Bulletproof Competitive Cyclist Dominating Rides

I am interested in connecting with any other cyclists out there interested in biohacking and the Bulletproof Diet. I want to get my diet and opinion out there since I have been very successful recently with my diet, adapting it to the rigors of spending many hours on the bicycle.

My current receives consists of hardcore 3 hour rides on tuesday/thursday morning which is partially on an intense group ride and long and hard rides of the weekend, up to six hours each day. I am a pretty successful cyclist so far; I've won the overal PRO 1/2/3 in the Mt. Whitney Stage Race and am right now in college and will be competiting next year in the men's A collegiate circuit. I am currently situated in San Diego.

My diet regime:

Before I ride I have my own BP chocolate I make with Arriba Nacional chocolate (I know it is low in mycotoxins), xylitol, sea salt, and cocoa butter. I also have a cup of green tea with MCT oil, cheap bulk mct oil fractionated capric/caprylic acid I buy. On the bike I take dextrose, raw whey, and mct oil. Right after my ride I have raw whey (I get it cheap in bulk) then within the hour I have white rice, mct oil, gelatin (collagen isn't necessary on a cheaper budget, this is the same it just doesn't mix so nicely), grass-fed beef, and grass-fed beef heart. In the evening I also have a large meal with safe-starches, grass-fed meats, and mct oil. On days I don't ride hardcore I do the normal bulletproof diet without safe starches. I have been doing this exact regime for the last few weeks and have been dominating everyride I do. I am literraly bouncing up and down on the bike. It is just wonderful so I wanted to share this with other endurance athletes out there so they can enjoy excessive energy as well! I do six hour rides in the mountain and can drill it the whole way!

The dextrose I use right now is from corn, but I just ordered rice dextrose from truenutrition so no worries.

I also very much disagree with the general view in the BP community that endurance exercise in bad for long term health and/or that it shortens life span. Everyone I know who has taken up what I do is younger, healthier, happier, and living more in the moment, with an increased quality of life, which is the point! I know a 70 year-old that took up ultrarunning when he was sick and in his 60s and he reversed his ailments and looks younger than he was ten years ago. I have superior energy when I am on my hardcore regime and training to my limits.

Comments

• edited July 2013

Don't want to sound like a downer but why are you trying to build stamina and endurance when we know its harmful for your heart. 

How many mg of modafinil are you using? Im on 500/500mg ratio of modafinil/caffeine. Doing 300mg of testosterone per week. Feel like I could beat Lance on a bike but I don't even ride mine anymore.

Its good you are into health mate, but cycling just aint healthy. We didnt have bicycles back in paleo days so why use em now.

You are young but please understand  that cycling isnt very heart healthy. Better to stick with heart healthy saturated fats and sprints in the back yard. Heck, exercise is overrated anyways. 

• edited July 2013

Don't want to sound like a downer but why are you trying to build stamina and endurance when we know its harmful for your heart. 

How many mg of modafinil are you using? Im on 500/500mg ratio of modafinil/caffeine. Doing 300mg of testosterone per week. Feel like I could beat Lance on a bike but I don't even ride mine anymore.

Its good you are into health mate, but cycling just aint healthy. We didnt have bicycles back in paleo days so why use em now.

You are young but please understand  that cycling isnt very heart healthy. Better to stick with heart healthy saturated fats and sprints in the back yard. Heck, exercise is overrated anyways. 

Lolol. I wouldn't say a downer, I would say ignorant. First of all a little story: 8 months ago I contracted an incredibly rare disease called Lemierre's  Syndrome which is an anaerobic bacterial infection which I believe I contracted from under-cooked chicken bones. If it is left untreated it is a terminal illness and the interesting thing is for the first 6 days it seems like just a really bad sore throat, but on the seventh day (quite religiously) it forms a blood clot in your neck and sends your body into septic shock, organ failure, and ultimately death. I went to the hospital when it had just spread into my blood stream on the seventh day so it was hit and miss whether I would live. Everything in my body started failing as I went into septic shock except for a small portion of my heart which kept beating and beating through this illness. The doctor's were shocked... they had prepared a heart transplant at USC nearby for me since they were so lost and confused. I live to tell the tale and what both me and the doctors agreed on was that if it wasn't for my superhuman heart, I would be a dead man. My 7 hour hardcore rides in mountains at high elevation when I was 15/16/17 trained my body to handle anything. It beats through anything. Endurance exercise is not bad for the heart.

Furthermore, the goal of being Bulletproof is to increase quality of life and optimize mental and physical performance. I cycle since it makes me more efficient both on and off the bike and because it provides HAPPINESS. You are ignorant because you don't understand cyclists and my community of cyclists! I wasn't trying to reach out to a couch potato, I was reaching out to cyclists who understand the joys of cycling and living life to the fullest.

•  

This part isn't worth commenting on.

• Yeah, the reply by Ben was pretty lame. The whole BP mantra of anti exercise I disagree with. I lift heavy weights 3 times a week. Part of being bulletproof is being strong, or for other people it's being able to ride 7 hours in the mountains. If all one cares about is mental performance and being able to type fast and browse the internet efficiently, and can live with them self having 19" quads go for it.

• Cyclist, whats up. Let talk BP Endurance. Im a graduate student who is now focusing on Ultra running, but has done Triahtlons and cycling in the past. Im currently also trying to increase overalll physical performance / appearance via lifiting. Im in shape by all regards but always striving to look better and perform better. I.e have a nice solid good looking core, strong and sturdy legs. Let talk about what to do. Im just recently starting on the BP coffee and what Im finding is that Im actually gaining a small amount of lower belly fat. Any thoughts? Im staying with a 16-18 hour fast and all my work outs are in the morning. (run or lifting)
  • If you are not pushing yourself physically with excercise of different types then what are you doing? Telling someone not to cycle is absolutely ridiculous. You want to spend your life in a medium state of life or do you want to push yourself into an uncomfortable zone to expand your body and mind to the next level.

Life is about building and breaking down building and breaking down its the process that builds all the traits that make good optimal humans!

One Love !

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a bike ride. BP's "anti attitude" is more in regards to doing lots of "cardio" like jogging or cycling every day with the idea that you're making yourself healthy. You're not. Science backs it up. Anecdotal correlation doesn't prove causation.

So the moral of the story is don't jog or cycle for health's sake, do it for enjoyment.

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    Unless of course you're doing it with someone that would rather die that day than let your foot/tire be in front of theirs.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Cyclistsam- It looks like this thread is a little old but we share some commonalities in sport and nutrition ambition. I'm a CAT 2 Elite cyclist in the mid-west and like you have accumulated some nice results. I recently got turned onto BP and (in the past 30 days) am looking for ways to optimize it to my sport. Being that its the off season my training is not that intense and thus I cant tell if the food I am eating is going to sustain a hard workout regime come my winter ramp up. I have lost 10 pounds in the last month and hope to loose another 10 before next season.

I would be really interested in picking your brain on how you fuel your training and if you notice food toxicity effecting your performance.

Happy to chat back and fourth.

I am interested in connecting with any other cyclists out there interested in biohacking and the Bulletproof Diet. I want to get my diet and opinion out there since I have been very successful recently with my diet, adapting it to the rigors of spending many hours on the bicycle.

My current receives consists of hardcore 3 hour rides on tuesday/thursday morning which is partially on an intense group ride and long and hard rides of the weekend, up to six hours each day. I am a pretty successful cyclist so far; I've won the overal PRO 1/2/3 in the Mt. Whitney Stage Race and am right now in college and will be competiting next year in the men's A collegiate circuit. I am currently situated in San Diego.

My diet regime:

Before I ride I have my own BP chocolate I make with Arriba Nacional chocolate (I know it is low in mycotoxins), xylitol, sea salt, and cocoa butter. I also have a cup of green tea with MCT oil, cheap bulk mct oil fractionated capric/caprylic acid I buy. On the bike I take dextrose, raw whey, and mct oil. Right after my ride I have raw whey (I get it cheap in bulk) then within the hour I have white rice, mct oil, gelatin (collagen isn't necessary on a cheaper budget, this is the same it just doesn't mix so nicely), grass-fed beef, and grass-fed beef heart. In the evening I also have a large meal with safe-starches, grass-fed meats, and mct oil. On days I don't ride hardcore I do the normal bulletproof diet without safe starches. I have been doing this exact regime for the last few weeks and have been dominating everyride I do. I am literraly bouncing up and down on the bike. It is just wonderful so I wanted to share this with other endurance athletes out there so they can enjoy excessive energy as well! I do six hour rides in the mountain and can drill it the whole way!

The dextrose I use right now is from corn, but I just ordered rice dextrose from truenutrition so no worries.

I also very much disagree with the general view in the BP community that endurance exercise in bad for long term health and/or that it shortens life span. Everyone I know who has taken up what I do is younger, healthier, happier, and living more in the moment, with an increased quality of life, which is the point! I know a 70 year-old that took up ultrarunning when he was sick and in his 60s and he reversed his ailments and looks younger than he was ten years ago. I have superior energy when I am on my hardcore regime and training to my limits.

Critkiller     

• Cyclistsam- It looks like this thread is a little old but we share some commonalities in sport and nutrition ambition. I'm a CAT 2 Elite cyclist in the mid-west and like you have accumulated some nice results. I recently got turned onto BP and (in the past 30 days) am looking for ways to optimize it to my sport. Being that its the off season my training is not that intense and thus I cant tell if the food I am eating is going to sustain a hard workout regime come my winter ramp up. I have lost 10 pounds in the last month and hope to loose another 10 before next season.

I would be really interested in picking your brain on how you fuel your training and if you notice food toxicity effecting your performance.

Happy to chat back and fourth.

Critkiller     

Awesome man. Well my routine right now is very simple. I have lately taken a break from cocoa because of phytic acid. I have Upgraded coffee with coconut oil and mct oil (don't use butter since it messes with my gut biome and gives me acne). I then put dextrose, raw whey protein isolate, potassium bicarbonate, sea salt, and mct oil in my cycling bottles, along with some fine powder of my left over coffee for flavour. 

Yes, toxins effect me more than ever now since starting bulletproof diet. I had some factory farmed chicken two days ago and noticed multiple negative effects both within hours and the next day after consuming it. 

I use Green pasture's Fermented Cod Liver Oil/ Butter Oil Blend. I take Natural Calm mag with dinner, only a teaspoon. I use grass-fed gelatin as well.

Those be the main things :)

Oh yes, post workout I have white rice with mct oil, electrolytes, and also raw whey protein isolate 30g.

• Andy BoskampAndy Boskamp Andy Boskamp

cyclistsam,

You don't seem to be supplementing very heavily. Is this due to monetary constraints, or a phobia of pills? From an athletic standpoint, creatine would probably significantly improve your endurance, also supplements like CoQ10 and/or PQQ will get your mitochondria functioning optimally.

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• cyclistsam,

You don't seem to be supplementing very heavily. Is this due to monetary constraints, or a phobia of pills? From an athletic standpoint, creatine would probably significantly improve your endurance, also supplements like CoQ10 and/or PQQ will get your mitochondria functioning optimally.

Consistent research against creatine, along with my biochemistry course. I don't like taking concentrated supplements, only from food. Many foods I eat like liver have coq10. Already incredibly strong and energetic. No need to mess around with drugs. All for fun.

• Cyclistsam,

Thanks for the insight, I don't like changing too much to quickly for fear ill loose my ability to identify beneficial/non-beneficial changes. I am just starting an AM and PM supplement trial with D3,Mg, K2, VitC, and Potasium. However, I am very curious to try your bottle mix. Were do you buy the ingredients do you have specific brands? How much of each ingredient do you use? I know the mainstream supplement industry well but what your taking doesn't seem like its supplied by mainstream brands.

I'm consuming only 16 oz of the Rx BP coffee each morning and I noticed on the weekends during some harder group rides that the moment I hit Vo2 power levels my stomach turns sour but if I back off just a little it returns to normal. Therefore I think I need something else in my stomach during harder workouts to keep that from happening and I hope that bottle mixture will help.

I am going to give the white rice and MCT oil a try for post workout. 

I would asume you stay away from the gels and bars right? 

• I agree mate, try to minimize variables whilst experimenting :) I will message you with sources. I just buy dextrose anywhere since it is so cheap. I buy powdered potassium bicarbonate, very cheap. MCT oil I don't measure/ haven't optimized yet. Dextrose plan for 30g per hour. Gels are fine, especially if they are maltodextrin and dextrose based. i just don't use them bc they are expensive, but they are convenient. You will do bets with the coffee if you have it without butter... only coconut oil and mct oil... atleast 1.5 hours before exercise. WHat is Rx BP Coffee? Also put sea salt and potassium in postworkout rice. 

• DespDesp
    edited October 2013

Consistent research against creatine, along with my biochemistry course. I don't like taking concentrated supplements, only from food. Many foods I eat like liver have coq10. Already incredibly strong and energetic. No need to mess around with drugs. All for fun.

This is interesting, I have only ever seen cyclist say this, although creatine is the most researched and backed supplement for efficacy. Is this a cyclist conspiracy to try and keep the competition down?

Creatine isn't a drug, it's in meat. Creatine is a nitrogenous organic acid, you simply can't consume enough from meat to become fully saturated that's why people supplement, why would this be a problem?

edited October 2013

This is interesting, I have only ever seen cyclist say this, although creatine is the most researched and backed supplement for efficacy. Is this a cyclist conspiracy to try and keep the competition down?

Creatine isn't a drug, it's in meat. Creatine is a nitrogenous organic acid, you simply can't consume enough from meat to become fully saturated that's why people supplement, why would this be a problem?

I don't know about a conspiracy in this case, cyclistsam seems pretty sincere. Long term safety of creatine supplementation is debatable at best. That being said, I still think it's an awesome nootropic and muscle building aid.

“The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.”

- Marcus Aurelius

• I don't know about a conspiracy in this case, cyclistsam seems pretty sincere. Long term safety of creatine supplementation is debatable at best. That being said, I still think it's an awesome nootropic and muscle building aid.

I have a friend that is a competitive cyclist and he is the only other person I've heard dismiss creatine. It's used in every single competitive sport yet I'm thinking there is some misinformation spreading through the cyclist community.

Where's the debate on long term safety?

• Research aside on creatine, the simple fact that it promotes water retention even at 5g or less doses makes use of it especially during the racing season pretty unlikely.  

• Hey guys.

I'm also a cyclist who races road, track and cyclocross. 

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease which is a looooong story in itself. I knew how to maintain my training and racing when I was gorging on carbs. Now I am slowly converting to BP, but trying to find out what works for me. I haven't been doing this long so I don't have much advice to add. All I know is that since I started adding healthy fats to my diet, my energy level has changed so much. 

What I'm mainly concerned with is what to eat leading up to races, and on race day pre and post race. Currently I'm in cyclocross season and I'm racing every weekend. Its been hard since the guys I travel with do not eat how I do nor are they very accommodating. Its been tough to say the least. I'm still working out the kinks with limiting sugars and carbs. Honestly I'm all over the place right now!

Once cyclocross season is over, I will start base training for road racing again. My main goal is to have my diet sorted by then. For now I'll take all the advice I can get!

Hey guys.

I'm also a cyclist who races road, track and cyclocross. 

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease which is a looooong story in itself. I knew how to maintain my training and racing when I was gorging on carbs. Now I am slowly converting to BP, but trying to find out what works for me. I haven't been doing this long so I don't have much advice to add. All I know is that since I started adding healthy fats to my diet, my energy level has changed so much. 

What I'm mainly concerned with is what to eat leading up to races, and on race day pre and post race. Currently I'm in cyclocross season and I'm racing every weekend. Its been hard since the guys I travel with do not eat how I do nor are they very accommodating. Its been tough to say the least. I'm still working out the kinks with limiting sugars and carbs. Honestly I'm all over the place right now!

Once cyclocross season is over, I will start base training for road racing again. My main goal is to have my diet sorted by then. For now I'll take all the advice I can get!

Pre-race. Be in ketosis. Use MCT oil.

During race. Make a drink with some sort of carb (dextrose or UCAN starch); BCAAs; MCT oil. Check out this video:

Post-race. Lots of carbs to replenish glycogen.

- Marcus Aurelius

• generate, I agree with Andy. Lots of ketosis promoting fats like coconut oil and mct oil and upgraded coffee before working out. Lots of dextrose (way cheaper than UCAN) during, and whey protein before and after as well, optional whey during since it depends on the length. Whey and mct oil post workout, no carbs for first few hours, no carbs right after workout. My testing has showed dramatic gains from only backloading with carbs in the evening!!! My heart rate is way lower without postworkout carbs and my body is way less stressed. But I consume alot of dextrose during so your intensity will determine whether a small amount of dextrose after will be necessary.

• edited October 2013
    Forgive the inner synic in me. But look at Ben's website shop. He has the Endurance pack for sale which guess what? Yes the 3 brand supplements are bundled and for sale. I'm not saying they don't work, but there is promotion with the above video.

Look Andy, guys like Ben, Josh, Dave Asprey etal have a long history of fitness, health, paleo, under their belts. So things they do are easier to quantify as they have a healthier long term base line of their bodies. Being in ketosis is hard to attain and harder to remain healthy when doing endurance and high energy demand sports. For the body to improve its glycogen replenishment ability to accommodate higher usage from these activities it has to be efficient at basic ketosis glycogen conversion. And even a highly efficient athlete like Ben still requires some extra boost outside of paleo/BP/healthy lifestyle.

My experience is I started paleo in Feb this year. Learnt about BP around June. Have lost 8 kg since starting. Im the average guy with limited financial resources and family commitments. I ride endurance mtn bikes. By this I mean 8 to 24 hr solo races. So my training is around 12 to 20 hrs per week. I try to keep HR to 70 - 75% of max, which is also my target race pace. Some sessions require higher rates to train different systems. What I have found with ketosis (eating less than 30g carbs per day) is body copes with lower intensity loads but can't recover enough between sessions of higher intensity loads. This leaves my muscles fatigued and me feeling lethargic. From what I've read I have also entered muscle canabalism a few times as well, not good so be warned.

I train early mornings between 4am and 730am b4 work, with a 4to6 hr ride on the weekend. After lots of reading, listening, watching and experimentation here is what i found to work best for me in terms of costs, fitness outcomes, ease of use etc.

Daily supplements: grass fed whey, grass fed collagen, 5000iu Vit D, 1500mg Vit C, 1500mg Acetyl Carnitine, 100mcg K2, 300mg Choline Bitartrate. Usual MCT, gf butter, BP vanilla. Whole paleo/BP foods. 2litres water. That's about it.

Training: 10g BCAA immediate pre ride, 10g BCAA immediate post ride, 15g whey protein with 15g maltodextrin (carb) post ride about 30 mins after BCAAs (stretch, shower, sit at desk and have this works well), 1 to 2 BP coffee until 7 hour feed window starts at 1pm. Open with an apple or banana or pear then into daily menu with more carb intake after 5pm (as Jason Miller suggests). Usually sweet pots, a little rice etc as per BP diet diagrams. Depending on how i feel, total carb on training days 70 to 100g incl post workout carbs. Usual refeed as per BP every 5th day.

On weekday rides I only have Himalayan salt in water bottles. On longer weekend ride I use Malodextrin and salt in alternate bottles with a few gels (yes a small cheat) in pocket.

Racing: is full on cheat at this time. No ulterior motives with the 2 brands mentioned next. I use Torq Energy sports drink (maltodextrin/fructose blend). Torq gels and Hammer gels alternate each hour. Hammer sports bars as they have some protein and fats but not too much that they shut my stomach down. These are used based on 78g carb per hour which is based on 1g per kg actual body weight. A little higher than my ideal body mass weight carb intake but the malto/fructose blend allows higher carb processing per hour, as well as the steady ongoing demands of the race lengths i do. This works well for me now. Basically on race day my body goes into carb euphoria and it feels like supercharged energy.

On 12 to 13 October 2013 I just completed the 24hour Solo World MTB Championships in Canberra, Australia. This was my first 24hr solo race since moving to paleo/BP (my 6th 24hr solo in total). I felt strong all the way through and placed 9th of 26 in the 45-49yr age group. With interruptions to my 12 month training schedule due to a broken wrist, and the quality of the competitors, this was a totally unexpected result. More importantly the best I've ever felt during and post race. Today 6 days on I still have plenty of aches and sore spots, but the body and mind are great. I've been on the bike which is usually a non event for a week or 2 post 24hr races.

My goal is to get the body really fat adapted and efficient in ketosis over the next year or so then move over to removing carb supplements during and post training. Then try to race in a ketosis state :-)

So I believe BP and paleo can work with these types of athletic pursuits but you have to be aware of your body's base line when you make changes, especially in moving away from carb energy sources. It can't occur for the average Joe in a few short months, but it can happen with patience and acceptance of some non paleo/BP compromises along the way. I hope there is something in the above recount of my 6 month BP journey so far for you the reader.

Attitude affects Attitude  :-P

• I really enjoyed the post above and agree with much of it, if I can add one thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME! don't change too much too quickly. Cutting the crap in your diet can and should be overnight, but when it comes to adding back in supplements and training aids do them one at a time. If you go HAM on the supps you wont know what works well or more importantly what doesn't work well and gives you disaster pants. Just like a bike fit, you never change your seat, stem, and bars all at the same time This is a lifestyle change and not a crash diet. 

Lastly make sure you follow all these rules as well... http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/  :cool:

• Thanks for the input guys. I will definitely be putting this into use when I get back on the bike.

A couple weeks back I crashed while training and ended up with a high grade 3 shoulder separation. I had surgery a week ago, and have only been able to ride my trainer (no handed and gingerly) since surgery. I'll be in a sling for 6 weeks and rehab for months after that. I'm glad it didn't happen in spring or summer but it still sucks as it ended my cyclocross season. This was just a run of the mill, over-the-handlebar crash in the woods on my cyclocross bike. I've crashed quite a few times this year... fast crashes too, and ended up with bruises but always came out in one piece. Its all how you hit the ground!

Anyways, now I am supplementing more for recovery, and eating BP so I'm not 20 lbs heavier when I get back on the bike in a couple months!

• How is everyone's cycling going?

any updates on diet or nutrition during/pre/post rides?

Been trying out some of the ideas on this thread and having some success, but it is still winter here in the UK and it has been tough to get out on the bike.

Lloyd

• http://www.generationucan.co.uk/storepage2230357.aspx

Anyone tried this supplement. supposed to be great for endurance sports and ketogenic diets. i have just brought some! 

• Anyone noticed their heart rate up by about 10% when riding on BP coffee..? Was out today in a group ride. Have just started BP coffee and noticed that I was up by 10% in average heart rate.

Is this normal? Does it reduce when you get use to it? What's other people experience?
    Thanks