Less Sleep = Aging Faster?

I say this with all respect for Dave's scientific approach and profoundly useful insights; and as a repeat customer of BP coffee, whey, and Friedlander's products:

To me, Dave looks much older than 39. Specifically, I cite sagging eyelids.

I'm skeptical about systemic benefits from an average sleep time below what just feels comfortable at ~8 hours. But I don't know much about the subject... I just see a smart guy who looks quite a bit older than he is, and I wonder if it has anything to do with sleeping 5 hours a night; because it sure isn't due to his eating a very healthy diet.

Maybe it's just genetics combined with Dave's unusually unhealthy state in his 20s; and sleeping hacking (done right) should not accelerate aging for most people.

Just curious if anyone else noticed this apparent contradiction...

Comments

• edited June 2012
    'Sean' wrote:

I say this with all respect for Dave's scientific approach and profoundly useful insights; and as a repeat customer of BP coffee, whey, and Friedlander's products:

To me, Dave looks much older than 39. Specifically, I cite sagging eyelids.

I'm skeptical about systemic benefits from an average sleep time below what just feels comfortable at ~8 hours. But I don't know much about the subject... I just see a smart guy who looks quite a bit older than he is, and I wonder if it has anything to do with sleeping 5 hours a night; because it sure isn't due to his eating a very healthy diet.

Maybe it's just genetics combined with Dave's unusually unhealthy state in his 20s; and sleeping hacking (done right) should not accelerate aging for most people.

Just curious if anyone else noticed this apparent contradiction...

Have you ever been heavy before? As a formerly heavy person I can see that some things are the same, but look different because of how much fat someone is carrying - a skill I honed on myself, and especially note when I see befores and afters :}

Anyway, to my sight I see that his eyelids are the same in all 3, just plumped up or not depending on weight. I would be willing to bet money its a familial feature, because his daughter has the same eyes as he on their cupcake blog.

And hell, I cant tell how old anyone is by looking at them anymore. 10 year olds look 25 and I want to ask my new doctors if I can talk with their mama. :}
  • "Healthy aging seems to be connected with reductions in the sleep duration and depth necessary to preserve daytime alertness," the scientists said in a statement.
  • i disagree that he looks older than 39. maybe there is the expectation that he should look much younger than his age. it also seems that Dave's early health history was pretty problematic. he probably wouldn't have learned how to fight back so hard if it hadn't been. by the time his kids are 39 though i think aging will be a thing of the past.