Should I Be Ifing Yet?

I just finished my 11th day of IF, starting last Monday morning.  At the same time, I've been getting up early and going to a local park for what most normal people would consider light exercise, but has been pretty challenging for me:  I'm up to about 50 minutes of vigorous walking up with some hills involved, seems to keep me in the 120-140 bpm range although I don't have any devices to keep measurements.  After that, I keep walking at a slower pace for about 2-3 more hours.  Been doing this every morning without fail.

On the 7th evening I ate a hundred grams of steamed rice.  Otherwise I haven't had any carbs aside from whatever you get from raw vegetables, carrots probably being the highest.  

My endurance is increasing nicely, and I was losing weight daily (I never used to weigh myself, but last week I was down to about 85 kg, and doing a diy body fat test with a tape measure I came up with about 23-25%, so there's plenty to lose), but over the last 4-5 days it seems my weight is actually increasing somewhat, and now I'm hovering between 86-87.5 kg.

Now, after a good 2-3 years without any real exercise to speak of, I know I'm in for discomforts and pains.  I had shin splints for the first 5-6 days, and they passed.  My legs aren't sore in the way that you get from lifting, but everything from the hips to the thighs ache most of the time, and I get a decent burn when striding uphill.  

On top of that, in the last couple of days it seems like my legs are running out of gas.  I have my bpc every morning about 30-60 minutes before starting my walks, and I have plenty of energy, but it's weird, I can feel a sort of emptiness in my leg muscles, like whatever I'm burning for energy isn't making it to the cells or something.  

Anyway, with all that and with the minor weight gain, I'm thinking that all this sudden activity after years of comparatively sedentary habits, I'm probably putting on a bit of muscle and/or connective tissue, which of course is much denser and heavier than fat.  I've been faithful to the IF protocol as far as amount of food consumption goes--generally I have my bpc and one meal no earlier than 8 hours later--although because I work evenings I'm not always able to eat at the prescribed time, and often I'm in bed within an hour or three of eating, so maybe that's messing me up somehow.  

But if that's not really an issue, what I'm wondering is, should I just forget about the IF thing for a week or two and do daily or every other day something like 50-100g of good carbs? until the rapid growth is over with and things stabilize, is what I'm thinking.  I imagine I'll end up experimenting this way or that, but mainly I don't want to do any damage by depriving my body of needed nutrition.  

I'm not worried about any real long term damage, but I'm a fan of making things easy and fast whenever possible; I'm also not afraid of sucking it up and pushing through when called for.  I just don't really know how to make the call. 

Short version:  should I stick with IF and carb refeed every 3-7 days, or do daily carbs for the short term to ease the shock of all this new activity?  Does it even matter?

Thanks.  I hate asking dumb questions, but making a dumb choice here would be worse. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Eating more carbohydrates at first will be easier on your parasympathetic, and adrenal systems.  I propose that you will have an easier time sticking with it if you do some carb back-loading.  Get a good blood keytone monitor and see if you are in ketosis an hour after your morning Bulletproof coffee.  If you are not, you could always reduce your carbohydrate intake.  There are some others on the forms that have more experience that I do in this matter.

• How much do you weigh and what is your caloric intake? 

• hzahza ✭✭

Eating more carbohydrates at first will be easier on your parasympathetic, and adrenal systems.  I propose that you will have an easier time sticking with it if you do some carb back-loading.  Get a good blood keytone monitor and see if you are in ketosis an hour after your morning Bulletproof coffee.  If you are not, you could always reduce your carbohydrate intake.  There are some others on the forms that have more experience that I do in this matter.

I was thinking a bit extra carb at first would make it easier somewhere, and I for sure don't want to do any adrenal overtaxing.  I don't have the budget for any more gear right now, but I'll put a blood monitor on the list.  I'm also considering adding protein in the mornings in the immediate short term, too, and it wouldn't take much of that to break IF.

@Dev, like I said above, I'm fluctuating between 85-87.5 kg.  I haven't been counting calories--it was my impression that you don't need to do that when you're doing bp.  I track how much butter and mct I'm adding to my food, I have a rough idea of protein intake, and whether or not I eat complex carbs, and how much.  But all the actual food that I eat, I don't know how that breaks down into calories, and I'm not a competitive athlete or anything so I'm not all that interested in getting into the weeds with it.

• I have always had a good amount of pain. Have you looked on YouTube for leg stretches after your exercise? Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar to combat the increase in lactic acid due to the exercise?