Suggestions For Essential Bulletproof Cookware?

edited July 2013 in Recipes

What are your suggestions of the essential cookware to being a bulletproof chef?

So far I am thinking a flavor-wave, light ceramic pans/pots (would love for someone to suggest a specific set from amazon), and a glass cutting board. 

My explanations:

-Flavorwave: No sure about the flavor-wave, but everyone seems to be in agreement that it is best.

-Light Enamel Pots/Cookware: Dave suggests relatively thin enamel pans are "the way to go", because the heavier ones hold heat for 5-10 minutes after you take off the burner, and can over cook your food.

-Glass cutting board: It seems to me that wooden or plastic cutting board are susceptible to bacterial and mold, not to mention any micro-particles of plastic entering your food while you cut on it, right?

Would love everyone to make suggestions, turning this into a complete list of essential Bulletproof Cooking Set! :)

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

Comments

• Any suggestions for stirrers?

Currently I use a plastic spoon, so I am thinking of switching to a wooden one, but I feel like that might be harder to keep bacteria or mold from growing in sense the cheap wooden spoons hold water.

How about Storage Containers?

I know Dave Asprey suggests, glass storage containers, but I think they run a little expensive, and possible fragile?

Would Stainless steel storage boxes work, or is there a risk of nickel contamination, like as in stainless steel frying pans?

http://www.lunchbots.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CT6O0A/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bulletpexecut-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B004CT6O0A

Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• Best glass container for bulk storage in my kitchen is a Mason jar.  I have dozens of them, both quart and 1/2 gallon size. They are cheap and fairly tough.  I also add one piece plastic lids to replace the 2 piece metal ones.

• Best glass container for bulk storage in my kitchen is a Mason jar.  I have dozens of them, both quart and 1/2 gallon size. They are cheap and fairly tough.  I also add one piece plastic lids to replace the 2 piece metal ones.

==========================

Thanks for the reply, I cant believe I didnt consider that an option! I even just read a whole list of sites that provide bpa free mason jars over on mark sisson's site!

• -Glass cutting board: It seems to me that wooden or plastic cutting board are susceptible to bacterial and mold, not to mention any micro-particles of plastic entering your food while you cut on it, right?

Would love everyone to make suggestions, turning this into a complete list of essential Bulletproof Cooking Set! :)

Please, I beg you, don't use a cutting board made of glass. (This is so important to me that it's my first post... though much is yet to come from me!)

Any decent quality product made of actual wood (as in, not sawdust and glue pressed together) is okay for kitchen use. Wood has natural antibacterial properties, as long as you don't soak it or scrub it with bleach or anything drastic.

A glass/marble/similar cutting board will ruin the edge of your knife. Dull knives suck.

If you're really afraid of wood, a high quality plastic one will do, but wood really is best.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I use this, its really good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Creuset-Enamel-Interior-Frying/dp/B008RX6HUE/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1382329306&sr=8-32&keywords=la+creuset+cookware

I can see what he means with the food still cooking for 5 minutes after you remove it from the heat. You know how I avoid that? I serve the food instead of wandering off ;-)

• Anyone have tips for taking care of cast iron? I avoid using soap on mine, just scrub it with a stiff brush and coat it with coconut oil after each use. I figure that'd be more heat stable than coating it with another type of oil.

• Please, I beg you, don't use a cutting board made of glass. (This is so important to me that it's my first post... though much is yet to come from me!)

Any decent quality product made of actual wood (as in, not sawdust and glue pressed together) is okay for kitchen use. Wood has natural antibacterial properties, as long as you don't soak it or scrub it with bleach or anything drastic.

A glass/marble/similar cutting board will ruin the edge of your knife. Dull knives suck.

If you're really afraid of wood, a high quality plastic one will do, but wood really is best.

====================

Yeah, I eventually settled on a bamboo cutting board from my local grocery store, I bought two: One for meats & One for Veggies/fruits. I was them once a week in the dish washer and then re-oil them.

• Never Stop Moving: Progress in some aspect of your life everyday, move forward in it, whether it be your job, school, body, mind, or relationships. Constantly better yourself!

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    edited June 2014

scrubbing with a stiff brush has probably damaged the pan's seasoning. A well seasoned cast iron pan is completely nonstick because the fat used for seasoning polymerizes with the metal.

I am not sure of the health consequences of cooking on polymerized fat, so I have suspended using mine while I dig for reliable data.

Anyone have tips for taking care of cast iron? I avoid using soap on mine, just scrub it with a stiff brush and coat it with coconut oil after each use. I figure that'd be more heat stable than coating it with another type of oil.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• i saw something online that suggested reseasoning cast iron by coating in coconut oil and baking for an hour or two at 350 degrees, repeating the process if necessary. i decided to do that method since we're always trying to avoid bringing fats to high temperatures on the BP diet. it definitely made my cast iron look better, but it seems like no matter how much i wipe it with a paper towel there is always a little bit of brown grease. is this normal? is it unhealthy? 

• NickatNickat
    edited January 2014

What are your suggestions of the essential cookware to being a bulletproof chef?

So far I am thinking a flavor-wave, light ceramic pans/pots (would love for someone to suggest a specific set from amazon), and a glass cutting board. 

My explanations:

-Flavorwave: No sure about the flavor-wave, but everyone seems to be in agreement that it is best.

-Light Enamel Pots/Cookware: Dave suggests relatively thin enamel pans are "the way to go", because the heavier ones hold heat for 5-10 minutes after you take off the burner, and can over cook your food.

-Glass cutting board: It seems to me that wooden or plastic cutting board are susceptible to bacterial and mold, not to mention any micro-particles of plastic entering your food while you cut on it, right?

Hi, where the enameled pots and pans a success?

and why not stainless steel ones?

• edited January 2014

As for cutting boards, I just use BPA-free HDPE NSF approved color coded boards.  Might not be the most Bulletproof, but it allows me to avoid cross-contamination and to clean & sanitize at high temps and reuse frequently.  I am a hobbyist bbq-er & food preserver, and work with a lot of different meats and veggies often.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLC0F2I/

• Hi, where the enameled pots and pans a success?

and why not stainless steel ones?

===========

Just saw this,

and yeah the cookware set is badass. I assume stainless steel is fine but i like non-stick pans