coffee and upping my healthy fat intake. I was very encouraged by lower blood pressure and lower inflammation after eliminating wheat, but this is a pretty big blow since I only expect my fat and protein intake to increase.
  1. Should I expect to see lower uric acid levels after eliminating wheat?
  2. Are high uric acid levels typical when on the bulletproof diet?
Tagged:

Comments

• Your UA was probably elevated to begin with. Most frequently it's the result of fructose overload: sodas, juice, cakes, crackers, candies. I really don't know many gout sufferers who weren't avid soda drinkers. Since sodas also make you highly acidic, the UA + Acidity = Gout Bomb.

If you don't suffer from gout, I wouldn't be so concerned with the elevated UA; not all people with high UA get gout.

If you're concerned about the acidity, then examine your diet and see if you're consuming enough vegetables. Zero-carb or very low carb diets based heavily on meats and dairy tend to be highly acidic. If you have high UA to begin with, the acidity could push you over the edge and result in gout.
  • High uric acid on the diet, no. Eliminating wheat and fructose will lower uric acid, unless you have a fungal infection, which can keep it high regardless.
  • When I was a strict vegan many years ago, I had a blood analysis and was told that I have high levels of uric acid, the practitioner said that I must be a heavy meat eater, which I thought was hilarious. I was not eating any processed sugar other than lots of fruit and dried fruits and I KNOW that was the cause of it.
  • I recently had gout due to high uric acid (the pain was terrible.) at the time I was eating a lot of meat ,drinking two bottles of coke zero a day and not drinking much water.

I read somewhere that when you eat a lot of meat you should drink plenty of water and I have definitely read about associations between soda and gout.

Since I have quit the soda and drank more water I have been fine. Though here in the UK we don't get tested regularly for uric acid. My dr will only test me again if I have another gout attack.

• edited August 2012
    Since BP is all about biohacking, I'll share something I learned long before I got into BP. Note: I have allergies to 11 major foods, which include most of your major carbs and common food stuffs (wheat, corn, soy, potato, peanut, etc) and accidentally discovered I *have* to eat BP in order to avoid some serious pain and suffering. I also had my first bout with the gout about a year or so ago.. and managed to fix it.

I've been dropping weight since going on the diet (20lbs since february), and occasionally have some twinges that I take care of using the following (copied from a gout forum post I made on another forum)

Ok... after suffering some pretty acute attacks, I finally found a simple combo that alleviates symptoms BEFORE another attack.

I am not a doctor (so you may want to talk to yours first), but this was more of an accidental discovery + some internet searching:

Mucinex (600 or 1200 12-hour formula)

2g of vitamin C (2 1000 mg tablets)

Plenty of water.

Start adding a lot of veggies and Romaine lettuce to your diet.

Take twice a day for a few days, stop and see if you can stop taking. A few times, I've had to take for a week or more. Now, I just start taking when I see the red spot show on the side of my joints.

see:

http://en.wikipedia....eatment_of_gout

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21671418

My hypothesis:

I read an article or two discussing how the body uses uric acid as an antioxidant since humans can't make vitamin C. So my guess is that we're overproducing UA to compensate for some kind of oxidizing stress (like that big ol' steak you had last night).. and putting C in either makes the ph friendly to dissolving the crystals, or just gives the body something better to use. The Guaifenesin then helps scrub the extra UA out through the kidneys... using time-release helps it work all day, while you flush your system with plenty of water.

The Romaine was an accidental discovery since learning (blood tests and dietary exclusion) that I'm allergic to wheat, and started wrapping hotdogs with lettuce. I noticed I didn't flare up with the addition of a lot more lettuce and veggies to my diet.

Sharing what I've learned. Your mileage may vary. See a doctor.. etc.
  • Elevated uric acid is also a marker of insulin resistence and potential diabetes risk. The BP diet certainly will take care of those issues, but if it remains hi you may want to check random post prandial sugars to make sure they are not elevated. If they are elevated, then mos def keep to low carb end of the diet.
  • Thanks for the input. I have a patient that has gout and high uric acid that seems resistant to whatever we have tried.
  • I am currently fight a pretty bad gout attack. I am trying everything from drinking baking soda, epsom salt soaks,  to medications.   I am really trying to stay on the natural "hacks".  Does anyone else have any suggestions? I have read that MCT oil can help.  However, it seems MCT oil by default is made of acids, wouldn't that make increase my body's acidity? appreciate any input.  :oops:

• Dan are you taking colchicine?  I know you want to stick to natural stuff but that is the only thing that has ever worked for me.  My doc said to take one every hour until your stomach gets too upset, which sounds like horrid advice but it takes the edge off....which sounds like what you are battling..

• I recently started taking Curcumin and soon after I started taking it,I got another attack of gout after being clear for one year.

Upon further research, I found that Curcumin reduces Uric Acid Levels in the blood.

Two years ago, I started taking Allopurinol and i remember the doctor saying that this uric acid reducing drug

could actually kick off a round of gout because the lower uric acid levels in the blood. this is due to the fact that lower uric acid in the bloodstream will start leaching

the uric acid crystals out of the joint, exposing them to the body (once again) and causing the resultant inflammatory response.

My conclusion is: Curcumin works.

I need to follow up with a blood test to see what my uric acid levels happen to be.

Other natural  remedies are:

black cherry concentrate (pill form to avoid sugar)

celery seed extract

I've also found that Nexium for acid reflux  can raise uric acid levels... 

Using probiotics, i was able to get off the Nexium almost from the first pill.

I believe gout, like any other disease has many factors that go into producing it in your body. Therefore, there are many things that need to be done

to try to stop it. 

In summary:

stop acid reflux meds with probiotics

take curcumin, black cherry and celery

get blood tests to monitor uric acid levels to see what works

drink water  

test your kidney's for function

avoid refined sugar at the very least

• I just found out yesterday that I have high Uric Acid also and wanted to start following the BP diet more strictly but was worried when I read the diet the doctor handed me.  I am really glad I read these posts!  I am living outside the country but visiting next week.  I will stock up on some a few months of these suggested supplements, plus MCT oil, and try this first before taking the list of drugs the doctor gave me!  Really interested in the Black Cherry concentrate.  Lots of good reviews on this!

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Following BP for more than 2 years. Uric acid normal.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• My husband is the poster child for clean BP eating and seldom drinks alcohol. He loves sweating it out in the gym sauna but drinks plenty of water after. He is not overweight. He takes non-diuretic bp meds and statins - I force 100mgs of CoQ10 on him daily. What other meds/supplements could be causing his attack? Bromelain doesn't seem to help and if cherry extract worked, no one would be suffering from gout! Please help.

• @BigAtticHouse said:
    Since BP is all about biohacking, I'll share something I learned long before I got into BP. Note: I have allergies to 11 major foods, which include most of your major carbs and common food stuffs (wheat, corn, soy, potato, peanut, etc) and accidentally discovered I have to eat BP in order to avoid some serious pain and suffering. I also had my first bout with the gout about a year or so ago.. and managed to fix it.

I've been dropping weight since going on the diet (20lbs since february), and occasionally have some twinges that I take care of using the following (copied from a gout forum post I made on another forum)

Ok... after suffering some pretty acute attacks, I finally found a simple combo that alleviates symptoms BEFORE another attack.

I am not a doctor (so you may want to talk to yours first), but this was more of an accidental discovery + some internet searching:

Mucinex (600 or 1200 12-hour formula)

2g of vitamin C (2 1000 mg tablets)

Plenty of water.

Start adding a lot of veggies and Romaine lettuce to your diet.

Take twice a day for a few days, stop and see if you can stop taking. A few times, I've had to take for a week or more. Now, I just start taking when I see the red spot show on the side of my joints.

see:

http://en.wikipedia....eatment_of_gout

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21671418

My hypothesis:

I read an article or two discussing how the body uses uric acid as an antioxidant since humans can't make vitamin C. So my guess is that we're overproducing UA to compensate for some kind of oxidizing stress (like that big ol' steak you had last night).. and putting C in either makes the ph friendly to dissolving the crystals, or just gives the body something better to use. The Guaifenesin then helps scrub the extra UA out through the kidneys... using time-release helps it work all day, while you flush your system with plenty of water.

The Romaine was an accidental discovery since learning (blood tests and dietary exclusion) that I'm allergic to wheat, and started wrapping hotdogs with lettuce. I noticed I didn't flare up with the addition of a lot more lettuce and veggies to my diet.

Sharing what I've learned. Your mileage may vary. See a doctor.. etc.

• Try rubbing cbd oil on the painful swollen area it helps a ton.

• Bad: carbs, alcohol, sugar.
    Good:water, fish, fibrous veggies and berries.
    Supps: fish oil (anti-inflam.) + activated charcoal (detox).
    Also helpful: magnesium + potassium from citrate.