Fennel Egg Soup

When following the directions for the Fennel Egg Soup, "the fat" contains 4 egg yolks which are to be added at the end and blended into the soup. My concern is using raw eggs that are not cooked for fear of salmonella. 

I'm using a Vitamix to blend so I'm not sure if I'm suppose to assume to blend until it's "cooked" since there is that option with a Vitamix or if I just eat it raw but blended in? How is everyone else making it?

Comments

• The highest risk of salmonella is the shell.  When you crack the egg, the yolk/whites pickup the bacteria from the outside of the shell and bring it with them into whatever you're making.  Some people will try to sell you that 'salmonella is rare' and you shouldn't have to worry about it with pastured eggs.  I'm going to call BS on that after getting horrible food poisoning after making BP cupcakes with raw eggs.  Since then, I always scrub the eggs with a sponge and dish soap (then rinsing thoroughly so you don't get soap in your food) before putting raw eggs into any dish.  This will take care of the bacteria.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I get free range eggs and almost every tray has some bird shit on some of the eggs. So I'd say the food poisoning risk might be a bit higher. But you can wash them in detergent or grape seed extract and water to kill any bacteria. If you're really worried, do that, then put the yolks whole in a bowl and put a drop of grape seed extract on top of each one to further ensure bacteria die. Then put them in the soup.

• I get free range eggs and almost every tray has some bird shit on some of the eggs. So I'd say the food poisoning risk might be a bit higher. But you can wash them in detergent or grape seed extract and water to kill any bacteria. If you're really worried, do that, then put the yolks whole in a bowl and put a drop of grape seed extract on top of each one to further ensure bacteria die. Then put them in the soup.

Thank you for your response!

• The highest risk of salmonella is the shell.  When you crack the egg, the yolk/whites pickup the bacteria from the outside of the shell and bring it with them into whatever you're making.  Some people will try to sell you that 'salmonella is rare' and you shouldn't have to worry about it with pastured eggs.  I'm going to call BS on that after getting horrible food poisoning after making BP cupcakes with raw eggs.  Since then, I always scrub the eggs with a sponge and dish soap (then rinsing thoroughly so you don't get soap in your food) before putting raw eggs into any dish.  This will take care of the bacteria.

I made sure I throughly washed the shells before using them and the recipe turned out well. Thank you for the response. Regardless if the eggs are pastured or not, I'm still leery of it! Simply for reasons like your BP cupcake experience!

Thanks again for your response!