Chili Pad For Sleep Hacking?

edited June 2012 in Sleep Hacking
There is a great quantified self talk that talks a lot about sleep hacking here:

http://quantifiedself.com/2012/05/sky-christopherson-on-the-quantified-athlete/

One of the things that Sky references having a huge impact on the quality of his sleep is the chili pad:

http://www.chilitechnology.com/

Has anyone else used this?

Comments

• I want one badly! I actually spoke at the same QS meetup with Sky and ended up talking about the Chilipad with him a bit. My wife preferes a big duvet which I refer to as the "fire blanket". If only I hadn't just splurged on a whole body vibration plate...
  • edited June 2012
    I sprang for the chilipad and the "Chili Cloud" pillow (which is essentially a tempurpedic pillow with a gel insert). The combo has led to some very good nights of sleep in the past week for my wife and me. My Zeo mobile is acting up so i haven't been able to empirically validate it, but we both feel considerably more refreshed from our sleep.

Bill, my wife also favors a huge duvet, and i'm finding that it's really nice to have the heavy blanket over me with the chilipad set around 64 degrees. In the past i've slept with just a sheet, which is comfortable until the middle of the night when i wake up cold (from my home's hvac and the natural temperature drop from sleep). The heavier blanket seems to solve that.

The chilipad seems to be the important part of this equation; the pillow is a bit more comfortable than the buckwheat husk pillow i had been using but doesn't seem to be as important as the chilipad.

I don't want to overstate my results, but this seems to be so effective that i'm less reliant on caffeine during the day.

One thing that is annoying about the machine: light from the temperature display which I worry could affect melatonin production. Easily solved with a little strip of fabric laid on top of the display, but it's silly that they didn't think this through better!

It looks like this is going to be a keeper, so now I need to figure out how to hide the cooling units within the bedroom decor while still allowing them ventilation.If I can get the Zeo mobile functioning again i'll give an update.
  • Any more updates on your chilipad. Been thinking about getting one. What model have you got?

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• Any more updates on your chilipad. Been thinking about getting one. What model have you got?

@katolotus: I got the two zone mattress pad: http://www.chilitechnology.com/shop/chilipad-cooling-heating-mattress-pad/

After 7 months of use, my wife and I both really like it, though there is a soft glow from the sides of the machine (seperate from the temperature display issue I detailed above) that is annoying when you're trying to make your bedroom as dark as possible.  All in all though, we're very satisfied with our purchase - when I travel on business I miss being able to have granular control over the temperature of my bed!  

• katolotuskatolotus ✭✭✭

You think it could be used in conjunction with an earthing mat. Been thinking about getting one or the other, but ideally both. Expensive additions though.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Katolotus - for sure, you could use it in conjunction with an earthing mat.  But I think a simple wristband might be more comfortable to sleep with for earthing.  Dave indicated same on the latest Q&A podcast, and I don't find sleeping on an earthing mat all that comfortable.  

As an update for everyone - still using the chili pad religiously a year later.  I've even been toying with the idea of a temperature controlled office chair: http://www.tempronics.com/products.html

• How you getting on with the strap. from my basic knowledge, they need to be plugged into an earth, which means a wire connected to your wrist. Not ideal while you're sleeping. I've got a couple to test, but found in early tests that the straps don't reduce my bodies earth much.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• I got one. Not perfect, but still worth the $400 for better sleep.  My biggest sleep problem has always been that I would wake up after 5-6 hours because my body heat had warmed the bed to the point that it wakes me up. This has the potential to fix that though I'm still working out the best way to use it. The "Auto Mode" is useless, and the Timer Mode is of limited use... I'd like to be able to set it at a certain temp when I go to sleep, and then have it automatically change to a different temp after a set number of hours, but it isn't smart enough to do that... 

It does make some noise. I push it as far under the bed as possible (limited by tube length) and that helps, but you can still hear it.  Even through earplugs, you can still hear it a little. The vibrations go through the floor and up into the bed, and that's actually what you "hear" when you put your head on the pillow.  I'm going to try sitting it on a vibration damping pad to see if that helps. But don't let that scare you off, overall the noise really isn't that bad. 

• Don't you use background noise like pzizz or asleep app to drown it out. I use them and my rooms fairly quiet.

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

• Personally I like white noise (I live in an urban environment) and use a white noise machine in addition to the slight noise that that chili pad generates.

• I have one and felt compelled to comment since It seems that their customer service is apparently non existent and the units ar very fragile and tend to break. I’d suggest reading the reviews on Amazon as they very consistently say the same thing. I ordered mine direct and I did love it while it worked. After 4 months the connector broke and water won’t stay in unit so it doesn’t work. Customer service is never available by phone apparently. I’ve never reached a live person just a recording which tells you to email them. After emailing I received an auto reply about the heavy volume of complaints and that it woul take 5 business days to respond. I still haven’t heard anything. It shouldn’t be this hard and the company should stick by their product. All That said, it seems like a solid company could come in and design a product that is more durable and maintain their customer service department and do very well because it’s a great idea and works great until it breaks