Consolidated Cooking Methods And Daily Meals

Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
edited January 2014 in Recipes

After reading what to eat on bulletproof a lot of people begin searching for ways to cook their meats, what daily meals to eat, and a basic routine to get into to begin living this lifestyle.  I am going to share my methods and routines based on my routines of doing this diligently for the last 7 months with 60 lbs lost and feeling/looking the best I have in over a decade. I have vitamins I could add in to be better and I am not perfect in any way I would still take suggestions and fix anything I can this is just what I do!

Wake 1 tsp of salt with 20 oz of water.

8:00 am - 3 tbs of coffee with 4 tbs of butter and 2 tbs of mct oil in a 24 oz cup.

then take vitamins with the coffee:

krill oil

k2

d3

c-1000

l-glutathione

b1

alpha lipoic acid

nac

(I don't always take my vitamins, some days I skip for this myth or fact of letting the body not get used to or overloaded with the same vitamins)

2:00 pm - 3 poached eggs, 4 slices of bacon, 1 whole avocado.

7-8pm - steak or salmon or ground beef or lamb and assorted veggies steamed covered in butter with salt.

Cooking methods:

Poached eggs - http://youtu.be/UMiCy8EH1go?t=13s

Bacon - Pan: Put heat on low and cook until slightly done, then flip over and cook for a bit longer.  Let bacon only just start to get crispy. Drain and save bacon fat for later cooking and enjoy.

Ground beef - thin layer of water in saucepan, set to low, cover and flip over when bottom half is turning brown. cook till done then drain, season accordingly.

Steak - Same exact way as ground beef.

Salmon - (took this from another bp poster ty!)  1 tbs of butter and 1 tbs of coconut oil in a pan, set on a little over low, skin side down cook for 6-7 mins then flip over and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.  Peel the skin and enjoy!

Sweet potatoes - Pan: cut into pieces, then 1 tbs of butter and 1 tbs coconut oil, cook on low covered in a saucepan stirring occasionally until tender.

Low on bp scale- Bake: 375 degrees for 50 minutes, poke holes in the sweet potato and place on cooking sheet first.  voila.

Boil: Peel sweet potatoes, cutting them into smaller chunks. Boiling them for ~5-15'ish mins (or until your spoon goes through them easily), then blending them up with some butter (and a bit of water). Makes it easy to portion out, and great for smoothies / shaker cup.

Veggies: Steam or boil, you can saute as well with grassfed butter and or coconut oil.

I will be updating this and posting other methods for each category with all your help peoples!  Each method should be short and sweet or provide a link if its too long please! Also of course methods be BP.

Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.

Comments

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Great post, mate. People probably need this.

I've got an experiment for you, Judo....

Get a bunch of asparagus and split them in half. 

Cook both halves on the same temperature for the same time.

Half 1, cook in water.

Half 2, cook in butter.

Tell me what you think of the flavour difference... I prefer some veggies cooked on low in fats, like most french cooking. It retains a lot of the original flavour. Haven't seen any studies on retaining nutrient content though. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast
    edited July 2013

When I cook my veggies in butter they become limper and more um, dead looking.  Which common sense not science leads me to believe that they are worse off then steaming or boiling.  However, when I boil carrots and/or broccoli the water is orange and green which means its leeching into the water.  One thing I thought of is if I eat the fats that I cook my veggies in I feel like at some point some of the fats became oxidized or are part bad fats in some way which over time will add up.  So I prefer to steam and just add butter later.  However when using leeks with my sweet potato in a pan I like to use coconut oil and butter.  But I honestly think I can just cook both in water. Actually I am going to try to cover and cook in a thin layer of water the leaks and sweet potatoes on low to see how it comes out.  I could steam it but I want the flavor of the leeks to get into the potatoes.

Be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy. You are the only person who will always truly be there for you.
  • I can contribute, here's what I do:

breakfast is bp coffee (500ml with 2 tbsp mct oil and about 3tbsp organic butter)

around 3pm I eat lunch

5pm eat half a can of salmon w apple cider vinegar.

630 dinner.

Now dinner is 1/3 lb of ground beef crumbled in salad which is 2 cups broccoli, 2 green onions, 1 tomato, 1 avocado.  Where this gets interesting is my salad dressing.  I have used mct oil and hot sauce, stir fry mixes shaken in apple cider vinegar and olive oil etc.  As a basic approach I make a salad like I used to make a stir fry and this allows me to eat the same vegetables, meat and oil content an only alter the seasoning.  I have lately for dinner mixed in teh olive oil 1tsp cumin 1tbsp coriander(ground) 1tsp garlic (crushed) and 1tsp minced ginger and a few dashes of cayanne pepper.  Suddenly your salad has the flavours of a Hakka stir fry.

• Great post!  You meals and cooking methods are very similar to mine.  I still can't handle steaks cooked in a layer of water, I BBQ them on low heat.

• agreed, great post! i have been looking for some cooking methods to hold me over until i buy Dave's cookbook.

question - "Ground beef - thin layer of water in saucepan, set to low, cover and flip over when bottom half is turning brown." how do you flip over ground beef? oh, do you mean while it is in patty form? but what if it is all broken up such as for browning?

Patrick Graham

You should visit my website here.

• Samir aka JudoSamir aka Judo The Grass-Fed Beast

thanks!  With the ground beef is, let cook in patty form but spread it out over the pan, then you can break it up with a spatula and turn it over.  Then break it up more but not too much or it gets mushy.  that's it!

• Great post. It would be great to see the routines of others.
  • 8am-ish fill up my 40oz water bottle. drink most of it and hang out until the bowels start to move.

finish the water by mixing the last 8 oz or so with salt. add vitamin d3 to the very last bit

inevitable bowel movement (when things are running smooth!)

8:30-ish   basic vitamins/supplements as recommended on this forum (see the supplement thread!)

9am-ish BP coffee, 1 scoop of beans, 2 tbs butter, 1 (often overflowing) tbs of mct oil. maybe add vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and/or stevia (skip or postpone if i'll be training or doing yoga early)

between noon and 2pm - lunchtime!: blended concoction consisting of some or all of these ingredients: some type of greens, mostly kale or spinach, about a handful or two, steamed. freshly grated organic ginger. a random amount of upgraded vanilla. stevia. coconut milk (1/3rd to 1/2 of the can). sambazon acai (unsweetened) OR aronia berry extract (farmed locally!). 1-2tbs of butter (just cause butter rocks). 1/2 or 1 whole avocado. add some ice if it doesn't seem cold enough. maybe some upgraded chocolate. blend all of that. add whey (just got some natural grocers whey concentrate, diggin it so far!). at the end add in either a handful of frozen raspberries (although now dave is talking about the benefits of blueberries?! i might have to switch it up sometime), and/or a broken up chocolate bar. 

or if i'm out and don't have time for all that craziness: some kale chips, an avocado, protein bar (quest bar or tanka bar), or a salad of some sort, or leftover soup from one of the upgraded chef recipes. i've found that those blended soups are more awesome when you leave half of the veggies in there whole, and sometimes taste even better cold (maybe just cause its summertime). 

dinner between 5pm and ideally before 8pm, but at LEAST before 9pm: a fuckton of green veggies with a buttload of fat. grassfed beef patty or steak with salt and herbs, or salmon, or poached eggs. a sweet potato if it seems necessary. also take krill oil, vitamin A, and vitamin C

dessert? if i have the time and inclination.. "get some" ice cream and/or ginger sweet potato brownies as posted on these forums. or for a quick snack: chocolate with some butter and maybe some other flavoring on it (salt, or stevia, or vanilla, or ginger). or a quest bar with a slice of butter and flavoring on it. 

bedtime by 11pm or midnight...take some magnesium and potassium. starting to experiment with the raw honey and mct oil. 

• 8am-ish fill up my 40oz water bottle. drink most of it and hang out until the bowels start to move.

finish the water by mixing the last 8 oz or so with salt. add vitamin d3 to the very last bit

inevitable bowel movement (when things are running smooth!)

8:30-ish   basic vitamins/supplements as recommended on this forum (see the supplement thread!)

9am-ish BP coffee, 1 scoop of beans, 2 tbs butter, 1 (often overflowing) tbs of mct oil. maybe add vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and/or stevia (skip or postpone if i'll be training or doing yoga early)

between noon and 2pm - lunchtime!: blended concoction consisting of some or all of these ingredients: some type of greens, mostly kale or spinach, about a handful or two, steamed. freshly grated organic ginger. a random amount of upgraded vanilla. stevia. coconut milk (1/3rd to 1/2 of the can). sambazon acai (unsweetened) OR aronia berry extract (farmed locally!). 1-2tbs of butter (just cause butter rocks). 1/2 or 1 whole avocado. add some ice if it doesn't seem cold enough. maybe some upgraded chocolate. blend all of that. add whey (just got some natural grocers whey concentrate, diggin it so far!). at the end add in either a handful of frozen raspberries (although now dave is talking about the benefits of blueberries?! i might have to switch it up sometime), and/or a broken up chocolate bar. 

or if i'm out and don't have time for all that craziness: some kale chips, an avocado, protein bar (quest bar or tanka bar), or a salad of some sort, or leftover soup from one of the upgraded chef recipes. i've found that those blended soups are more awesome when you leave half of the veggies in there whole, and sometimes taste even better cold (maybe just cause its summertime). 

dinner between 5pm and ideally before 8pm, but at LEAST before 9pm: a fuckton of green veggies with a buttload of fat. grassfed beef patty or steak with salt and herbs, or salmon, or poached eggs. a sweet potato if it seems necessary. also take krill oil, vitamin A, and vitamin C

dessert? if i have the time and inclination.. "get some" ice cream and/or ginger sweet potato brownies as posted on these forums. or for a quick snack: chocolate with some butter and maybe some other flavoring on it (salt, or stevia, or vanilla, or ginger). or a quest bar with a slice of butter and flavoring on it. 

bedtime by 11pm or midnight...take some magnesium and potassium. starting to experiment with the raw honey and mct oil. 

i am sipping on some water mixed with pink Himalayan salt, and i have to admit it does NOT taste good.

i do the chocolate with butter thing periodically, and it is GOOOOOO-OOD!

Patrick Graham

You should visit my website here.

• Im really dtruggling with the water in the pan.
    • basically you are boiling your meat. The low heat and no sear. I know the downside of high heat but I am struggling to keep the heat down. I just dont find boiled meat very tasty.
    • No texture

Working on it

• I cant stomach boiled steak...seems wrong! BUT..You can try doing steaks in the oven. Let them come to room temp before putting them on the pan...wrap with bacon or add a cut leek on top, or pineapple then roast at 250-300 depending on oven until they are about as done as you like them. I have also done burgers like this...patty, pineapple bacon wrapped and they take about 20 minutes. I do this on my carb reload days where a bit of starch and sugar aren't a big deal.

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• I took a Coursera on molecular gastronomy over the summer and have a few comments about food flavor:

(1) Vegetables in oil vs. water: Some flavor compounds are oil-soluble, and some are water-soluble. The ones in asparagus are oil-soluble, so cooking it on low heat in ghee or another stable fat will bring out the flavor as the oils in the asparagus mingle with the oil.

(2) I know that throwing uncooked shrimp in a plain brine (1 tsp salt to 1 cup water) for 15 minutes will make its meat plumper if it is cooked in boiling water from the Coursera I took. It was one of our homework assignments. It stands to reason that this is something that might be common to meats. How about brining the meat in water, or at least mixing it with a reasonable amount of salt, before cooking it? It probably wouldn't hurt, and if it helps ... hey. :)

Dave has mentioned on his podcasts a few times that molecular gastronomists have diverged from biohackers in that the molecular gastronomists pursue the peaks of flavor over the peaks of health, to put it kindly. I still think that there is a lot to learn from scientific cooking techniques. I saw Nathan Myhrvold give a talk in Boston back in February, and it was mind-blowing.

-- Kaye

• My suggestion yesterday: 

(2) I know that throwing uncooked shrimp in a plain brine (1 tsp salt to 1 cup water) for 15 minutes will make its meat plumper if it is cooked in boiling water from the Coursera I took. It was one of our homework assignments. It stands to reason that this is something that might be common to meats. How about brining the meat in water, or at least mixing it with a reasonable amount of salt, before cooking it? It probably wouldn't hurt, and if it helps ... hey. :)

I added 1/4 tsp of salt (RealSalt tastes very salty) to 1.5 lbs of ground beef and mashed it all together, then waited fifteen minutes while the beef rested at room temperature. I heated a small amount of water in my GreenPan and added the beef in a single layer over low heat, and then I added a lid. I proceeded as usual in the flipping and crumbling of the beef. In less than ten minutes, I had beautiful ground beef with amazing texture. I tossed it with some fennel pesto and avocado. So. Good.

-- Kaye

• Samir - Your Sweet Potato recipe isn't Bulletproof. 375 for 50 mins.... 350 is BP green zone max.

A recommendation that Jason gave to me - Peeling sweet potatoes, cutting them into smaller chunks. Boiling them for ~5-15'ish mins (or until your spoon goes through them easily), then blending them up with some butter (and a bit of water). Makes it easy to portion out, and great for smoothies / shaker cup.