Newborn Baby

I have a one month old and got on the bp diet a couple months after I found out my wife got pregnant, I wanted to figure out nutrition for my little girl.

In a few months we will begin introducing solid food and i was wondering if anyone has any tips on what are the best foods to introduce to a baby.

I've been to thepaleomom.com and she has some recommendations, but I wanted to check with BP people as this diet seems more optimal then paleo, thanks

Comments

• edited July 2013

If you haven't already read it, your absolute first step would be to read Dave's Better Baby book (it's on bulletproof.com and Amazon for Kindle). It does focus a lot on what to do BEFORE the pregnancy, but you get the valuable insight into why this is done and can apply that to other situations as well. He does of course cover plenty in what to do after the baby is born as well.

Also check out Paleohack's podcast with Dave called Babies and Biohacking where he gives quite a good rundown of is book and talks about some additional things too: http://blog.paleohacks.com/dave-asprey/

I'm sure some of the other members will have some great suggestions for you, but I think Dave's book will by far be your best and most reliable source for information.

• I have bought and read the better baby book, it mainly focuses on before conception and on mama's diet.  

I'll check out the podcast..  I may have already heard it, I've been a BP junky listening to anything I can get my hands on.

Thanks for the reply, I just haven't heard any advice from Dave on first foods and was curious; otherwise I'd just go with the pureed veggies and normal stuff.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Breast milk is the number one BP food for a baby. We had our daughter on it until she self weaned at about 16 months.

Other than that, we started on organic rice powder (Holle brand) that you mix with breast milk into a paste so they recognise the taste of it, just to get started on solid food. After that, puréed apple, pear etc (just chop up and boil in a little water then blend).

There are certain foods they can't eat until they're older, like honey can cause botulism so wait until >1 year old.

Just do a search about how old should a baby be to eat x before you feed it to them. We also only added a new ingredient every 3-4 days in the morning so we could see any allergic reactions. And everything is freshly made at home either at meal time or made in a big batch and frozen. It's a bit more effort but totally worth it!

Congrats mate, now go check out the sleep hacking ;-)
  • pharmaceuticalpharmaceutical âž³
    edited July 2013

congratulations!

i'd give serious consideration to baby-led weaning if you haven't already, the time and energy spent preparing food for them can be significant. my niece's first solid was steak  :cool:

• There's quite a bit of research suggesting that meat and egg yolks might be the way to go rather than grains as far as first solid foods go. For example, in Canada they came out with new guidelines in 2012 that suggested weaning with meat. You can find articles on those recommendations online.

I also like this article on the Weston A Price website: http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/nourishing-a-growing-baby

• expecting a newborn soon and my wife plans to breast feed.  We are also planning to use "baby-led weaning" when it is time to introduce solids.

I've heard Dave mention before that a frozen stick of grassfed butter is good for teething! 

We are also planning to use "baby-led weaning" when it is time to introduce solids.

=====

Solids come in after only a couple of months. I hope you keep breastfeeding longer than that, they can have solids AND breastmilk for quite a while which is the best way IMO.

• Ok here goes as this can be quite a contentious issue.  Here is what we did and what I cover off in my weaning workshops.

Breastmilk (ideally) is the main source of nutrition till at least 1 year old

First foods

Egg yolks (not the white). we started at 5 months as she was ready - you can mix with breastmilk to get a smoother less dry consistency

Raw grated organic liver (previously frozen for 14 days), this we grated onto the egg yolk - she loved this.

A little bit of sea salt, on the egg yolks.  We have gone crazy with 'guidelines' to restrict salt intake in kids, that is table salt, sea salt is especially important for a developing brain.

Next we moved onto pureed meats, chicken, beef, lamb, the lot really.  Got her used to this.

Then we moved onto well cooked vegetables, babies can't break down the veggies like adults can, so they must be very well cooked and always served up with some good fats (coconut oil or grass fed butter).

Next we introduced cooked fruits, same as a above, raw fruits are too hard to digest (7-9 months).

before the likes of puree machines and ice cube trays and recipe books, just like birds, a mother would prechew baby's food to help baby digest it as up until the age of 24 months they don't a fully functioning digestive system to break down carbohydrates.  Hence avoiding grains till at least 2 years or not at all a do it BP style.

Hope that helps, a lot of it is inline with BP and also Weston Price.

the only supplement we added was Green Pastures Cod Liver Oil and Butter Blend which thankfully she licks off the spoon as it is pretty revolting.

Good luck

Suzie

• BLW is great too, however most the food ends up on the floor, so with BLW you must make sure you are not reducing baby's milk intake at the same time (and get a dog, that really helps) :)

• thank you everyone for the advice.  My baby is 6 weeks old, so I have some time to figure out these things.  I sincerely appreciate all the advice.

Her pic here: http://500px.com/photo/40545964

Lots of mama milk now, then some of your suggestions when we feel the time is right (there are some conflicting opinions...  recent study says 4-5 months, Chris Kresser says not before 6 months)

The whole reason I started going BP was my baby, I knew when I saw her ultra sound that I had to figure out this nutrition thing.  That was back in November and I've lost 5 pounds a month since then and have had amazing results with other health conditions.  I've got mama about 75% on board, but as I'm sure as a lot of you understand, food is sacred to people and can be very personal and emotional.  So I'm trying to approach these subjects softly and respectfully.

Cheers

• With all due respect I would highly be against BP diet for an infant. An infant doesn't have the capabilities to properly process meat. You might want to go to a naturopathic doctor who has experiences with dealing with children. Cooked animal protein is very difficult to digest. Btw congratulations. You might be interested in Dr Bronner's organic soap which the only soap I use due to harsh chemicals in other soap.
  • A baby's digestive system is much more equipped with the enzymes to digest fats and proteins (hence why breast milk is the perfect first food). They are able to digest meats better than carbohydrates. They don't produce the level of amylase required to digest carbohydrates as adults can. It can take up to 2 years for their digestive system to produce the required amounts to digest starches (normally at the same time as the molar teeth are fully developed.

Check out the work of Dr Natasha Campbell McBride.

A great resource as well in addition to Weston Price etc is http://nourishingourchildren.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/nourishing-babies-and-toddlers/

As you can see it is a minefield and opinions vary widely.

Good luck and congratulations

Suzie

•  

A baby's digestive system is much more equipped with the enzymes to digest fats and proteins (hence why breast milk is the perfect first food). They are able to digest meats better than carbohydrates. They don't produce the level of amylase required to digest carbohydrates as adults can. It can take up to 2 years for their digestive system to produce the required amounts to digest starches (normally at the same time as the molar teeth are fully developed.

Check out the work of Dr Natasha Campbell McBride.

A great resource as well in addition to Weston Price etc is http://nourishingourchildren.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/nourishing-babies-and-toddlers/

As you can see it is a minefield and opinions vary widely.

Good luck and congratulations

Suzie

There's a big difference between cooked animal protein vs milk protein, especially raw milk. Btw human have a longer digestive track than meat eating animals. Our teeth aren't made for consuming large amount of meat. Our digestive track proves that we need longer time to digest and assimilate nutrients from grains, nuts, seed, fruits and vegetables. Let's not forget about uric acid in meat you are practically ingesting urine when you eat meat.

"Our teeth aren't made for consuming large amount of meat"

Our teeth can handle meat regardless of volume. It would be our jaws that tire with a very large amount of any food. BP diet advocates only a moderate amount of protein, some of which comes from meat.

"Let's not forget about uric acid in meat you are practically ingesting urine when you eat meat."

This is silly. Urine contains water too, do you avoid water because it was potentially someone else's urine once? Faeces, vomit, pus, semen, etc, too.

• CrazyCanuckz, we will just have to agree to disagree.  Out of interest, what would you recommend to Alex Vigano (OP) is the best foods to start weaning with.

I agree with your previous post, Dr Bronners is a great soap range.

Suzie

• "Our teeth aren't made for consuming large amount of meat"

Our teeth can handle meat regardless of volume. It would be our jaws that tire with a very large amount of any food. BP diet advocates only a moderate amount of protein, some of which comes from meat.

"Let's not forget about uric acid in meat you are practically ingesting urine when you eat meat."

This is silly. Urine contains water too, do you avoid water because it was potentially someone else's urine once? Faeces, vomit, pus, semen, etc, too.

With all due respect.  Pure clean water is healing and does not cause allergic reaction to the body only when chemicals or other things.  So you comparing things than contain water doesn't mean that much.  There is urine therapy but it's only used for short duration to heal the body if you continued for longer period than required you can get sick.   We hae no idea if urine from other animals are ok to digest compared to your own.  Also if you're eating small amount of protein and then a lot of fat.  Let me ask you how do you chew fat at liquid state?  To optimally  digest fat you might chew?  Dae recommends MTC Oil with coffee but it's difficult to chew coffee at liquid form.

My recommendation is breast feeding if the child can't consume breast milk one should make almond milk by soak the raw almonds for 24 hours then making into almond milk.  I haen't tried other nuts though.   Diet high in cooked vegetables, with moderate amounts of fat.  If you are worried about low protein you can give small amount of meat.You do not need meat in a daily basis,  In Korea when the country was poor people used to eat meat only two or three times a month.

Honestly I would more worried about EMF From baby monitors, cell phones, routers, etc than most things because they have damaging effects.

http://ehtrust.org/

• There is no need for a baby under a year old to consume anything but breastmilk. Many generations of humans have done this. It is not that foods before a year are always detrimental, but they just aren't needed.

• I started BP when my son was about a year old, but he was still breastfeeding.  For a newborn, definitely stick with breastmilk until 6 months, unless your baby is sitting up, interested in your food, etc.  These are signs they are ready for more.  My son started solids at 5 months.  The best thing I ever bought was the Cuisinart baby maker (Amazon)...makes up to 4 cups of food and it steams it before you puree it.  My son doesn't eat baby food anymore, but I still use it daily to steam our veggies for dinner.  Great for reheating leftovers as well, since we no longer use our microwave!  Can't rave enough about this little food processor/steamer.   

As far as first foods, we did the rice cereal with breastmilk, but quickly moved on to fruits, veggies, meat....my little one loved anything we were eating....steak, spaghetti (rice noodles, organic tomatoes), soups, chicken, etc.  Just had to dump some in the cuisinart baby and in a few seconds it was to a good consistency.  Don't be afraid to give them whatever you are eating.  It is definitely more nutritious than most babyfood on the market, even the organic stuff.  Fresh, local, seasonal!!!

• Dont vaccinate your children.

---

• Hmm...the previous post sounds a lot like troll bait, so lets just avoid that subject.

Back on topic, our daughter's first food was avocado.

• We started with egg yolks, liver, coconut oil and grass fed butter, fermented cod oil, bone broths. Avocado. Then moved to tropical fruits and veggies, and lacto fermented sweet potato. I read the book super nutrition for babies and I go by that mostly . I found the Weston a price foundation to be helpful. And moms nutrition is important for the quality of her breast milk . Good luck! Have fun!
  • With all due respect I would highly be against BP diet for an infant. An infant doesn't have the capabilities to properly process meat. You might want to go to a naturopathic doctor who has experiences with dealing with children. Cooked animal protein is very difficult to digest. Btw congratulations. You might be interested in Dr Bronner's organic soap which the only soap I use due to harsh chemicals in other soap.

=====================

I always felt like Dr. Bronner's over-cleaned my skin. You don't need soap at all, actually. I only shower with warm water now, and even in the summer, or after hockey or the gym, I don't smell any different than when I used soap. My skin actually feels healthier without it.

Massachusetts Bulletproof Resources! (Local BP resources for food/vitamins, meditation, bio-hacking/tech-centers, etc.)

If you know of a local resource that I haven't listed, or have a warning for known local health scams or bad "BP" businesses, please PM me.

If it's a good resource, I'll add it to the master-list (I was inspired by suntoucher & Ron Swanson.)

• one of the best things you can start off with is home made chicken thigh mush. Basically use chicken bone broth and simmer with chicken thighs till they fall apart and puree everything. At 6 months moms milk and baby become depleted in iron levels and chicken thighs are a great source of iron. It was a very smart pediatrician from europe that told me that 3 1/2 years ago and got me on to weston a price....long before I heard of the bulletproof diet!

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com