I Want To Bulletproof My Yorkie

has any body tried to BP their pet ?

i wanna stop giving my dog that shitty ass food

any idea on where to start ?

thank you

Comments

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

Make sure it only eats grass. That way, when you come to "harvest" the animal, it will have more omega-3s for you.

No sorcery, just science. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    edited July 2013

Yorkies are not bulletproof ;-)

yorkie.jpg

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    edited July 2013

But for a serious answer... Their diets are totally different to humans so you'll have to research what ratios of food groups to provide.

Get to your local butcher and get real meat for the dog. Grass fed cuts of meat that humans don't really want. The tough cuts. Plus get organ meat (esp. liver) and especially some fresh bones. Do that and give up the canned dog food - that stuff is made of meat that is beyond safe for consumption, plus who knows what else!

• edited July 2013

Liver etc and other organs are good for humans as well, it has high levels of vitamins and something that Dave says should be part of weekly diet. I have heard him mention that he feeds his dog GF chuck.

• We buy grain free dog food, which is easy to come by.

In addition we give them a teaspoon of (lower quality than Upgraded) mct oil.  It's been great for the shine and shedding of their fur.  It took their poop about a week to adjust but it's been all good since then. :-)

• Make sure it only eats grass. That way, when you come to "harvest" the animal, it will have more omega-3s for you.

Yorkies are not bulletproof :wink:

yorkie.jpg

you guys are funny , i really lough out loud hahaha

Liver etc and other organs are good for humans as well, it has high levels of vitamins and something that Dave says should be part of weekly diet. I have heard him mention that he feeds his dog GF chuck.

But for a serious answer... Their diets are totally different to humans so you'll have to research what ratios of food groups to provide.

Get to your local butcher and get real meat for the dog. Grass fed cuts of meat that humans don't really want. The tough cuts. Plus get organ meat (esp. liver) and especially some fresh bones. Do that and give up the canned dog food - that stuff is made of meat that is beyond safe for consumption, plus who knows what else!

We buy grain free dog food, which is easy to come by.

In addition we give them a teaspoon of (lower quality than Upgraded) mct oil.  It's been great for the shine and shedding of their fur.  It took their poop about a week to adjust but it's been all good since then. :smile:

Im going to look for grain free food, that sounds like a great alternative. I heard about olive oil for their fur , mct seams a better choice.

I love liver i should have it more often for sure. 

GF Chuck is a good idea , some times i buy chuck that is impossible to chew , i bet this little guy will have fun with it.

Also he loves veggies so im gonna start cooking some veggies for him as well 

Thank you so much guys, i appreciate your help

• There's two commonly used models for the more species-appropriate feeding of dogs. One is BARF, which includes vegetables, and the other is prey-model raw, which tries to emulate the diet that wolves or wild dogs would eat in the wild. It's not quite as simple as just giving your dog raw meat, bones and organs... You need to try to get the ratios right. In prey-model raw the aim is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other organs (rotate spleen, kidney etc. weekly, for example). Also, the majority of the meat should be red meat rather than chicken etc. But fish is OK occasionally too.

Of course, the more you can feed whole animals, the easier it is because then you hit that ratio between meat, bone and organs more easily. Unfortunately the only whole animals I can easily get my hands on here are frozen quail, but my two boston terriers absolutely love them. 

I did the prey-model raw for a few months but now I'm feeding premium dry dog food mixed with grilled liver most days and maybe one week out of every month, I feed them quail.

There's tons of information on both BARF and prey-model raw online. For prey-model raw, the Raw Food Diet forum at dogster.com is a pretty good starting point. Good luck!

• As others have mentioned, Raw all the way, in the form of meat, offal, bones.  Don't forget the bones. Avoid commercial pet food at all costs, far too many grains (normally the first ingredient on the list, considering the darn thing actually looks like meat).

Suzie

• Give the dog real food (ie, stuff you'd be comfortable eating yourself) and, ideally, toss in some extra nutes (creatine, u3's, etc).  Contrary to prior sentiments about 'dialing in the ratios', just try to gauge what's appropriate for YOUR dog, based on health/activity/age/etc.  It's almost humorous hearing the concept of, and attempts to define, the 'ideal' human diet; it's laughable to try and apply such line of thought to a domesticated animal that's been selectively bred from a wolf to a toy-dog in such a short time (I guess the short answer would be that your yorkie is not, and cannot, be bulletproof, by virtue of his breed ;) )