Converting my wife

My wife has seen how my change to a paleo diet and mostly bulletproof diet has helped me lose weight and feel better. She has been, halfheartedly, trying to transition to the same way of eating, though she still eats a lot of bad stuff.

I know that the Bulletproof Coffee played a big part in my ability to transition off of a diet filled with lots of carbs, especially sugar and bread. I have never been a coffee drinker, even though I worked in a Starbucks factory for 4 years, lol. I still don't really enjoy the taste of Bulletproof Coffee or any coffee, but I'm hooked on the results.

Anyhow, to my main question, my wife wants to try this approach but she cannot stand drinking coffee either. I'm encouraging her to not load up the coffee with stuff that will detract from the benefits of the 12-16 hour fast and ketogenic affects of this technique. I think If I can get her in a state of ketosis, it will help her avoid the cravings for carbs that used to plague me. I think the coffee is key to getting this process started.

two questions for everyone...

1. I need to find something I can add to the Bulletproof coffee to make it taste better for her. I've heard of cinnamon, cocoa, etc. Does anyone have any good, proven, ways to add some more flavor and still be Bulletproof? I'd love to hear how others are doing it.

2. My wife prefers green tea over coffee. Is there an equivalent Bulletproof Green Tea that anyone is drinking with good results? I can't imagine butter in tea, though?? I was thinking MCT oil in the tea, but that is not nearly as many good fat calories (I don't want her to be on the toilet all day, either :o ). Also, my wife doesn't like coconut, so that oil is out of the question.

Thanks in advance for any input on these questions.

Cheers,

Skippy
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
my competitve pool performance, brain function and overall health.[/font]

Comments

• I like butter + mct in tea (just like the b/p coffee recipe). Just make sure you're using quality loose leaf green tea so you aren't loading up on mycotoxins.

Could add xylitol to make it sweeter, but its unecessary
  • Thanks Zingbo. My wife tried some green tea, today, with some butter and MCT oil. She wasn't loving the taste, but was able to drink it. I'm not sure that the benefits will be as dramatic as the benefits of the BP coffee, though. I don't think the tea provides nearly as much caffeine and other good stuff, like coffee.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Skippy
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]BilliardsBiohacker.com - [/font][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Follow my biohacking projects and listen to my podcast, as I attempt to improve
  • I've tried it with tea before, and my experience was that it was better when I used far less butter than I would have in coffee and more oil. I was using coconut as opposed to mct though, because I love what it does for the aroma.
  • @noah...Actually, I put less butter in it (probably 2 tbsp), just because I wasn't sure if she would drink any of it. I put about a tbsp of MCT oil in there, too. It was probably about 10 oz. of Green Tea.

She was able to drink it, though I don't think she enjoyed it. This was the first thing she ate a few hours after waking. Unfortunately, it made her stomach upset. I'm not sure why.

Anyone have any thoughts on why she would feel nauseous after drinking this mixture?

Thanks,

Skippy
  • hmm, I don't have personal experience with any sort of discomfort, maybe she's not used to being in ketosis? If she doesn't like the tea, I sometimes will make a hot cocoa drink with 1/4 cup of cocoa, 5 tbsp of butter, about a cup of hot water and a little sweetener to offset the bitterness (i use about 1 "poof" of stevia).
  • I had some trouble assimilating that much fat when i first started drinking BP coffee; I took Betaine HCL, L-Glutamine, and a pro-biotic (from bulletproof.com) and this helped my digestion. After a month or so I got to the point where i don't rely on those supplements to help my stomach anyomore.

The only other issue i've ever had with BP coffee is simply that it has such caloric density that if i start out with a "full" stomach from the night before (rare, but happens if i really stuff myself) I can feel bloated quickly when drinking BP coffee. Simply cutting back on dose would help.

Not sure if either of these fit your wife's situation.
  • I'm pretty sure the bulletproof coffee post mentioned that this can be done with tea. Prior to finding this site, I drank black tea with raw, grassfed cream and xylitol every day. To try BP coffee, I sourced coffee beans from a local roaster and followed the recipe. I dealt with headaches a lot. There's no way to know if I'm really detoxing, or what is going on. I also experienced some sleepiness, which was opposite of what I expected.

I go to a B.E.S.T. practitioner who does muscle testing. She said my body prefers tea, which was fine with me. Even though mycotoxins are an important issue, the muscle testing eliminated it from something I should focus on for the moment. I went back to tea. I add grassfed butter to it now. I still need the cream for the right flavor. I don't seem to notice the butter flavor, other than the fullness. I have tried BP green tea and chai tea. Chai is better. I usually drink green tea straight.
  • SkippySkippy Skippy
    edited August 2013

Good advice Bulletproof intern. I agree that would have a huge impact on her weight and how she feels. I know that from personal experience, just like many of the folks on this forum. Unfortunately, she just isn't as motivated to make those changes as I am, yet. Though, she is motivated to lose weight.

I know that bulletproof coffee really helped me to transition off of the Pepsi/sugar/carbs addiction and get rid of the constant carb cravings (along with getting rid of severe stomach problems). She struggles with the same brutally constant cravings for snacks. I'm trying to convince her that those will go away with changes in her eating habits. Also, I've recently decided to really focus on coming up with a meal plan that will fill-up the whole week with good paleo food that she will eat. Hopefully, I can displace her current diet with good foods and try to eliminate the constant carb cravings(candy bars, chocolate and soda being the main culprits).

Thanks for the input everyone.

Cheers,

Skippy

• 'Skippy' wrote:

Thanks Zingbo. My wife tried some green tea, today, with some butter and MCT oil. She wasn't loving the taste, but was able to drink it. I'm not sure that the benefits will be as dramatic as the benefits of the BP coffee, though. I don't think the tea provides nearly as much caffeine and other good stuff, like coffee.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Skippy

You can buy Cafeine suplement pills, I sometimes use them before the gym, mine are 200mg of cafeine, usually chop them in 2 and have it over the day, if your wife cant drink coffe, she can have a 100mg cafeine pill, witht he bulletproof green tea, then have the other half of the cafeine pill later for an energy boos mid way through fast!
    E-commerce and Webdesign Agency
    www.nowaydesign.com

Email "Bulletproof" to [email protected] and get a discount now!
  • Butter and/or MCT in green tea works, but it doesn't taste as good. You could also try raw cream in tea, but that's not as Bulletproof. As far as flavoring goes, xylitol is an option as well as coconut milk (as long as the carbs are low).
  • edited August 2013

Good advice Bulletproof intern. I agree that would have a huge impact on her weight and how she feels. I know that from personal experience, just like many of the folks on this forum. Unfortunately, she just isn't as motivated to make those changes as I am, yet. Though, she is motivated to lose weight.

I know that bulletproof coffee really helped me to transition off of the Pepsi/sugar/carbs addiction and get rid of the constant carb cravings (along with getting rid of severe stomach problems). She struggles with the same brutally constant cravings for snacks. I'm trying to convince her that those will go away with changes in her eating habits. Also, I've recently decided to really focus on coming up with a meal plan that will fill-up the whole week with good paleo food that she will eat. Hopefully, I can displace her current diet with good foods and try to eliminate the constant carb cravings(candy bars, chocolate and soda being the main culprits).

Thanks for the input everyone.

Cheers,

Skippy

I'd recommend telling her to snack on bacon. :) When I was first trying the diet, I had lots of weird cravings, but I *love* bacon, so I'd fry up a piece instead of heading for the chips. It helped a lot (because who wants a dorito when you can have fresh bacon?) and is totally bulletproof!
  • kittykitty
    edited August 2013

This may seem slightly different advice, but not all wives or partners may be open minded to the advice their other gives them. Even seeing the progress of their other and liking what they see is not necessarily enough. Sometimes hearing it from someone else is best. Obviously somebody that is respectful is an option, like a bulletproof or paleo supporting doctor.

Also, with weight loss its not always the 'want to lose weight so i look better in jeans' that gets people up and atom, the real motivation comes after their moment where they realise they really are unfit, unhealthy, could be going in a bad direction soon. Of course there's always the 'you are type 2 diabetic and if you dont lose weight you will die' kinda thing. Be we all hope that never happens. Those of us that have been here and reading dave and the Bulletproof intern's work are much more likely not to be in that situation.

Has she been on this website and read about the lifestyle and what that entails? Its one thing to hear it, and another to read it. Is she healthy and vibrant as she is? Or is she not as healthy as she would like to be?

If one could motivate her to stick to the straight bulletproof principles for just one week, fully, with no mess ups, bulletproof coffee/tea or not, she may get the feel of how much better her body feels and then be inclined to stick to it.

As dave has mentioned before, even if one makes the changes gradually, the more changes one makes to being bulletproof, the better one feels. Taking that into account, if she slowly stopped having the unhelpful foods-for example, eliminating one week by week- and had more and more bulletproof foods then that would be a nice slow transition without the sudden feeling of diving into unknown water that can come with suddenly dumping all of ones staple bad foods.

Best of luck,

kittyk

• I am thinking you could do a type of chai latte: with chai spices (like cardamon, cinnamon, fennel, peber, licorice root etc.), green tea (maybe get the concentrated powder) and oils?

Also I can highly, highly recommend Gilian Rileys book for the mental side of dealing with cravings and overeating!

<3 M
  • Also you could try the "Get Some Ice Cream" that Dave recommends as an alternative to the coffee for people who don't like coffee. Start with a small portion - I got sick when I tried it. Tasted great though.
  • Thanks to everyone for the recent comments. I haven't checked the forum for a while and it is nice to see so much activity.

@Dave A - I'm looking for some good green tea for her. She likes green tea, but hasn't tried it with butter. I think she is more likely to like it with MCT oil, though. Thanks for the advice.

@Lisa - Thanks. My wife LOVES bacon. I wish I could afford the good stuff. I hope giving her the poorly raised bacon is still better than eating cereal or other forms of wheat & sugar for breakfast. Also, we have been eating a lot of eggs, too.

@Kitty - I totally agree with what you are saying. I had a major transformation in my health, when I started to eat for health and not for weight loss. My wife does not have the same type of self-improvement-geek mentality that I have. Also, the harder I push these principles, the more it pushes her away from them. I have to use more subtle tactics to sway her thinking. She has, slowly, moved towards more of a paleo/bulletproof diet. She has stopped drinking soda, which is a huge step for her. Also, she has cut out about 80% of the wheat from her diet. Her biggest weakness is sweets. She is having a lot of trouble giving those up. I try to explain to her that she will continue to have those cravings, until she starts to eat higher fat content and stop the sugar cravings that come every 2 - 3 hours. Overall, she is doing better with her diet. We are making good progress.

@Miamaya - Thanks for the tips. I will definitely give the ice cream a try.