Mark Sisson Acknowledging The Awesomeness Of Bp Coffee... And Now Trying To Create His Own?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/

"Bulletproof coffee has taken the paleo world by storm. Not me, though.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for people dropping grass-fed butter and coconut/MCT oil into their high-quality coffee, blending it all up into a high-octane mug of frothiness, but I just can’t get into it. If we’re talking coffee additives, I prefer my butter in the form of cream. That’s me. I definitely see the appeal of it, though, and I’m sold on the merits of the drink and its components. It’s just not for me.

However, the idea of adding non-traditional fatty food items to coffee intrigued me, so I decided to explore other options. Eventually, I landed on eggs."

Ok so... eggs?

I know we are a huge fan of raw egg yolks here on the Bulletproof Exec, but I feel that many of the benefits that have earned Bulletproof Coffee it's popularity are being defeated - yet people will still jump onto Mark's recipe because of the hype around it.

The main benefits from standard BPC compared to other variations are related to fasting and cognitive function. Also I'm not so sure how the cooking your eggs as little as possible philosophy goes down with this. 

Overall I don't see this as being anywhere near a replacement for BPC, or in fact anywhere near enough to vaguely compete with BPC, but I'm still keen to give it a try and perhaps alternate between the ttwo.

Recipe:

• 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) coffee
  • 3 pastured egg yolks
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp of salt

(yes, you saw sugar on that list correctly...)

Comments

• edited July 2013

The purpose of grass-fed butter, which is high in healthy fats, is to keep one satiated, allowing one to stay full four several hours while intermittent fasting. Also, the purpose of the MCT oil is to, among other things, give one optimal brain functioning. I don't think Sisson understands the concept of the BP coffee and the systematic inclusion of its properties.

It seems as though Sisson, whose praises had been sung (and still continue to be sung, although to a lesser extent) by nearly everyone in the paleo community, is jealous that a new Sheriff is in town to steal his thunder. His comments on this matter are nothing but sour grapes.

PS- His recipe sucks. Lol

• edited July 2013

The purpose of grass-fed butter, which is high in healthy fats, is to keep one satiated, allowing one to stay full four several hours while intermittent fasting. Also, the purpose of the MCT oil is to, among other things, give one optimal brain functioning. I don't think Sisson understands the concept of the BP coffee and the systematic inclusion of its properties.

It seems as though Sisson, whose praises had been sung (and still continue to be sung, although to a lesser extent) by nearly everyone in the paleo community, is jealous that a new Sheriff is in town to steal his thunder. His comments on this matter are nothing but sour grapes.

PS- His recipe sucks. Lol

----

With regard to the butter for satiety, I agree but I didn't mention it because I would imagine 3 eggs in your coffee would be pretty filling too. Although maybe you have a point, some people do find the butter in the coffee able to get them through pretty much an entire day.

I'd like to try and avoid painting Mark in a bad light because , well even if he maybe is a bit jealous, he has still done wonders for the health community by being so passionate about Primal living. I know he makes money off it, and I know it's a business, but it's also been a massive help and inspiration to many.

• edited July 2013

----

With regard to the butter for satiety, I agree but I didn't mention it because I would imagine 3 eggs in your coffee would be pretty filling too. Although maybe you have a point, some people do find the butter in the coffee able to get them through pretty much an entire day.

I'd like to try and avoid painting Mark in a bad light because , well even if he maybe is a bit jealous, he has still done wonders for the health community by being so passionate about Primal living. I know he makes money off it, and I know it's a business, but it's also been a massive help and inspiration to many.

Okay. I get where you're coming from. Prior to jumping on the BP bandwagon, I was eating a standard a American diet, so I don't know much about him, other than the fact that he's highly regarded in the paleo/primal community.

The comments I made about him in my previous post ITT were based on his attacking Dave's BP coffee. You're right; he's probably done wonders for the health community.

• edited July 2013

Also, I wasn't trivializing his entire body of work. I just think it's pretty obvious that his comments were made out of spite and jealousy, considering he doesn't really elaborate on why he doesn't agree with the BP coffee. His explanation for why he's not sold on the BP coffee is that "It's just not for me." That's weak as hell.

Also, his recipe contains sugar, which made me LOL.

• I just got done reading Primal Blueprint and have a ton of respect for Mark.  I'm also a lover of the BP lifestyle as it has turned my life around.  As much as I respect both Mark and Dave, I believe that the cult of personality around both Primal and BP will be their undoing and we'll all be chatting in some other forum in a few years saying the same things about some new awesome person.

• edited July 2013

I just got done reading Primal Blueprint and have a ton of respect for Mark.  I'm also a lover of the BP lifestyle as it has turned my life around.  As much as I respect both Mark and Dave, I believe that the cult of personality around both Primal and BP will be their undoing and we'll all be chatting in some other forum in a few years saying the same things about some new awesome person.

Gandhi famously said: I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians."

I don't see how an annoying cult following will lead to the demise of the BP diet. If people think Dave has an annoying cult following, fine. But they should judge the diet on its own merits.

• MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful

He needs to pull his head in. What he should of done was get Dave on to do a podcast or guest blog or some shit. This is like Henry Ford's next-door neighbour deciding that he could make a different car too... so he made one with 5 wheels, and the driver faces backwards. 

No sorcery, just science. 

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Why don't we all do what he's done to become as famous as Dave?

Why, just this minute, I invented MY OWN recipe!

I call it IRONCLAD COFFEE.

The recipe?

1x 300ml of black IRONCLAD COFFEE.

2x tablespoons of beef tallow

Add them together and blend the shit out of it.

How did I invent it? I was wandering the Scottish Highlands when I stumbled upon a band of one-armed Rangers fans. They were drinking this "beef tea" they call Bovril. I tried some and was completely energised! So I brought the idea back home and taking grass-fed beef tallow I put it in my coffee.

The rest is history...

Find out more at my blog: www.ironcladjanitor.com

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

I wont buy your IRONCLAD COFFEE until you manually extract the beef tallow, Scottish Highlander toxins make me sick!  :cool:

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• I read that the other day as well. Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint allows for dairy, and he has long been putting whole cream in his morning coffee. He stated his respect for bulletproof coffee and did not debate it at all, rather said it just wasn't for him but it inspired him to add some additional fat to his coffee (egg yolks) which even Dave suggest for making the BP coffee extra good and foamy. He also isn't very strict on sugar, but heck, with his genetics  and workout plan, I guess he doesn't feel the need to do away with sugar.

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• Eggs in coffee is just wrong.  Butter is like what I used to add, save with 90x the fat so I can see that.  I would not even try to make that idiotic concoction cause if I did I would have to bitchslap myself.  I wouldn't mix beef tallow with anything cause I like the taste of cow.  My beef tea is basically make beef stock and drink it straight up.  The only possible thing to add would be Jack Daniels and possibly a human hair.  But only order that if you are in a seriously tough bar.

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

I put 2 whole local pasture eggs this morning and it taste great. Then again I put alot of MCT and butter in there too so Its a background taste.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• I put 2 whole local pasture eggs this morning and it taste great. Then again I put alot of MCT and butter in there too so Its a background taste.

=======================================

Eggs in coffee is just wrong.  Butter is like what I used to add, save with 90x the fat so I can see that.  I would not even try to make that idiotic concoction cause if I did I would have to bitchslap myself.  I wouldn't mix beef tallow with anything cause I like the taste of cow.  My beef tea is basically make beef stock and drink it straight up.  The only possible thing to add would be Jack Daniels and possibly a human hair.  But only order that if you are in a seriously tough bar.

============================================

If you are following the BP IM fasting program, it is important to only put the egg yolks in (which is what Mark Sisson does), save the egg white to throw in your soup later for added protein. Bulletproof coffee is designed to be only fat, no carbs or protein, and egg whites packs a protein punch. Adding egg yolks to your BP coffee will make it extra bulletproof and super frothy/foamy. I, Dave Asprey, Abel James, Mark Sisson, and many other fatty coffee lovers do this.

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• Mark Sisson's just jealous.  He even linked to Dave's site to trick us into thinking he's helping promote Bulletproof Coffee.  Like what's up with that?  The guy's just jelly.

He even prefers cream and egg yolks over butter and MCT oil, and he uses a tsp of sugar in his coffee.  I mean, we should so make that out to be bigger than it is, right?

• I think I could do something with the primal egg coffee.  If you did it right, you could probably get it to taste like an eggnog latte' (I'm from Seattle -- we like coffee drinks).  I would start with a couple of egg yolks and a tablespoon each of MCT oil and grassfed butter/ghee (I clarify my kerrygold) and whip it until really frothy with a bit of cinnamon and some good quality stevia, then add about a cup of coffee. Sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top (yearn for nutmeg, but maybe add a pinch of ground cloves if cinnamon isn't enough).  I believe this would taste similar to an eggnog latte'.  However, I'm avoiding eggs right now because I love them so much that I've become sensitive.

Mary