My Doctor Shocked Me By Asking "have You Heard Of The Bulletproof Exec?"

I went in for my yearly physical last week and my GP shocked me. I'd gone on a bit of a rant last time I was there when he handed me the diet sheet that included the whole ADA approved "saturated fat is the devil, eat more healthy whole grains" dietary advice. I just started going to him last year after I had asked my previous GP to do a LDL particle size test and he looked at me and asked "what's that?" To back up a bit, in 2007 I was well over 300 pounds and diagnosed with gallstones. Durning the ERCP surgery to remove the gallstones, there were "complications" that induced severe pancreatitis, which put me in hospital for a month. After I was released, my pancreas actually ruptured and I was hospitalized for another 3 months with pancreatic pseudo cysts, which almost killed me (I was later told I had been given a 40% chance of survival when it ruptured.) Afterwards, sans gallbladder around about 1/3 of my pancreas, I had lots of time at home recovering to research how I could improve my health. I had ballooned to somewhere near 320 as I ate like crazy after not eating any food for 3 months. I started first discovered Mark's Daily Apple then Robb Wolf and started dropping weight rapidly. My previous GP saw me go from 320 down to 155. He honestly was absolutely no help in this process, basically saying "wow, what you are doing goes against everything I've been taught, but it seems to be working so I guess keep doing it".

After the "what's a LDL particle size test" incident, I went searching for another GP. There isn't a "paleo" doctor in the bay area that I've found that isn't completely "off network" or even takes insurance at all. I picked the current GP because he had listed "functional medicine" and a friend recommended him. To make a long story short (too late) when I saw him this week he was asking about diet and did I still do the Paleo thing. I was impressed that he advised that I should stick to grass fed beef. Then he really shocked me and asked if I'd heard of The BulletProof Exec. He said he'd ordered some of the MCT oil and tried BulletProof coffee. (Does that need aâ„¢?) It was the end of the day and I didn't want to keep him, but I may email him and ask if he might be a, gasp, closet paleo! I'm going to email him and ask him more about what he thinks of Dave's BulletProof approach.

The last thing I asked him about was getting rid of my "man boobs" and he said he thought the majority of what was left was leftover connective tissue and that I'd probably need surgery to get rid of. Perhaps I should put this in another post, but was wondering if anyone had lost over 100 pounds and had that sort of surgery done.

For reference, here I am at Burning Man 2008

Comments

• Hell of a story man! Glad to see you are bettering yourself. Keep pushing your doctor towards the paleo/primal/bulletproof approach. Maybe compile a list of various topics discussed in the paleosphere and email him. Best of luck and hope it all works out.
  • Great story, awesome progress. On the finding a good doctor tip:

In 3 years I've been through 3 GPs (I take one annually for my work.) Each time I spend (not enough) time looking for someone that might possibly be open to my ideas on nutrition, which has been low carb/paleo, for the most part. Each time I ask for a lipid profile, complete blood test, testosterone test, and STD test. The last doc said something like, "Why do you want a test and std test? You're trying to make babies and have unprotected sex?" He ran from most of my questions and said something like, "You are like the new breed of patient, concerned before you are sick or hurt."

So, if anyone has some advice for finding a decent doctor in Chicago, let me know image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • I bought my tests from the Life Extension foundation because I didn't want to deal with a doctor. I doubt my insurance would have covered the tests anyway.
  • The physician's driving fear is litigation. You go around telling sick people to try out this weird diet where they eat grass fed butter by the stick and one of them dies, who do you think looks bad in court? I would be a bit weary of a physician who was openly paleo as this would suggest they are a bit suicidal. Best thing is to befriend some docs or if you are lucky and live near them, someone involved in antiaging research. Though it sounds like DustyChicago has found a winner.
  • As far as the manboobs, my recommendation would be to start working out first before you look at getting surgery. I've noticed as I lose weight and gain muscle that it sort of balances out.

• I went in for my yearly physical last week and my GP shocked me. I'd gone on a bit of a rant last time I was there when he handed me the diet sheet that included the whole ADA approved "saturated fat is the devil, eat more healthy whole grains" dietary advice. I just started going to him last year after I had asked my previous GP to do a LDL particle size test and he looked at me and asked "what's that?" To back up a bit, in 2007 I was well over 300 pounds and diagnosed with gallstones. Durning the ERCP surgery to remove the gallstones, there were "complications" that induced severe pancreatitis, which put me in hospital for a month. After I was released, my pancreas actually ruptured and I was hospitalized for another 3 months with pancreatic pseudo cysts, which almost killed me (I was later told I had been given a 40% chance of survival when it ruptured.) Afterwards, sans gallbladder around about 1/3 of my pancreas, I had lots of time at home recovering to research how I could improve my health. I had ballooned to somewhere near 320 as I ate like crazy after not eating any food for 3 months. I started first discovered Mark's Daily Apple then Robb Wolf and started dropping weight rapidly. My previous GP saw me go from 320 down to 155. He honestly was absolutely no help in this process, basically saying "wow, what you are doing goes against everything I've been taught, but it seems to be working so I guess keep doing it".

After the "what's a LDL particle size test" incident, I went searching for another GP. There isn't a "paleo" doctor in the bay area that I've found that isn't completely "off network" or even takes insurance at all. I picked the current GP because he had listed "functional medicine" and a friend recommended him. To make a long story short (too late) when I saw him this week he was asking about diet and did I still do the Paleo thing. I was impressed that he advised that I should stick to grass fed beef. Then he really shocked me and asked if I'd heard of The BulletProof Exec. He said he'd ordered some of the MCT oil and tried BulletProof coffee. (Does that need aâ„¢?) It was the end of the day and I didn't want to keep him, but I may email him and ask if he might be a, gasp, closet paleo! I'm going to email him and ask him more about what he thinks of Dave's BulletProof approach.

The last thing I asked him about was getting rid of my "man boobs" and he said he thought the majority of what was left was leftover connective tissue and that I'd probably need surgery to get rid of. Perhaps I should put this in another post, but was wondering if anyone had lost over 100 pounds and had that sort of surgery done.

For reference, here I am at Burning Man 2008

Great work, good achievement ...

I am in worse situation than you weight wise, I am 160kg approx (350lb) I want to go down to at least 100kg - (220lb) or less.

The Upgraded coffee, MCT oil has just arrived, Just waiting for my supplements to arrive from US, I am in Melbourne Australia and I shall begin.

I also have Gall Stones, not sure how I will cope with the butter and MCT oil ...

Well done dude
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    'Lesbo' wrote:

Great work, good achievement ...

I am in worse situation than you weight wise, I am 160kg approx (350lb) I want to go down to at least 100kg - (220lb) or less.

The Upgraded coffee, MCT oil has just arrived, Just waiting for my supplements to arrive from US, I am in Melbourne Australia and I shall begin.

I also have Gall Stones, not sure how I will cope with the butter and MCT oil ...

Well done dude

We'll get you there. Go and get your blood-work done (for free, thank you Medicare!) and then start to shift your diet. Follow the 14 steps. Stay on the forum and keep us updated too.

No sorcery, just science. 

• Gynaecomastia (colloquially "man boobs"), can have a number of causes. One of them can get triggered by a paleo or BP diet and intermittent fasting. Diets like these and intermittent fasting can raise total testosterone levels. Great thing for men, but total testosterone levels doesn't mean better all by itself. On a gross level the body has bound and free testosterone. If memory serves, free testosterone gives us all the great benefits: strength, muscle mass, improved immune function, youthfulness. But, higher total testosterone levels can also trigger the body to produce higher estrogen levels. Men need some estrogen, but too much and you get gynaecomastia.

Body builders who take steroids often have this problem. They sometimes address it by taking Letrozole or Arimedex two estrogen suppressors originally developed to treat breast cancer. Letrozole can virtually eliminate estrogen, but that can cause other problems because it can crash one's immune system. This said Letrozole in very small doses can also quiet an overactive immune system and reduce the affects of seasonal allergies, but its a powerful drug. One shouldn't take it lightly.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has any thoughts of ways to safely bio-hack the balance between testosterone, free testosterone, and estrogen levels.

Thoughts?
  • 'Andreas' wrote:

Gynaecomastia (colloquially "man boobs"), can have a number of causes. One of them can get triggered by a paleo or BP diet and intermittent fasting. Diets like these and intermittent fasting can raise total testosterone levels. Great thing for men, but total testosterone levels doesn't mean better all by itself. On a gross level the body has bound and free testosterone. If memory serves, free testosterone gives us all the great benefits: strength, muscle mass, improved immune function, youthfulness. But, higher total testosterone levels can also trigger the body to produce higher estrogen levels. Men need some estrogen, but too much and you get gynaecomastia.

Body builders who take steroids often have this problem. They sometimes address it by taking Letrozole or Arimedex two estrogen suppressors originally developed to treat breast cancer. Letrozole can virtually eliminate estrogen, but that can cause other problems because it can crash one's immune system. This said Letrozole in very small doses can also quiet an overactive immune system and reduce the affects of seasonal allergies, but its a powerful drug. One shouldn't take it lightly.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has any thoughts of ways to safely bio-hack the balance between testosterone, free testosterone, and estrogen levels.

Thoughts?

I would worry more about high body fat % and Bisphenol A, than test. converting into estrogen.

And the anti estrogen drug you were thinking of is Tamoxifen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamoxifen

You could also use Clomifene.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clomifene
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • @Pierre_Eklund -- I just assume that anyone serious about a BP diet has resolved body fat % issues (or will eventually).

Monitoring Bisphenol A sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

Certainly some use Tamoxifen and Clomifene but one can find a wide discussion on the use of Letrozole and Arimedex.
  • I noticed today that John has a link to BulletProofExec in his links page http://www.johnwilsonmd.com/Links.html  so guess he's more on board than I thought.  His nutritionist uses "modified Mediterranean diet" but I'm not sure what that really means, I've not met with her.  

• Is Dr. John Wilson the guy you saw before writing your first post?

Check out the lipid guidelines he recommends on this page: http://www.johnwilsonmd.com/Forms-Handouts.html

I don't know him, but he seems to be on the right track.

EAT MORE of these foods (always organic if possible):

Vegetables (LOTS)

Whole Fruits (1/day max)

Fish & Seafood (wild)

Free range Chicken or 

Pork

Grass-fed beef

Pastured Eggs

Sweet Potato or Rice 

(1/Day max)

Nuts & Nut Butters

Olives & Olive Oil